Packing a heavy load with the Bikini Highcamp 7k

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
So yesterday I went backpacking with my wife and 1.5 yr old son. My wife cant currently carry a pack due to an injury, so she just pushed the stroller with the lil one. I had about 100lbs in my Highcamp, and it carried like a DREAM! We hiked in on a forest road about 5 miles to a lake where we set up camp. I carried all of the gear for all of us. Obviously i could have gotten by with dramatically lower weight, but i wanted to test the pack, and since this was just an overnighter i wanted to bring some good eats, luxuries, and beer for my wifes first outing.

I have taken the pack out on several backpacking trips so far with just me and a buddy of mine, but have yet to get the weight to anything over 45lbs or so. I must say that while carrying 100lbs isnt exactly ideal, but it felt as comfortable as 100lbs can be. I felt i could have easily carried that pack for quite a distance.

I had the capacity of the pack pretty much maxed out as well, which was nice to test, especially with a heavy load. I have full confidence now with this pack for my upcoming hunts, and have complete faith it wont let me down when packing out a heavy load of meat.

I am really happy I chose this pack/frame now, this was my first Kifaru, and I am loving it. I have owned many packs in my day, but hands down this one beats em all by a mile.

On a different note, my wife and son had a great time, and she wants to go out again. Next time I will have her carry a little weight and break her in slow.

P.S. Beer weight and fresh food weight adds up fast, lol

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to hear you are liking your new pack, and even better that it let you get out with your family! How did your son do? I am sure packing everything for a toddler presented some challenges, kudos to you and your wife for getting him out there!

OP
T

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
He did great, we took the hike itself nice and also. He walked maybe 1/2 mile and rode in the stroller for the rest of it( Bob strollers are awesome!) . Then he had a blast at camp just being a little boy playing with sticks, rocks, and dirt haha. Now that he is walking we will be doing trips more frequently.