Packed a whitetail for the first time yesterday

Awesome buck! I've started packing most of mine out as well, and I am definitely finished with dragging them long distances. Packing is so much easier and quicker.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
After the last one I dragged over 3/4 mi. out of state land in a humid 85 degrees, I said no mas. Never again would I drag one. That was 5 years ago and I haven't since. My whole hunting setup with a quartered deer with head/antlers puts about 70 lbs. on my back. Hiking that out is infinitely easier than dragging a 150 lb. deer that I'm gonna throw half of away anyway. Now if there's snow and I have a sled, that might be different, but still only for shorter distances.

Congratulations! The tarp is definitely the ticket. I never used one this year but learned quickly how it helps so much to keep everything clean. It will definitely e in my kill kit from here on out. Once again great job!

I especially like packing out Coues Bucks down in AZ!

Congrats on the nice buck and load of meat. Adds to the experience, and you are way ahead when you get home as far as processing with just quarters and boned meat.

Congratulations! The tarp is definitely the ticket. I never used one this year but learned quickly how it helps so much to keep everything clean. It will definitely e in my kill kit from here on out. Once again great job!
Instead of a tarp I use a small piece of clear 6mil plastic I get from work. It comes in 10'x100' rolls and a small 5'x5' piece weighs nothing and folds up small. As stated it really helps keep the meat clean

BAKPAKR

WKR
That is a great looking buck. Congrats!

I am always amazed at how foreign the idea of packing a deer sounds to many eastern hunters. I remember seeing a kid drag a spike buck about 3.5 miles UP a gated road almost 20 years ago. I think about that every time I hunt that spot.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Instead of a tarp I use a small piece of clear 6mil plastic I get from work. It comes in 10'x100' rolls and a small 5'x5' piece weighs nothing and folds up small. As stated it really helps keep the meat clean

Yep that’s what we use elk hunting. Oz shaving for this type of hunt wasn’t at the forefront, so the $2.99 tarp got the job lol. Even hosed it off back at the house and it’s ready to go again haha.

That’s a tank of a buck, congratulations! I’ve been toying with packing deer out versus dragging them to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggie

FNG
Haven't drug one out in 3 years and never plan to again. Much easier than dragging as well as less waste and work to do once you get home.
MR Pack.jpg

naters113

FNG
I have never attempted this before as a whitetail hunter in Michigan but would love to do so. Does anyone have a good video they have used or article or guide? We are prepping for a moose hunt in Canada so I would love to get some practice in first.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I have never attempted this before as a whitetail hunter in Michigan but would love to do so. Does anyone have a good video they have used or article or guide? We are prepping for a moose hunt in Canada so I would love to get some practice in first.

Randy Newberg has some excellent videos on YouTube doing elk, that's how I got some basics ingrained in me before going on my first elk hunt a few years ago. Search Randy Newberg Gutless Method, I'd post a link but YouTube is blocked at work. The cool thing is a whitetail is much smaller and much easier to handle, and excellent practice IMO for someone getting ready to do a public land back country hunt.

It's amazing what I've learned from hunting out West that has helped us in the East. Packing in and quartering deer on the spot has got to be the most useful. We'll quarter a deer between a few of us and keep hunting with the quarters in our packs in certain cases.

eakin8

FNG
Great job! I'm planning on learning to do this for next season. Up to this point I've pretty much been able to get to all my deer with an ATV or something of the sort. However, next year I plan to hunt public land more and don't intend to drag a deer by myself so will be looking to buy a good pack and researching how to do this. Will probably practice on the first doe I get a chance at in archery season behind my house.

Great job! I'm planning on learning to do this for next season. Up to this point I've pretty much been able to get to all my deer with an ATV or something of the sort. However, next year I plan to hunt public land more and don't intend to drag a deer by myself so will be looking to buy a good pack and researching how to do this. Will probably practice on the first doe I get a chance at in archery season behind my house.
Do you butcher your own deer? If you've taken quarters off of a deer before that's probably the hardest part of it all in my opinion.

eakin8

FNG
Yes I do, although I sometimes still struggle with the hind quarters. The fronts are much easier as I'm sure you know.

If you can do that it might take a little extra time in the field but you'll be all set for getting one quartered out. Makes it nice not have to gut the deer or skin it once you get home too!