Packed a whitetail for the first time yesterday

ChrisAU

WKR
Was a very fun hunt. Part of the property I hunt is cut off by the East Fork of the Choctawhatchee River. We cross it on the north side via zipline, but on the south side it requires a jon boat and then waders if you want to move around much as a bunch of smaller creeks run into it on the south side and ox bows are abundant also. So yesterday morning I put on the waders and paddled across the river with my pack and rifle, then waded my way into a spot that I love that sees no pressure because its so hard to get to. Paid off. 2nd or 3rd biggest whitetail of my life, just shy of 140". Deboned him on the ground just like we've done a couple elk. Buddy that hunts with me made it to me to help about an hour and a half after I shot, and he started heading to me as soon as he heard me shoot. Unique hunt for down here, hope to have a few more like this!

DM5xBRT.jpeg

UA7EpUV.jpeg

9gmlP83.jpeg

cwFPGtp.jpeg

wEXnyOc.jpeg

6Ujicsv.jpeg

Laramie

WKR
Congrats! I have packed several whitetail and mule deer. I really like coming home with a cooler of meat vs a whole deer.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Great buck. I packed one out yesterday, as well. You should get you a pirogue to hunt those areas.

Last edited:

WIcowGuy

FNG
Looks like an awesome hunt, and a fantastic buck, congrats! I've always wanted to pack out my deer in wisco just for more field practice due to my limited trips out west, but for some reason the law states all deer must be removed whole, and I'm not quite beastly enough to haul a complete buck out on my back just yet. Enjoy! And great pics!

Very nice. Mine from the NF last year was similar, but I didn't have to wade across any creeks. There are some great whitetail hunts to be had for those who are willing and able to apply western packing techniques.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Great Buck! Man, when I moved to Colorado 15 years ago from South Carolina, I thought people were crazy for breaking down and packing a deer out of the woods in a backpack. Now, I think people are crazy for dragging them out whole! All the places I hunt require a decent hike to get to, its just soo much easier to haul them out this way, versus trying to drag them out! That said, the last couple late season elk I've got, bringing them out with a sled was the best thing since sliced bread :)

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Well done! You got any picks of this zipline setup you've got for crossing the river? First time of heard of that being used to access a hunting area

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Well done! You got any picks of this zipline setup you've got for crossing the river? First time of heard of that being used to access a hunting area

My buddies dad set this up 20 years ago probably. It works great, it’s just loud ha. You can get almost all the way across with a running start going in, but then you have to pull yourself across coming out.

81CEF106-A422-4B59-AB8E-8B4C548B80F3.jpeg

Cfriend

FNG
Awesome buck! I've started packing most of mine out as well, and I am definitely finished with dragging them long distances. Packing is so much easier and quicker.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk