Point Creep - is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

1,800 people applying for 40 tags, let me know how you're going to turn that into a less than 20 year wait.
The issue with that IMO are the people buying points and not actually applying. It causes it to inflate at a higher rate. If you want to wait 20 years for a tag that’s your choice. But letting everyone and there mom buy points and inflate the point system doesn’t seem like the answer to me. That’s just my opinion tho.

Which is exactly how it is now. If you want to go hunt, apply for a unit that takes less points to draw, go to a secondary/leftover draw, or buy an OTC tag. Plenty of opportunities to go hunting multiple times every year.
Not all states have OTC tags or tags in the second draw/leftover.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Not all states have OTC tags or tags in the second draw/leftover.
And that's the beauty of many different states that draw tags in many different ways. Easy enough to drive somewhere else if you don't like a particular system. The point is there are MANY opportunities to hunt, just maybe not the exact one that you're applying for. Sounds like a unit where demand outstrips supply, and that isn't going to get easier to draw under any system.

And that's the beauty of many different states that draw tags in many different ways. Easy enough to drive somewhere else if you don't like a particular system. The point is there are MANY opportunities to hunt, just maybe not the exact one that you're applying for. Sounds like a unit where demand outstrips supply, and that isn't going to get easier to draw under any system.
Agreed, and I do go out of state or across my state to find opportunities. I’ve only seriously paid attention to my states system for the past 10 years. And it’s become a choice between hunting where the hunters out number the game or go out of state. And states are now wanting to slash NR tags. There is ample opportunity to hunt if you are willing to work, I just don’t think the point system is helping provide opportunities for new hunters is all. 20 years from now, points systems could be ridiculous if it continues IMO.

That's not how it works.. you can't just allocate unlimited tags to a limited resource.
Not unlimited tags, a limited amount of tags randomly. And offer other hunting opportunities for people who don’t draw, ie general tags. Just my opinion and preference is all.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped applying for the terrible odds/high out of pocket states. Use the money towards Africa every few years. Way more value in my opinion.
You also have to really decide what you like to hunt vs. what is hard to draw. Human nature is to covet what we think we can't have. After many years of throwing money away on sheep draws, I realized that I like hunting mule deer more than anything.

mproberts

WKR
Not unlimited tags, a limited amount of tags randomly. And offer other hunting opportunities for people who don’t draw, ie general tags. Just my opinion and preference is all.
If a state is doing a draw system that inherently implies they cannot support a general season. The demand is far greater than the supply. I think everyone's preference would be a general season where you can just buy tags over the counter, but that isn't a realistic solution with the demand far far outpacing the resource.

CorbLand

WKR
If a state is doing a draw system that inherently implies they cannot support a general season. The demand is far greater than the supply. I think everyone's preference would be a general season where you can just buy tags over the counter, but that isn't a realistic solution with the demand far far outpacing the resource.
You could have a system like Utah where you still have to apply for general season tags and some take 4 plus years to draw.

I don’t think there is a right answer, people will be upset no matter what they do. And a big part of the issue is the animal numbers decreasing (especially mule deer) and the hunter numbers increasing. I don’t like the current system and am worried for when my kids want to start hunting in 10+ years. The point creep could be outrageous at that point.

wapitibob

WKR
It would fix the point creep because there wouldn’t be points. Do you not have an issue with the current point systems? What’s your ideas to improve it?

Game departments are going away from general hunts because they've finally realized you can't manage a game population with unlimited otc hunting. There is no fix other than reducing applicants or increasing tags, and neither is going to happen.

I have zero issues with point systems. I understand the ones I apply in, what I can and can't draw, and tailor my hunt choices accordingly.

mproberts

WKR
You could have a system like Utah where you still have to apply for general season tags and some take 4 plus years to draw.
Look I'm not on here to defend point systems. I think almost everything should be random every year... there our cons to random drawing everything, but imo the pros far outweigh the cons. My point was to just state that moving everything to a general season is incredibly unrealistic.

