Puffy Jacket

NoWiser

WKR
I actually just ordered this jacket myself too. Will report back after I use it this fall.
You will love it!! I got it last year and it was my favorite hunting purchase I’ve made in years. Absolutely blows the hunting brands out of the water that I’ve tried.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
You will love it!! I got it last year and it was my favorite hunting purchase I’ve made in years. Absolutely blows the hunting brands out of the water that I’ve tried.
That's great to hear, I am impressed with it so far. What size do you have? I got the large but it was too baggy for a skinny guy so I exchanged for medium and it fits much better but could be a little longer in the torso.

NoWiser

WKR
That's great to hear, I am impressed with it so far. What size do you have? I got the large but it was too baggy for a skinny guy so I exchanged for medium and it fits much better but could be a little longer in the torso.
I’m 5’10” and 165-170 pounds. I got a large and I think it fits perfect for my uses, which is throwing it on over everything else, including my Bino harness, when I get to my glassing spot.

I honestly couldn’t help but smile every time I put it on last year. Instant warmth. After a few years of freezing in my Uncompaghre, it was a very welcome upgrade.

Superdoo

WKR
My $25 costco puffy is my favorite. If it's going to be really cold I switch to me Sitka WS.

The Stone Glacier is fantastic. great cut, warmth, and packs down small. Using it in AK right now.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Montane Ground Control jacket, uses CrossCore silver vs Kelvin Aerolite which uses CrossCore gold. The Montane jacket has more fill and is noticeably warmer than the Aerolite. Rab has a new jacket coming out this fall with CrossCore gold called the Generator Alpine. Be curious to compare it directly to the Aerolite jacket. I was shocked at how warm the Montane was. On the down side, Montbell makes several great options, so does Stellar Equipment but waiting on a restock from them. They use 1000fp down in several of their jackets. For true warmth a box baffled jacket is going to be warmer than a sewn through constructed jacket. No replacement for displacement, more down is more warmth. Just have to figure out how warm you want to be, or how cold natured you are.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

muchach0

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a good recommendation for a puffy jacket in single digit weather with long glassing sessions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my Kuiu Kenai for more 30 degree temps. Uncompaghre for 30 and below. I have a Sitka Down Puffy and it's super warm and has to be stupid cold for me to wear it. It's like a sleeping bag.

I have a puffy for different situations. A buddy of mine bought one of the Decathalon puffy's and really likes it. Worth a look. Reminds me of the First Lite Brooks puffy.

I picked up one of these decathalon puffy jackets as my other cabelas special didn't have a hood. It came in last week and while I haven't tested it out, it fit great and feels high quality. They sent me a 10% off $75 or more coupon code and I don't see myself using it. If anyone else is interested PM me and I'll share it.

davitia

FNG
Montbell down jacket (buy used on ebay - great bang for your buck) for dry/cold conditions

Arcteryx atom lt leaf for mild temps where you may get some moisture.

FL Unc 2.0 for colder temps where you may get some moisture

You could also layer any of the above for colder temps.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite Uncompahgre 2.0 for lows into the 30s, Chamberlin for temps lower than that. I'll wear both in extreme cold and wind as well.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Stone Glacier Grumman is my favorite. Light, compressible, quality materials. It is expensive but worth it.

If you want a more budget friendly version, check out the Marmot Hype Down Jacket. I hunt out of my Grumman but have a Hype I use for travel/work. Specs are nearly identical with regard to weight and compressibility. It uses the same Pertex Quantum shell. The biggest difference is SG uses 850 fill down, whereas the Hype is 800 fill down. Price difference is $330 for SG, the Hype is on sale right now for $225. For the money, I would buy the Hype over the Super Down or FL Brooks Down sweater any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Cheaper than both, more insulation, better materials.

Here’s my Stone Glacier and Marmot Hype side by side:

FB44607E-4314-49BF-87C3-9EDFC94D01A2.jpeg

E2D68D1E-C8F9-4E8B-ADAA-4887B8E94312.jpeg

11CFB818-2F3F-487B-91FE-01B3A3530E5F.jpeg

topher89

WKR
Patagonia Hi Loft for real cold temps, First Lite Brooks Down for general use, First Lite Uncompahgre for general use when it may be wet, and the Arcteryx Atom LT for general use. These are all my go-to's for hiking, hunting, fishing and anytime the temp drops.

Really interested in the Stone Glacier

Feathered friends over any hunting brand for warmth/weight ratio.
100% agree and it isn't close for me.

Feathered Friends Helios in use on a cold Alaska morning.

Ney4vDRl.jpg

CJ6d8lGl.jpg

Last edited:

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
100% agree and it isn't close for me.

Feathered Friends Helinox in use on a cold Alaska morning.

Ney4vDRl.jpg

CJ6d8lGl.jpg

I've always been intrigued by FF, but their stock images always make the jacket look cropped in the torso. Does it fit like that also?