OnX Maps Updated Now I’m seeing Snow?

TexasCub

WKR
Well something updated on my OnX Maps and now areas that were free of snow (both on the map and in real time) now have snow all over indicating it’s winter in certain critical parts of my map. What’s the deal with that? Has anyone else noticed this?

Jbehredt

WKR
The most recent software update had newer maps. Their most recent maps must be from winter. I saw lots of changing aspens in the previous version.

EagleEye

FNG
I noticed the same. I emailed support and here’s what they said: Thank you for reaching out to us with this issue. We’ve noticed some issues with the new satellite imagery as well. These images come to us from a 3rd-party vendor, and they recently did a major update. Ever since then, we’ve noticed some spots with cloud and snow cover, and some areas with poor resolution at high zoom levels. We are currently in the process of finding a different source for our satellite imagery, and we should have it updated soon. Thanks for your patience and understanding while we take care of this issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The snow areas are unfortunate but it is a step in the right direction. OnX is awesome but they were/are way behind in what resolution should be. Backcountry navigator is well beyond them in that department.

sveltri

WKR
I had the same problem headlining into the season, I e-mailed and got the same response as EagleEye. I followed up this week and was told the imagery had been updated, but I wasn't seeing it yet. I had to update the app and then open and completely close it a couple times but the snow finally went away.

Same issue here. The area of WY i'm going was updated a while ago and it's during the winter lol. Not exactly helpful!

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I just got an email yesterday saying they were introducing some here is where they talk about it. I haven't gone in and played with it yet. I should as I'm leaving soon for a trip.

New Aerial, Topo and Hybrid Basemaps Hit onX Hunt | onX

Here is the note at the end on the update. Pay attention to step 2

1) Update to newest App version: Download and run the most up-to-date version of the onX App. Android 4.21 and iOS 4.17 versions and moving forward will feature the new basemaps.

2) Save or re-save your Offline Maps for this fall: Remember, any maps you have saved for Off-Grid use will need to be re-saved to include the new basemaps.

3) Delete old saved maps: If you are saving a new map in an area with an older saved map, you will need to delete the old saved map in order to see the new Basemaps when offline.

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
Same here...I’m currently updating to the latest for iPhone, 4.18.1. We’ll see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
My droid has been pooched for a cpl weeks now. Layer tab would not show without internet. I just cleaned all cache and deleted the app, installed todays update and still pooched. Deleted the cache again, uninstalled and updated just like I did 10 minutes before and this time I got 4.22.2 from 4.21.3 and I can now turn on/off layers when offline and the weather icon is back.

DRUSS

WKR
Mine keeps shutting off. I cleared cache, then cleared data. Worked for a couple days now it's back to shutting off again. A week before my elk trip starts! Damn electronics....

MtnOyster

WKR
Just wondering...…………..have any of you noticed any changes to the updates?? As far as boundaries go?? I figure ownership has but wondering if you notice any boundaries changing recently?

mvmnts

WKR
You can get multiple sat imagery layers in caltopo, and you can also go back in time with google earth. That may help you work around the issues you're having in onx, but of course, you'll be stuck with using their snowy maps if you use onx in the field.