Splitting the state between draw and general like Utah does still doesn't solve the problem of more demand than supply. If anything it exaggerates it because you don't have guys sitting out on the sidelines rolling the dice on impossible to draw hunts each year. Part of the reason you can hunt each year in certain states is because lots of guys are going for trophy tags only.

Last edited:

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Ways to increase supply:
1) Improve/Expand Habitat

Ways to decrease demand:
1) Raise cost of entry (license/tag cost)
2) Get rid of 'buying points' systems, refunds, etc that allow easily accruing points
3) Get rid of social media (pipe dream)

Anything else is just playing with numbers, and statistics decree that no matter how much you play with the numbers, it isn't going to make drawing the tag any easier. In fact, it might just result in you never drawing the tag.

CorbLand

WKR
Look I'm not on here to defend point systems. I think everything should be random every year... there our cons to random drawing everything, but imo the pros far outweigh the cons. My point was to just state that moving everything to a general season is incredibly unrealistic.

Splitting the state between draw and general like Utah does still doesn't solve the problem of more demand than supply. If anything it exaggerates it because you don't have guys sitting out on the sidelines rolling the dice on impossible to draw hunts each year. Part of the reason you can hunt each year in certain states is because lots of guys are going for trophy tags only.
My point was more that the term "general season" is not universal across states.

There is no split in Utah between draw and general season unless you are strictly referring to elk. For deer there is Limited Entry and General Season both require you to apply for tags.

This is part of the problem when people from different states argue for or against things. Most people use their home state as the base and dont understand that not every state does it the way they do.

Last edited:
Game departments are going away from general hunts because they've finally realized you can't manage a game population with unlimited otc hunting. There is no fix other than reducing applicants or increasing tags, and neither is going to happen.

I have zero issues with point systems. I understand the ones I apply in, what I can and can't draw, and tailor my hunt choices accordingly.
I agree with your points, but I never said unlimited otc tags. Limit the tags in zones, similar to Idaho elk. Some people will be unlucky and not draw or get a general tag. I think tags need to be cut for mule deer across the west, but money talks and that won’t happen.

I to understand the draws I apply to and set my expectations accordingly. I just worry about future generations with the point creep and think it will be bad, just my opinion though.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree and that’s what I said in a previous post. Points are the issue, do away with them and have ample general hunting opportunities. Allows guys to apply and still hunt if unsuccessful.
Wyoming is one of of the few places that can do this, but it doesn't work everywhere. It "works" in Wyoming because relatively speaking our state population hasn't changed that much for a very long time. On top of that our turn over is high enough with the energy industry base that those that pour in for a boom are often on to the next one before they can learn to hunt a general area well. We also have approximately 50% public land, with the largest swaths in the western half of the state with good access. The competition that is here can usually get spread out.

Colorado cannot do a general hunt for mule deer, but can micro-manage regional populations to offer OTC options for some of their elk hunts. I would argue though that many of those hunts are really tough and open in areas where the elk have often moved to winter range for rifle opportunities in years past.

Bottom line is there are more people who want to hunt the West and elk in particular right now than we have opportunity. Because many who are not residents have been waiting for years to hunt, hoping for the perfect year it has really become a conundrum.

The points game in Colorado will likely be the tipping point for many for many to get out. 2020 plus the lack of upfront fees really made a lot of people question just what they were saving their points for, forget the cheese, I want out of the trap so to speak.

Disclaimer: Many people struggle with the concept of general hunts for mule deer in Wyoming with them taking in on the chin with the migrational herds.

Ways to increase supply:
1) Improve/Expand Habitat

Ways to decrease demand:
1) Raise cost of entry (license/tag cost)
2) Get rid of 'buying points' systems, refunds, etc that allow easily accruing points
3) Get rid of social media (pipe dream)

Anything else is just playing with numbers, and statistics decree that no matter how much you play with the numbers, it isn't going to make drawing the tag any easier. In fact, it might just result in you never drawing the tag.
Great points, I hate the idea of buying points and not applying. And I am all for raising costs if the funds actually go back to improving big game habitat.

mproberts

WKR
I feel like point systems only work when you can cycle everyone through in like 5-10 years max, preferably much less.