Proof Research non-prefit for Tikka question

gtriple

WKR
I'm looking to get an 18" 7mm Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel cut and chambered to 7PRC to fit on a Tikka. I was going to send it to LRI, but their site says the below. The diameter of the 1.2" for the non-prefit and LRI says they cannot contour it down to fit the Tikka action. Is this possible and they just won't do it? Or do you have to get the shank diameter equal to the 1.135" diameter of the pre-fits from the manufacturer?

1686495804083.png

Wrench

WKR
The shank dia and the wrap are going to be proud of your action. To blend it will void the barrel warranty because itll get into the carbon.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Here is a picture of mine with the proof with a 1.2" shank. Works just fine - gunsmith essentially just crowned the rear of the shank to blend it.
Gotcha, that's what I figured they could do, but the LRI note caught my attention. Did you have to tell them anything special? And who did yours?

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv had an HCA that was 1.2” shank on a tikka. Buddy had lri do a proof as well with a 1.2” shank. Match rifle was built with a 1.2” shank as well. As long as your barrel channel will accept the extra girth, it’s only cosmetic.

I wouldn’t waste your money on the HCA.

If I needed to I’d have no reservations barreling a tikka with a 1.2” shank, as long as it was going in a stock cut for such.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
My son picked up a 26" Sendaro contour Proof barrel blank off the prize table at a PRS match. We had it fitted to his Tikka T3 in 308 Win by our gunsmith. It came up fine, looks good. Pretty sure it was 1.2" at the tenon section before threading.

IMG-1566.jpg

fatbacks

WKR
Gotcha, that's what I figured they could do, but the LRI note caught my attention. Did you have to tell them anything special? And who did yours?

I had a buddy of mine chamber it. He said it was no big deal to fit it to a tikka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Iv had an HCA that was 1.2” shank on a tikka. Buddy had lri do a proof as well with a 1.2” shank. Match rifle was built with a 1.2” shank as well. As long as your barrel channel will accept the extra girth, it’s only cosmetic.

I wouldn’t waste your money on the HCA.

If I needed to I’d have no reservations barreling a tikka with a 1.2” shank, as long as it was going in a stock cut for such.
"Waste money on the HCA" - is that just referencing them being more expensive or is there other reasons?

The Proof barrel was $760 from Evolved Ballistics. $275 + shipping to chamber and thread. That's about $1065. I can get the pre-fit from HCA for $1125, so cost is basically the same.

Lawnboi

WKR
"Waste money on the HCA" - is that just referencing them being more expensive or is there other reasons?

The Proof barrel was $760 from Evolved Ballistics. $275 + shipping to chamber and thread. That's about $1065. I can get the pre-fit from HCA for $1125, so cost is basically the same.
Other reasons. 2 bum barrels, a rifle that didn’t function on arrival. I have a $1200 barrel sitting in my basement cause I don’t even trust them to make it right after the first attempt they had to make it right.

If your mil/Leo/first responder proof offers a discount.

Last edited:
OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Other reasons. 2 bum barrels, a rifle that didn’t function on arrival. I have a $1200 barrel sitting in my basement cause I don’t even trust them to make it right after the first attempt they made to make it right.

If your mil/Leo/first responder proof offers a discount.
Well that's certainly not what I wanted to hear. I thought HCA was pretty well-liked around here.

Lawnboi

WKR
Well that's certainly not what I wanted to hear. I thought HCA was pretty well-liked around here.
I thought so too. If you ask around you will find others with similar stories.

Lri can open your barrel channel for you as well to accommodate the larger shank diameter. It’s not too unreasonably priced.

Last edited:

skierjt

FNG
My son picked up a 26" Sendaro contour Proof barrel blank off the prize table at a PRS match. We had it fitted to his Tikka T3 in 308 Win by our gunsmith. It came up fine, looks good. Pretty sure it was 1.2" at the tenon section before threading.

IMG-1566.jpg
What kind of stock is that?