Purpose of a 6.5?

EmperorMA

WKR
All the above reasons for me, too. Less wind drift, less drop, hardly any recoil, easy to practice with and, more importantly, get good with.

Plus, all the critters I hit with it (deer, elk, Pronghorn) go down immediately.

OP
justin davis
Thanks for the input. I’ll give a little more info. So I am a Bowhunter. Don’t ever rifle hunt. Other than for use on coyotes. I do think guns are cool. My wife and kids rifle hunt so I have the rifles for them.

We Have a .300 win mag that is very accurate. It Has a brake and it doesn’t t kick hardly at all. My wife shoots it just fine. Weighs 10 lbs total

Last year picked up a 6.5 cm. The idea was all the same things. Lighter rifle...less kick etc. Got it primarily for deer and antelope and coyotes.

But after shooting it, it seems the 300 just plain out shoots it accuracy wise. And the .30 cal bullet just seems better overall for hunting even out to distance...even for deer and antelope.

Makes me wonder why I even got this 6.5 other than just to have another rifle.

Not much of a rifle hunter or a hunter at all compared to some of you. I will say, 300 wing mag can be a bit too much of a good thing for deer back east. Setting aside ammo cost and recoil, I have seen a couple of nasty wound channels that caused a lot of meat damage on small bodied white tails, even with well placed shots. I have also heard they can make a mess of smaller deer like Sitka black tails.

If I had one rifle it would be a 300 or 30-06. I am fortunate to have more than one and given the choice I found myself reaching for a 308 and now a 6.5 creed when a magnum isn’t necessary.

16Bore

WKR
BC matters at longer ranges and factory ammo for those who don’t handload.

6.5’s win both...