Packraft gear

Clarktar

WKR
I've packed the PR49 7ish miles off trail. It's doable, but as ThinHorn mentioned it is purpose built and hiking lots of miles and adding a packraft is not where it shines.

If I was looking to hike 10+ miles often, and have a float component that did not involve adding a 100+ lbs of meat I would opt for a different make/model.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
The PR49 is barely a pack raft, you can pack it from where a plane drops you off over to the river but you probably aren’t carrying one on an extended hike. I suppose you can and I’m sure it’s been done but it would not be my first choice if I were doing a real hike. I like my pr49, but it’s a fairly purpose built piece of gear. Whenever I use it, I’m getting dropped off by boat, plane or just the back of the truck and walking it to the shore I’m launching from.

I've packed the PR49 7ish miles off trail. It's doable, but as ThinHorn mentioned it is purpose built and hiking lots of miles and adding a packraft is not where it shines.

If I was looking to hike 10+ miles often, and have a float component that did not involve adding a 100+ lbs of meat I would opt for a different make/model.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Well said guys...I agree completely with the points you both made.

The PR-49HD has a niche, and its spec's have matched extremely well for my chosen outdoor pursuits, e.g., remote drop moose camps, 7-10 day remote drop floats, or just simply loading in the truck for my wife and I to enjoy together on a weekend camping trip.

There are lighter and much more compactable options out there for those who primarily seek to add rafting to distance back-packing adventures.

Last edited:

JohnnyR

FNG
I've been packrafting for about five years and go on very short trips, zero overnights, nothing like the previous posters have done. FYI.
-Personally, I'd avoid storing things in the tubes and using the zipper much unless you can keep it very clean. I had mine not closing and it was a challenge getting it to work. Came home, put on zipper lube and it worked great immediately. If you do plan on using it, keep it very clean and bring some zipper lube and tooth picks.
-Watch Pristine Venture videos and check out how he packs and what he takes on the PR49 and Cork rafts. Good music, great learning just watching the details. If I ever did a moose/caribou I'd get a Cork, my 2 cents. AK Docs pictures in other threads are pretty motivating also.
Don't forget about the Alpacka Forager. 1,000lbs capacity.

Being able to put stuff inside the tubes is advantageous. If gear is placed in quality, well-sized dry bags and evenly weighted on each side of the boat, it both frees up tons of room topside and, most importantly, acts as backup flotation if there was external tube failure. You basically have three or five tubes instead of one. That's a comforting safety factor. Having the weight down lower also makes the boat MUCH more stable.

As for the zipper issues, it's the same zipper used on dry suits and requires the same attentions/maintenance/repairs at times. Bring an old toothbrush, a 3"x3" square of cotton fabric and a tube of zipper lube - all packed into a ziploc baggie along with the mandatory repair kit of sealant & Tenacious or Gorilla tape - and perform PM on the zipper each time you open/close. Biggest thing is removing all sand/grit/etc. from the teeth. Know how to fix the main failure modes. Alpacka has a couple good videos on this. https://www.alpackaraft.com/rafting/repair-guide/

Also, Alpacka treats us vets well with a discount if you ask them.
I plan to get one of Larry's rafts, although our two Alpacka's are holding up fine. Seems like the Pioneer X-Stream would be perfect to shove in the back of our Cessna Skywagon for drop-offs on the larger river or lake systems.

OP
B

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from my sheep hunt/float. Didn't close the deal on a stone ram but what a great time. Was expecting a slow paddle/drag the boat as we were told the first river was pretty low. What we got was 12 miles of white knuckle white water. What a great time. couldn't wipe the smile off our faces. Had to pull over to dump the water out a dozen times or so but i needed the rest to calm the nerves. Damn these Alpacka rafts are tough. I read that a ton of times before but until you run over ugly rocks at high speed multiple times its hard to believe these light boats can handle that. Learned a ton. glad I had my chest waders/rain gear/Croc combo. Also the storage in the tubes is a life saver. anyone build a custom spray guard on these rafts? they don't offer one for the explorer 42. Already pumped to try a new river next year for sheep.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've tried many 4-piece paddles and I've had best luck with a 240cm 4-piece AQUA BOUND fiberglass composite with plastic Manta Ray blades. Durable as hell as long as you dont use them for prying your packraft off a rock or over a shallow riffle. Thats about the only time i've seen the tips chip off or snap. And beat the shart out of paddles up North. Safe bet.

Consider a lightweight dry suit with neoprene booties. You'll find the Alpacka design finds you seated in the floor of the hull on top a cushion. Most guys I know put a thin ThermaRest inflatable mattress in the floor for warmth and rigidity.

Agree with all these other river rats...the lighter you can travel the better your boating experience will be before and after the harvest is loaded aboard.

Also agree with take many day trips close to home and work up to large awkward loads that mimic your expected max load with a harvest. Instead of taking your rifle on these trips, take the dry bag for it filled with 10-lbs of rocks or whatever....so you dont lose your kill kit before season.

Once you get to about 60-70% of its max load, your knowledge will expand exponentially regarding your actual abilities...well before season so you're properly schooled up on that reality. This might be true also with other rafts as a newcomer, but especially true with lightweight packrafts. Its generally when the raft is loaded heavily and oddly when the real shit is learned about a fabric's limitations.

HoneyDew

WKR
@Clarktar @thinhorn_AK Can either of you give a description of the PR-49 and accessories when it’s compressed for transit? Trying to envision it for hiking past the five mile mark for haul road caribou. I know the weight is ~15 lbs but what’s the volume and shape like? Between the raft, floor, pump, and paddle trying to understand and picture everything for packing purposes. It’s says it comes with a carry bag. Does everything fit in that? What’s that final size and shape? Thanks!