Pack Advice

unm1136

WKR
Keep an eye on the auction sites too. Every few weeks or so Fleabay gets Kifaru stuff, and I have seen EMRs going for $400-450, and even KUs there. Gunbroker gets them less often, but frequently at better prices. As a matter of fact, I just found a lightly used EMR in multicam with all kinds of accessories that I picked up for $520 shipped. I priced the stuff out on the Kifaru Site and came to $1022 for the accessories I could identify, and I will have it in time for Christmas. The EMR is a brute, but I can part out the accessories to finance a DT1 bag, or I can use a cargo panel and several pods to make a much lighter pack.

From the Kifaru Forum Mel does some price comparing:
Hey guys, just wanted to give you something to ponder on here. The price of an MMR with standard top lid is $596.00. The price of the above setup (MMR Platform, one large Pod, and 3 medium Pods), is $411.00. That is almost a two hundred dollar difference. I thought I would mention this option for those that might be on a budget, yet wanted a Duplex pack. Also, there are some advantages to the Pods on the frame setup, as you can separate your gear into the different Pods, and have quick and easy access to that gear. You also have the capability to mix and match your Pod setup, and carry just what you need on the frame depending on your intended use.

Mel
From this thread:http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=18012&page=3

Come to think of it a Duplex frame with four pods is right in the spending zone there. Use that, get a feel for it, and you can upgrade to a bag in a few years for $269-$350. In fact, until I lucked into this EMR, this was my plan. A DT1 frame, KU pods, and save my pennies for 2-3 years to get a DT1 bag. Not only that, but when you buy a frame you can take your time deciding on a bag and choose from EMR, MMR, AG1, AG2, DT1,2,3, and Longhunter. One of the guys here even did a long thread that I have bookmarked on another computer where he assembled other manufacturer's packs on a Kifaru MMR frame.

Good luck,

pat

OP
WyoBowhunter21
So I have a random question. Since kifaru and the new stone packs appear to have the meat or load close to your back why is a tenzing pack not a good pack? The way tenzing has there meat shelf is very similar to what I saw in the other two packs mentioned. Just curious if someone could explain it to me.

Shrek

WKR
Functional load lifters. Kifaru and Stone Glacier have them and Tenzing doesn't. If you are going to put heavy loads in a pack you want lifters.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Keep an eye on the auction sites too. Every few weeks or so Fleabay gets Kifaru stuff, and I have seen EMRs going for $400-450, and even KUs there. Gunbroker gets them less often, but frequently at better prices. As a matter of fact, I just found a lightly used EMR in multicam with all kinds of accessories that I picked up for $520 shipped. I priced the stuff out on the Kifaru Site and came to $1022 for the accessories I could identify, and I will have it in time for Christmas. The EMR is a brute, but I can part out the accessories to finance a DT1 bag, or I can use a cargo panel and several pods to make a much lighter pack.

From the Kifaru Forum Mel does some price comparing:
From this thread:http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=18012&page=3

Come to think of it a Duplex frame with four pods is right in the spending zone there. Use that, get a feel for it, and you can upgrade to a bag in a few years for $269-$350. In fact, until I lucked into this EMR, this was my plan. A DT1 frame, KU pods, and save my pennies for 2-3 years to get a DT1 bag. Not only that, but when you buy a frame you can take your time deciding on a bag and choose from EMR, MMR, AG1, AG2, DT1,2,3, and Longhunter. One of the guys here even did a long thread that I have bookmarked on another computer where he assembled other manufacturer's packs on a Kifaru MMR frame.

Good luck,

pat

Do you by chance have a link to that thread or know the title? I really like your idea. I wasn't sure which bags have the duplex frame.

stephen b

WKR
Buy the way- here is another cool thing I figured out ( I am the one that did the thread linked above- and some of the pack bags in that thread have gone down the road- but I am still doing/using some different bags on the MMR frame besides my Kifaru LH Guide bag on the Kifaru Frame)

So here is a Stone Glacier Solo bag on the MMR frame, and it was way easy to do ( and I really like this bag on the frame, and hunted with it in the late season- but unfortunately did not carry out a buck with it):

And you can also do the reverse and I can put a Kifaru LH guide bag on the SG frame ( but does not work quite as easy as putting the SG bag on the Kifaru frame).

P1020769.jpg

P1020770.jpg

P1020771-1.jpg

P1020773.jpg

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
So I have a random question. Since kifaru and the new stone packs appear to have the meat or load close to your back why is a tenzing pack not a good pack? The way tenzing has there meat shelf is very similar to what I saw in the other two packs mentioned. Just curious if someone could explain it to me.

I used my Tenzing 5000 to help pack out my buddies bull. The pack wasn't that far in terms of miles, roughly 1.5. All uphill of course, with blow downs and thick reprod. Fun stuff let me tell you. I stuffed roughly a 100# in that pack. I was destroyed after that pack out. The load lifters aren't high enough off the shoulder straps to actually lift. I had all the straps cinched tightly but experienced a lot of side to side shift in the pack. This caused me to take a few spills going over some of the blow downs. I also found that a lot of the straps would slip and I had to constantly readjust them.

Do I dislike my Tenzing? No but I definitely found its limitations. I think it would be fine to about 75# max load, but I'd say that's pushing it. If you had to take gear along with meat you'd be making a few extra trips in my opinion. The frame is just not rigid enough for heavy loads.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Buy the way- here is another cool thing I figured out ( I am the one that did the thread linked above- and some of the pack bags in that thread have gone down the road- but I am still doing/using some different bags on the MMR frame besides my Kifaru LH Guide bag on the Kifaru Frame)

So here is a Stone Glacier Solo bag on the MMR frame, and it was way easy to do ( and I really like this bag on the frame, and hunted with it in the late season- but unfortunately did not carry out a buck with it):

And you can also do the reverse and I can put a Kifaru LH guide bag on the SG frame ( but does not work quite as easy as putting the SG bag on the Kifaru frame).

P1020769.jpg

P1020770.jpg

P1020771-1.jpg

P1020773.jpg

Thanks for that thread! It was very helpful to see how versatile that frame is. I will mess with different bags on it like you did once I get one ha

what shoulder straps are those?

stephen b

WKR
Blacks creek....I think.

Good Eye- Aron knows his packs. They are off of a BC Western pack that I have from a while ago.

I do like the Kifaru sh. straps and with real heavy, heavy loads they ( Kifaru) are probably more comfortable. But for most loads and all day carry these BC sh. straps are very comfortable. Thin and flexible.