OnX hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.

WKR

WKR
Eric Siegfried and his company onX have vocally positioned themselves as champions for opening access to landlocked public land.

Eric Siegfried and his company Cottonwood Outfitters have discretely obtained guiding permits to 10,000 acres of federal land and unknown acres of state lands and leased surrounding private lands to block access. This Bureau of Land Management land near Locate, MT is just one of many prime chunks Eric controls access to. Hunt Quietly will be highlighting other pieces in coming weeks.
The hunting industry has a long history of using the money we spend on their products to make it so we have fewer places to use the products. For other examples, watch this talk:

Understand who you’re buying from, and spend wisely!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231018-194338_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018-194338_onX Hunt.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Screenshot_20231018-194328_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018-194328_onX Hunt.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Screenshot_20231018-194308_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018-194308_onX Hunt.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Screenshot_20231018-194013_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018-194013_Drive.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Screenshot_20231018-194005_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018-194005_Drive.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Screenshot_20231018-193958_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018-193958_Drive.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 272
I use OnX because everyone else does. But I was also thinking about how many honeyholes are stored on OnX servers, and how they might start to monetize that.

Buying prime land and starting your own outfitting business using private data exploitation is the exact best move to dominate the hunting industry.

This makes me sad, but also powerless...

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I use OnX because everyone else does. But I was also thinking about how many honeyholes are stored on OnX servers, and how they might start to monetize that.

Buying prime land and starting your own outfitting business using private data exploitation is the exact best move to dominate the hunting industry.

This makes me sad, but also powerless...
You aren't powerless, there are other mapping apps out there.

Was the public land accessible before his guiding company leases the private property? If not, he's keeping the status quo. If the public was accessible before he took over, he's going to lose a lot of customers.

I switched to Go Hunt last year and this thread makes me glad that I switched.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have onX and I have not spent time in Area 7...But, I’m curious if anyone has had negative interactions with Cottonwood Outfitters or their ranches?

To me, a wealthy tech CEO buying prime real estate or owning an outfitting business is of lesser consequence (or shock). While the optics are ridiculously hypocritical, I’m more curious what the reputation of that outfit is in the local community? Is Siegfried and company taking folks to court for trespassing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WRO
I'm so paranoid that I store all of my waypoints on my handheld GPS. I simply dont trust any of the mapping companies these days. How easy would it be for them to draw tags and see every waypoint in any given unit in any place on the internet.

I can't prove it but I GAURANTEE that ONX gave the "HP" crew several of my waypoints. The odds in them hunting the same EXACT two places as me 1700 miles away from one another would be like hitting the Powerball 7 times in a row....

I gave anything app related to coordinates on my phone up at that point. I don't trust any of these jokers. Just imagine the data that they have access to. lol

CorbLand

WKR
Was the public land accessible before his guiding company leases the private property? If not, he's keeping the status quo. If the public was accessible before he took over, he's going to lose a lot of customers.

You dont think that GoHunt is going/isnt already mining that data?

I would argue that GoHunt could do far more damage than OnX can with waypoints and information.

All these companies are mining that information. The yearly subscription covers the overhead, its your data that provides the profit.

To me the problem is the hypocrisy. This guy's company launches a campaign to tell you about how they are working to identify and open access while simultaneously profiting from some of it's closure.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
To me the problem is the hypocrisy. This guy's company launches a campaign to tell you about how they are working to identify and open access while simultaneously profiting from some of it's closure.
Bingo!

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
The hypocrisy of some folks really amazes me sometimes.

I haven't been using OnX mainly because I didn't like having to pay for 3 different apps to get the same features in another app for a lot less money.

OnX Hunt Elite - $99yr
OnX Offroad - $35 or $99 per yr depending on subscription
OnX Backcountry - $30 or $99 per yr depending on subscription

I can get all those features in GAIA for $40 per year and it's all in one app. OnX is all marketing.

The hypocrisy of some folks really amazes me sometimes.

I haven't been using OnX mainly because I didn't like having to pay for 3 different apps to get the same features in another app for a lot less money.

OnX Hunt Elite - $99yr
OnX Offroad - $35 or $99 per yr depending on subscription
OnX Backcountry - $30 or $99 per yr depending on subscription

I can get all those features in GAIA for $40 per year and it's all in one app. OnX is all marketing.

I need to look into GAIA then. Hopefully it is more accurate than OnX. If you believe them about the trails that are open to dirtbikes around here. It is going to be an expensive lesson.

You dont think that GoHunt is going/isnt already mining that data?

I would argue that GoHunt could do far more damage than OnX can with waypoints and information.

All these companies are mining that information. The yearly subscription covers the overhead, its your data that provides the profit.
I don't disagree with you on all points. As a database manager, I'm able to view a lot of a data that the normal user doesn't have access to.

Websites that track hunting points have access to to view user's points and what units are being viewed the most. That gives them an inside edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.