Point Creep - is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a bunch of select houses that are set aside for those that have certain things........ENOUGH CAPITAL. Points are exactly capital........in the points game of the hunting world. Some houses (tags) only require a very small amount of capital. Other houses (tags) require a very substantial amount of capital........and then there's houses (tags) scattered all between those ranges. And just like those houses that increase in how much capital it takes to get one when demand is high........those tags do the same thing when demand is high.......the required capital goes up........exponentially up in some cases.
Points keep track of calendar years nothing more.

I can't borrow points to be used now and repaid later. I can not acquire more points because I'm smarter, work harder or am more thrifty then the next guy. How exactly are they similar to capital?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If your in a equal partnership because of equal ownership and one of the other partners tells you this is how we are going to run things because I've been here longer. That's the senario we are discussing right now.
Well, then you've shifted gears onto a different discussion then. The discussion I've been having isn't based on longevity, it's based solely on the number of points one has. You could have two 70 year olds, one with 30 points and one with 2 points. And throw in a 12 year old with 0, a 15 year old with 3, and a 25 year old with 14 points. Longevity has nothing to do with their ability to get a tag.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, then you've shifted gears onto a different discussion then. The discussion I've been having isn't based on longevity, it's based solely on the number of points one has. You could have two 70 year olds, one with 30 points and one with 2 points. And throw in a 12 year old with 0, a 15 year old with 3, and a 25 year old with 14 points. Longevity has nothing to do with their ability to get a tag.
Ok how were those points acquired?

You can't buy 2 or 3 from someone else your grandpa can't will you his after he's dead. Only way to acquire them is a year by year process almost exactly like longevity.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You and I both put in an offer and we have an equal shot at getting it.
Ya, go out and try to put an offer in on that multimillion dollar house. You won't even make it through the front door to even look at the house without a pre-approval. But you're right........it is a little different. You can still "apply" for that 30 point unit even if you don't have what it takes to actually get it. LOL.

Chrisamx

FNG
I disagree. I've been putting in since the beginning and i am max on Elk, one short on antelope. So in the next few years if i choose to put in for the hunt i want, i have a very good chance to get it.

CA also puts about 20% of those tags on a pure random. Which means everyone has a chance every year. I've know a couple of friends that have been drawn for sheep and elk with less than 2 points. That is different than most states.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Premium Deer Hunt TagsNinety percent (90%) of the individual zone or hunt tag quota shall be awarded using a Preference Point this is from Big Game Digest. It should be 50-50 just to be fair, but you wont hear too much about fairness coming from those with max points.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well, this has been enlightening......but only to confirm how far off the path our country has gotten in every aspect of life......including the hunting game. The biggest difference I take from all this is the vast difference between different generations and how they think. I find it amazing that so many can't find an opportunity to hunt these days......that is sad. And all because someone else was born long before them.

CorbLand

WKR
Ya, go out and try to put an offer in on that multimillion dollar house. You won't even make it through the front door to even look at the house without a pre-approval. But you're right........it is a little different. You can still "apply" for that 30 point unit even if you don't have what it takes to actually get it. LOL.
But there is not a law that says I cant get that house. If they want to accept my 100,000 offer on a multi million dollar house, I can get it. There is not an artificial system that says I cant. Nobody is telling me I don't deserve that house because I don't have what they have. There is not a system that equal distributes capital each year to anyone that can make an offer on a house.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
But there is not a law that says I cant get that house. If they want to accept my 100,000 offer on a multi million dollar house, I can get it. There is not an artificial system that says I cant. Nobody is telling me I don't deserve that house because I don't have what they have.
And there's no law saying that you can't get that tag........landowner tags are available........if you have the CAPITAL.

Gobbler36

WKR
Plain and simple the point system was a great idea and i think in the beginning it was created with the best intentions, but as with everything in this world it has been ruined by more people, and states have now taken the opportunity to cash in and string new applicants along which is bad business But so is saying to hell with it and screwing those that have p[aid in for a decade or more Already. its complex but it all boils down to too many people. you have to start thinning the herd somehow, i guess one way to do it is to price people out and keep going up until numbers decline

Well, this has been enlightening......but only to confirm how far off the path our country has gotten in every aspect of life......including the hunting game. The biggest difference I take from all this is the vast difference between different generations and how they think. I find it amazing that so many can't find an opportunity to hunt these days......that is sad. And all because someone else was born long before them.
No one is saying there aren’t opportunities, most of everyone on here is saying the system does not work for the current amount of applicants and tags. The system may have worked flawlessly 20 years ago but not today. Is that really hard to understand?

And there's no law saying that you can't get that tag........landowner tags are available........if you have the CAPITAL.
Points and capital are not the same thing. You can build capital daily and it doesn’t matter your age or how long you’ve been in the game, you can’t do that with points. You can only get one per year, stop trying to compare something that is vastly different.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Exactly time to find something that works in today's world not the world of 28 years ago
Ya, that's definitely an option. But there are also options within that as well. They could go to all lottery, they could get rid of all OTC tags which restricts even more people, or they could even sell the tags to whomever puts in the highest offer just like homes. But no matter what they do, there is a 100% chance that those that complain will still complain.

Chrisamx

FNG
Ya, that's definitely an option. But there are also options within that as well. They could go to all lottery, they could get rid of all OTC tags which restricts even more people, or they could even sell the tags to whomever puts in the highest offer just like homes. But no matter what they do, there is a 100% chance that those that complain will still complain.
Homes are privately owned, but who owns the animals that are hunted? People always complain about things, however, there is less to complain about if everyone is presented with the same opportunity.

cgasner1

WKR
End of the day a bunch of people need to start studying how all these states a lot the tags and spend your money where you see fit I apply for 7 states a year some states I apply for everything some just elk and deer kinda need to learn where your pissing in the wind because just not enough Buffalo left for everyone to kill one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mproberts

WKR
Ya, and those that can't afford to play it.......why? Because they don't have enough capital....LOL.
You can golf 18 holes at Torrey Pines for $28... if you can't afford that you can't afford to golf. Just like how some people can't afford the $7 application fee in Colorado but that sort of capital is drastically different than preference points. Trying to compare the two is silly.

Why not remove points and get rid of the issue all together?

The OP said it should not take 20 years to draw a tag. How will it get rid of the issue that it takes 20 years to draw some tags? You will just create a different problem where different people will not draw the tag and complain about it.