Puffy Pants Poll - Buy Once Cry Once

Buy Once Cry Once - What Are You Picking?

• Total voters
So I've sorted through as many puffy pants threads as possible from the last 3 years on here. Time for a poll. If you had to go for a buy-once-cry-once pair right now, what are you going with? If you're undecided pick up to 3 choices you'd be happy with.

Choices on the poll are limited to ten so I picked the most popular across eight threads that I readh.

Bump79

WKR
You've got quite a mixed bag of options there. What you really need to do is determine if you need/want synthetic or down. Yes, the First Lite Uncompaghre and Kifaru Lost Park are insulated pants but they really belong in a completely different category.

My preference is to buy and avoid crying at all :) This is my opinion which might be unpopular. Unless you get into the extremely high end down (which I haven't) there isn't a huge difference between down products. I've sold most of my $300 down and just rock Eddie Bauer for $40. Weight and packabilty difference is negligible and if I'm in down I don't need camo.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used a few in your poll I'm currently using the SKRE Ptarmigan pant but I'm a big fan of down pants that have more durable face fabric.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Mountain Hardware Compressor Pant - right loft, right lack of noise, right mobility, right weight and packability, right zipper, wrong color (black).

This is a no brainer for me, GooseFeet Gear all day long. I don't think a lot of folks are familiar with GFG, so they're not going to get many points, but I would suggest taking a look at their website. The options for customization is pretty impressive, and if you're having difficulty deciding on something in particular, you can call them and speak with the guy that's going to be making your pants. I have two pairs for different situations and can't say enough about them. They're made in the USA, and 100% tailored to your measurements/size.

I’m an LPP guy. There are lighter and maybe a little warmer but the Kifaru are tough. I don’t worry about destroying them while using them.

Forloh's Thermonuetral pants should be up there. The things are bombproof and very warm.
If you don't mind could you tell us more about them? I'm considering ordering a pair but reviews are hard to come by. Thanks.

jd1006

WKR
I agree with the comment on the synthetic vs down. I think the lost park pants are awesome for their durability. I think the Grumman pants are awesome for their packability. But each has their own applications. I’d like to see more on the Brooks Pants that Barney’s sells…that looks like a nice lightweight synthetic option.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't mind could you tell us more about them? I'm considering ordering a pair but reviews are hard to come by. Thanks.
Forloh is a Montana-based company started a couple of years ago. The quality is equal to the other technical brands, excels in some areas and fabrics. They are American sourced and made. They puffies themselves are welded seams and body mapped. The pants are full length and full zip, a bonus when others have missed with 3/4 and no full zip. They've really lasted well this past winter with ice fishing, chasing lions, and sitting in blinds. No rips or tears. Reviews are rare not because of a bad product, but a new one with a new company. I'm not a huge fan of the deep cover pattern, bu they sit under a shell mostly, so I don't care too much.

Forloh is a Montana-based company started a couple of years ago. The quality is equal to the other technical brands, excels in some areas and fabrics. They are American sourced and made. They puffies themselves are welded seams and body mapped. The pants are full length and full zip, a bonus when others have missed with 3/4 and no full zip. They've really lasted well this past winter with ice fishing, chasing lions, and sitting in blinds. No rips or tears. Reviews are rare not because of a bad product, but a new one with a new company. I'm not a huge fan of the deep cover pattern, bu they sit under a shell mostly, so I don't care too much.
How is their warmth? The 650 duck fill was a concern. I'm looking to see how they stack against other puffy pants you may have owned. Also how was the sizing and fit? Are they true or would you recommend sizing up/down. I would wear them as a mid layer under bibs FYI.

I just got the Black Ovis puffy pants in the mail today. I gotta say I am impressed. The fit is good and they seem well built. Best of all the price is really good. They feel like they will be really warm and they appear to pack down nicely. I think they run about one size small though. I sized up a whole size and the fit is perfect. I’m excited to get them out in the field for some real world testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve tried/used most of your choices. I had to eliminate synthetic puffy pants because they’re just too bulky to pack. For a mountain hunt, synthetic puffy pants in a XL or XXL will take up over half your pack!
The puffy pants I go back to all the time are KUIU Super Down Ultra. Super light, super compact. I just recently bought the Sitka 3/4 Kelvins to try on a couple Kodiak hunts and a sheep hunt this year. If packability is a concern, remove synthetic from your list. If packability is not a concern, synthetic shines in a wet environment.

*zap*

WKR
I have the WM because I got a fairly good deal on them, they are nice and I wear a light wind pant over them....works well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ve tried/used most of your choices. I had to eliminate synthetic puffy pants because they’re just too bulky to pack. For a mountain hunt, synthetic puffy pants in a XL or XXL will take up over half your pack!
The puffy pants I go back to all the time are KUIU Super Down Ultra. Super light, super compact. I just recently bought the Sitka 3/4 Kelvins to try on a couple Kodiak hunts and a sheep hunt this year. If packability is a concern, remove synthetic from your list. If packability is not a concern, synthetic shines in a wet environment.
My synthetic Rab XL pants don't take up much room at all, certainly nowhere near half my pack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk