Pillow recommendations

El_fuego

FNG
We all have experienced the same frustrations I’m sure of it. Several “this it” pillow and about 20 minutes into the backcountry slumber you experience the all too familar regret. I’ve tried several different inflatable pillows, the thermarest packable pillow and still haven’t found a decent pillow. Anyone found the perfect pillow? Comfortable, small, and very durable?

This topic has been discussed a number of times. Have you tried searching the sleep systems forum for "pillow", I just had a quick look and found ten different threads discussing pillows. Good luck in your research, it really comes down to the individual and personal preference.

My buddy has the sea to summit one, it looks pretty nice but I haven't used it.

I have the thermarest one with the foam chunks. I like it for truck camping but it doesn't make the cut for my backpack.

I like a real pillow and not a plastic blow up one. You will use up more space with a real pillow, but will also sleep better. I love y therm-rest pillow. It does roll up fairly small, but not like a blow up one. But its worth it for sure. https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-C...1549372733&sr=8-5&keywords=backpacking+pillow

I semi roll it it and put it at very bottom of my pack to elevate all the other items. Makes a nice custom place for it.

*zap*

WKR
I have used the thermarest compressible and air head pillows for extended periods of time with no issues. Use a thermarest comp/medium over a wiggys pillow every night at home now.

083wright

FNG
I also use the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium for the last couple years. Being a side sleeper its a must for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just picked up the Klymit x pillow to try. Seems pretty comfortable. the x keeps your head somewhat centered on the pillow. They ran a $5 deal last month on them, so had to try it for that. i already use their pad.

I really like the sea to summit Aeros premium pillow. I tried a few other inflatable pillows and hated them. This one seemed to be a good middle ground since it does have some padding and is still lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aion2come

WKR
Sea to Summit pillow is the bomb! It doesn't feel like a normal blow up pillow due to the stretchiness of the fabric and whatever is on the outside. Feels very close to a normal pillow to me.

TravisIN

WKR
I had the x pillow and didn’t love it. I picked up the s2s premium deluxe pillow. It’s a bigger/different shaped version of the premium. So far it’s much better.

jmez

WKR
I have an Aeros and don't like it at all. It either had too much air or not enough. I much prefer the Thermarest compressible.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Stuff some clothes into a game bag and boom, pillow. I pack a real pillow. It an old down pillow but I like it and sleep is super important. I do add some clothes to make it more substantial.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Have the sea to summit. It’s fine. I have read interesting commentary on the My Pillow travel pillow and its kind of intriguing.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get headaches if I don’t have the right firmness and “elevation” pillow. I sewed up some flannel bags with zippers, and stuff my puffy coat and or pants into them at night. The weight of the empty bag is minimal and I have the perfect pillow every time. Been using this happily for about a decade.

I thought I had pictures but can’t find them this morning. I will keep looking.

LitenFast

WKR
I’ve had good success with the exped medium air pillow. Nice size, packs tiny and seems fairly durable. Had it for about 6 years now without issue

Gumbo

WKR
I sometimes use a fleece stuff bag I sewed up with a drawstring that is stuffed with my extra shirt/undies/long undies/socks but I've recently taken to wadding up my puffy jacket and just using that (which means i can ditch the fleece bag and use a Kifaru Pullout for my clothes). I had a thermarest pillow but it was bulky and I didn't find it comfortable so I threw it out. I've just come to appreciate roughing it on my spike hunts...it ain't glamping, I'm not a princess, and I rarely sleep well when camping anyway.