Preferred method of applying canvas treatment/Wall tent

11boo

WKR
FB2E86F2-52B8-4E71-A0D0-44B0F78765C7.jpeg
Small 10x12. Last time I used a paint roller and brush, but it seemed uneven, tho it worked. It soaked up a gallon and that barely got it done.

I have a cheap stain sprayer, try that?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something like this will work better than a pump sprayer if you have a compressor
2c1e8defa626eaa5746fd939c5e6d390.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
I don't know why you are doing that. A good canvas tent made of Sunforger should not need any treatment to be water proof. We have been using the same wedge tent for over 20 years without a single leak and it has never been treated.

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
I don't know why you are doing that. A good canvas tent made of Sunforger should not need any treatment to be water proof. We have been using the same wedge tent for over 20 years without a single leak and it has never been treated.
I disagree. mine is 25 years old, probably 1 year of use. Treated via the brush and roller twice. Washed and dried after every deployment. Still in great shape.

I had a sunforger cover on my CC boat in Florida. 10 years and it was toast, but I never treated it with anything. Just kept it clean

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
Yeah I think any sprayer would be better than the roller.

Last year I spent most of September in a Tipi.

This year I will be a bit more comfortable.

BFEBE04B-768A-403D-852C-05DDA26E0686.jpeg

svivian

WKR
Another vote for the weed sprayer. I have one and plan to do mine this year as well. I’m in GJ if you just want to use mine

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
Another vote for the weed sprayer. I have one and plan to do mine this year as well. I’m in GJ if you just want to use mine
Thanks, I have one too. Probably just what I’ll use. Just waiting on the new stove jack to show up. Get that put on the roof. I hope that’ll let my stove draft better than the wall jack.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My Davis tent is 15 years old and has had at least 30 days of use every year. I haven't seen any need yet for it to be resealed. I'll probably call Davis to see what they recommend when or if it needs it eventually. Here it is last year, still looking good.
Camp 2021.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
My Davis tent is 15 years old and has had at least 30 days of use every year. I haven't seen any need yet for it to be resealed. I'll probably call Davis to see what they recommend when or if it needs it eventually. Here it is last year, still looking good.
View attachment 429031

It should never be treated, that will cause negative things to happen. Never, ever, ever, never.

Reactions: EdP
I just did mine. I used a hand sprayer and found it easy. I called the treatment company about the application. I was told that the gallon would barely treat my 10x14. You have to use a bit more than you think.

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
It should never be treated, that will cause negative things to happen. Never, ever, ever, never.
You made me look. Went to the Davis site, they do indeed say their canvas should never need treatment, and in the next sentence say they recommend and sell the iosso canvas treatment, if you must.

Mine is from Rainier tent and a heavy canvas. I have to set it up to cut in the stove jack, I think I’ll hose it down too and see what it looks like. Never had a water issue before.

Rainier has no mention of treatments, just the usual care tips. It appears to be the same sunforger treated canvas.

sndmn11

WKR
You made me look. Went to the Davis site, they do indeed say their canvas should never need treatment, and in the next sentence say they recommend and sell the iosso canvas treatment, if you must.

Mine is from Rainier tent and a heavy canvas. I have to set it up to cut in the stove jack, I think I’ll hose it down too and see what it looks like. Never had a water issue before.

I was referencing @5MilesBack comment about his Davis Tent, although the same sentiment would apply to any sunforger or dry-finish army duck.

Having Iosso available was a decision based on calls and demand from folks who wanted to retreat their wet finished canvas like Montana Canvas sold for many years...the waxy feeling stuff that is reliant on an applied layer of waterproofing treatment to make the material weather worthy.

Rainier has used sunforger canvas for at least twenty years, treating it would be detrimental if yours is within that timeframe.

Last edited:
OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
Always good to learn something new. My tent is in really good shape, just trying to keep it that way.

This will be the first year I get to slide a Aspen log thru the ridge and build a frame.

wytx

WKR
Set it up, stake it down and make sure it is tight and then hose it down with water and let it dry in the hot sun.

sndmn11

WKR
Always good to learn something new. My tent is in really good shape, just trying to keep it that way.

This will be the first year I get to slide a Aspen log thru the ridge and build a frame.

If it is in good shape then don't mess with it. When I worked at Davis there was easily a 20:1 ratio of damaged tents from good intentions versus actual boo-boos.

Washing it is a terrible idea, treating or sealing it is a terrible idea, storing it wet is a terrible idea.

Good ideas are drying it and the ropes out (bone dry) before storage, wrapping your ridgepole in any material (like an old tarp or thin carpet remnants, to act as a buffer when setting up lodge pole style, using all your ropes and stakes.

mmac

WKR
I don't think you can compare a wall tent used a couple weeks a year to a boat covering in Florida exposed to daily sun, salt water and rain. I would call the manufacturer and see what they say. But if I did do it, I would use the landscaping sprayer for $15.

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
That is a really good idea, covering the ridge pole. I figured on spending some time making it smooth.