Palisades Idaho hunt

A buddy and I are planning a backpack hunt into the Palisade zone in September for archery elk. We are both from out of state and can't make a boots on the ground scouting trip before the season. We have narrowed it down to the 67 unit and we are doing our E-scouting. Does anybody have some recent information on Grizzly or wolf activity, and how the herd has faired after that rough winter a couple years ago? We have made 3 or 4 plans of attack so far. We plan to go deep and get gain some altitude as that seems to be where we have heard the elk are. If anyone is familiar with the area I would love to bounce our ideas off of you. And yes we are getting in shape, been hitting trails since April.

Wouldn't be my first choice of units, but its not the unit I hunt so please have at it! I am about 5 mins away from hunting it and don't, although we like hunting a different area than the one we see all the time. Above average snow year, deer in the valley seemed to get hit hard, still a lot of snow up there in high elevations. Low density of Grizz compared to other areas close by and also wolves after they got wiped out a few years ago for killing a bunch of sheep. I doubt you will get positive feedback on a specific unit anywhere on the internet so good luck with replies.

Rough and steep country with not the highest elk densities. Fair amount of black bears with not too many grizzly. Very steep in a lot of it.

Like these guys said, grizzlies are practically nonexistent in that unit. If you are in decent shape and put in the work you can find elk in there. Be prepared for a backbreaking job to get out an elk. You need to plan for meat care and retrieval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it is worth - I hunted deer (October 10) in the southern end of 67 a couple years ago. Didn't see any elk on my trip. Moose, mtn goats and some deer.

Spent a week hiking and fishing 67 early summer. Didn’t see any bear or wolf sign. Spent some time behind the glass looking for elk but saw none. Only sign in the area were moose.

A buddy and I are planning a backpack hunt into the Palisade zone in September for archery elk. We are both from out of state and can't make a boots on the ground scouting trip before the season. We have narrowed it down to the 67 unit and we are doing our E-scouting. Does anybody have some recent information on Grizzly or wolf activity, and how the herd has faired after that rough winter a couple years ago? We have made 3 or 4 plans of attack so far. We plan to go deep and get gain some altitude as that seems to be where we have heard the elk are. If anyone is familiar with the area I would love to bounce our ideas off of you. And yes we are getting in shape, been hitting trails since April.
How did your hunt go? I will be hunting that zone this September. Any advice?

How did your September hunt go?

OP hasn't posted after two years, do you not notice the large number of single digit posters in all the threads you're bumping asking for info? The guy you quoted has three posts total, two of which are Palisades threads asking for info with nothing contributed.

Hell, the OP even said he was looking forward to joining the conversations around here...and crickets. It's the time of year where new members show up and bump old unit threads and ask for free info, which then gets searched up by members and non-members alike in ensuing years (2,000+ views on this thread alone 8K+ on your other Palisades bump); ruining spots.

In other words, what you're doing is frowned upon.

OP hasn't posted after two years, do you not notice the large number of single digit posters in all the threads you're bumping asking for info? The guy you quoted has three posts total, two of which are Palisades threads asking for info with nothing contributed.

Hell, the OP even said he was looking forward to joining the conversations around here...and crickets. It's the time of year where new members show up and bump old unit threads and ask for free info, which then gets searched up by members and non-members alike in ensuing years (2,000+ views on this thread alone 8K+ on your other Palisades bump); ruining spots.

All I asked was how his hunt went. Please, kindly remove your panties from a wad.

I hunted the unit in 2018 and try to keep tabs on it, because my family lives there. I can't PM, because I do not have enough posts yet. Everyone has to start somewhere, so maybe think about that the next time you want to be a keyboard warrior.

I hunted the unit in 2018 and try to keep tabs on it, because my family lives there. I can't PM, because I do not have enough posts yet. Everyone has to start somewhere, so maybe think about that the next time you want to be a keyboard warrior.
In the other palisades thread you bumped from 2017 you directly asked where the OP hunted... You might get more help if you actively contribute to the forum instead of just asking for peoples spots or how they did in unit-specific threads.

Ok bub, good luck this season. I'm sure everyone will jump at the chance to put their spot in plain text on a searchable forum for a friendly & considerate non-resident Texan like yourself.

In the other palisades thread you bumped from 2017 you directly asked where the OP hunted... You might get more help if you actively contribute to the forum instead of just asking for peoples spots or how they did in unit-specific threads.
I hunted the unit once, but lived in the unit for a period of time. I have no plans to hunt it anytime soon, but where he accessed sounded familiar, so I was trying to find out if he was using one of the trailheads we used. It turns out I was correct and he accessed at the same spot. I was never trying to find out people's honey holes. The south side of the unit it just super steep and there are only about a half dozen public access sites, and I wanted to know if the access site he used was as crowded as when I went. I would contribute, but seeing as how we did not lay eyes on a single elk, that would not be super helpful.

Back