Practicing when you don't want to burn components - times like these

Article 4

WKR
I am writing to share a practice technique that I have utilized from time to time when I am unable to shoot. Done well, it is a fantastic way to develop a good shooting routine at home, in winter, or during other times when you cannot get to the range or don't want to burn components.
Dry Firing.
Right away many people are going to say dry firing a rifle is BAD for the rifle. I thought the same thing and perhaps on some cheaply made rifles, the firing pin and spring will wear out but on a well made quality action, I beg to differ. Let me share my routine:
  • Set up the rifle exactly as I would at the range. Pad, bipod, rear bag, sometimes a glove on or wearing a jacket, and most of the time have another person to help with placing my washer or nickel/quarter. The size of the coin should overlap the barrel. See photo - a thinner barrel could use a nickel or even a dime
  • Go through my routine, target acquisition, cheek weld, relaxing breaths, settling the cross hairs, loading bipod and trigger control
  • Place the Quarter on the last 2 inches of the barrel -
  • Breath, squeeze, and follow through
If the quarter does not move or at least does not fall off the barrel, your technique is outstanding. If it does, practice until it doesn't. You will have great technique that you can bring to the range or the field that will help you be more accurate

Attachments

• IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 22
Dry fire practice is a must. Something folks should always do.
As far as practice conserving components I use 22lr for that. You can burn thousands of rounds for little cost, lots of fun, no recoil to cause bad habits.
I also use air rifles, but they don’t seem to have the same flare as a 22lr.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I was a kid I used to lay in bed and dry fire at all the pics of elk and deer I had on my walls. Between that and the 1000's of off hand pellet gun and .22 shots I'd make every year, I was good to go come hunting season.

Been playing with LaserHit for my handguns. So far so good. So I just received the laser catridge for a 223 (out of other rifle calibers).

Going to do speed drills with it and see how it goes. I also just ordered some additional targets (ex: charging grizzly bear and another target with many different animals on it). Will give those a try.

Main part is getting into the rifle, acquiring the target and taking a "shot" more consistently and quicker.

But there'll still be some booming cause life would suck without it.