Parachute hunting?

Sadler

WKR
If you could toss a pallet of gear out with you that has a raft in it and float a river out, that would be next level. I immediately think of Alaska for a place to do that.

If it’s Wilderness, or has restricted motorized access regulations, it’s not legal.

Same with accessing via helicopter. And yes, even if you hover and jump out, it’s still illegal. It would be illegal to longline out your bull after you dumped him also. Operations such as heli-skiing are permitted.

In AK, where a lot of the land is State and you can land fixed wing, it very well could be legal there? I don’t know.

I’ve only read about it with actual verified pictures once. Not necessarily to get deep, but to bypass an extremely nasty climb to goat country in a particular area. Guy dropped in with a buddy, shot a goat, packed it down, and got picked up by a float plane.

z987k

WKR
If it’s Wilderness, or has restricted motorized access regulations, it’s not legal.

Same with accessing via helicopter. And yes, even if you hover and jump out, it’s still illegal. It would be illegal to longline out your bull after you dumped him also. Operations such as heli-skiing are permitted.

In AK, where a lot of the land is State and you can land fixed wing, it very well could be legal there? I don’t know.
You couldn't use a helicopter in AK due to it being used to transport the hunter.

But you can do what he described from fixed wing, assuming motorized transport is allowed. Including on federal land if you can hunt there.

It's a cool idea, and I'd imagine you'd need to float out due to the weight of everything especially with game, but yes you can do it.

I can think of a few areas it's difficult to get fixed wing into due to trees, swamp and such.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR

Seems odd to me that you can't get brought in by helicopter to hunt, but could for skiing. I'm not disagreeing it is or isn't legal. It's just a total double standard. One group, hunters, get the shaft. Another group, doing the same activity, flying a helicopter into the wilderness, doesn't.

Sounds like Wyoming's rule for hunters. Hikers can go in for miles and days, hunters... its too dangerous...

The entire thing doesn't seem right.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Seems odd to me that you can't get brought in by helicopter to hunt, but could for skiing. I'm not disagreeing it is or isn't legal. It's just a total double standard. One group, hunters, get the shaft. Another group, doing the same activity, flying a helicopter into the wilderness, doesn't.

Sounds like Wyoming's rule for hunters. Hikers can go in for miles and days, hunters... its too dangerous...

The entire thing doesn't seem right.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Helicopters give you an insane advantage when hunting. Up here it's about traditional use and fair chase.

Yeah hunting via helicopter is much different then jumping off to ski. Let's just take all safe areas away from the animals by using helicopters...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sounds cool. 25-30# of parachute rig would be a heck of a pack out weight Addition. It’s been a while since I fell out of a plane, but as I recall, jumping on unknown and unimproved drop zones kinda sucked. good thing your buddy is a medic, you might need him.

As a concept, i don’t mind the idea of a parachute so much. Heck even helicopters don’t bother me. It’s honestly not much different than getting flown in by plane IMO. I know guys that have helicoptered in to fly fish in New Zealand. nobody thinks twice about that.

***amending this post after a little googling. It seems hunters were tearing up the sheep population before the Alaska ban on helo hunting. I probably don’t know enough about the downside impacts to be thoughtful about that concept.***

Last edited:

Northpark

WKR
I’ve heard of this idea before. Toss one gear bag out first with a pack raft in it plus your other gear then you go out the door. Raft out when you’re done. Heard of goat and sheep hunters doing this but haven’t ever verified it being actually done. Seems like a “good” idea. Or maybe feasible is the right word.

I'm calling dibs on the ultralight Parachute that doubles as a Tipi.

I don't have the design fully worked out yet, but I'm calling it, so all you greedy copy catters just stay away.

Looking at you Luxe.

Then again, anyone who wants to trust a Parachute they make my help with the overcrowding in the backcountry.

A paramotor might be the ticket. Flying duo is a thing so I assume adding an extra 150 lbs for gear/meat wouldn't be a problem. I may have to borrow my brothers rig.

Last edited:
It is probably hard to find a plane and qualified pilot to do static line drops, not mention the parachute required for a civilian to do this. T10 and T11 parachutes are about 50-60lbs alone and require a 1950 weapons case to safely deliver your rifle to the ground. A lowering line and a pack harness would also be handy so you could rig your pack to you when you jump, but you have a max weight of about 250lbs for the parachute to safely deliver you to the ground.

If a guy was actually interested in this, the first place I would start would be with the smokejumpers the USFS uses for wild land firefighting. They generally spend a summer doing this sort of thing, in remote areas on non standard landing zones.

However, the other option is to use a sky diving rig to get in. Even with this, there are qualifications needed to jump gear. If you have a buddy or a buddy of a buddy who has these qualifications maybe they would help you out.

Now the tricky part would be finding an area suitable for landing. Being a fellow who is not well versed in parachuting, specifically with a static line parachute, this could be difficult and a bit dangerous. Static line parachutes are not very steerable, therefore they need a large area for a person to land. Wind is a factor also as it can really mess up a good plan if not accounted for.

I have often thought about this, but don’t have the resources to pull it off. I quit jumping out of planes about a decade ago and would much rather just keep my feet on the ground.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
Couple thoughts popped into my mind with this idea……one is memories of hearing “medic!” As I was nearing the ground….so injury is a real possibility, second is what do you do with your chute and harness….that’s kinda heavy and bulky…..and last…I know from my pilot friend that mountain flying is way different from anything else… winds are tricky….

it would be kinda cool, but I’m not sure how well it would actually work.