Pack Cover

I have the EMR II and was curious what, if any, pack covers are you guys using? Is it necessary or do you just keep all of your gear in waterproof bags? Thanks for the input!

Justin

KMT

WKR
I use a cheap lightweight cover from REI. I definitely use it when it's raining, even though I keep down jacket and bag in a waterproof bag. My kifaru pack is not even slightly waterproof. So it can gain 5-6 pounds easily in a prolonged rain.

A contractor weight trash bag as a liner inside of your pack will keep the contents dry, but not the pack itself. Since most packs have zippers the makers don't worry about using waterproof fabrics, which means that the pack itself can get saturated as KMT mentioned during a prolonged or heavy rain. You can buy a pack cover for your pack, or you can use a poncho over you and the pack to keep it dry. The advantage of the poncho is that you stay dry and the shoulder straps and waist belt also stay dry. Plus, you don't have water running down between your back and the pack frame or pack body.