Quest 4D alternatives, More ankle support.

Need some advice.
My Lady @Simmonsl0912 has been using the 4d for a couple years. They are great but in addition to having some later season hunts where all leather may be a benefit, she needs more ankle support.

I would say maybe the Crispi Wyoming or Idaho but my Wyoming flexed at the toe hard and pinched my big toe.

@Jordan Budd your into boots, what say you? Was also thinking maybe the lapponia 2

rclouse79

WKR
The 4d has been the only boot I have tried that my heels will tolerate, until I tried the Lapponias. Putting a new insole in them made a ton of difference and I think they are going to work for me. I have not put them through the ringer yet, and I am still trying to get some more miles out of my old Salamons. I just wore them last night after a rain and my feet were soaked completely through. The lack of being waterproof and the durability are the two drawbacks to the quests in my opinion.

OP
BRTreedogs
After looking at the lapponia more they don't have the ankle bone support system.

Added ankle support is the main focus.

I'm not if sure what foot type a 4d is?

OP
BRTreedogs
I'd bet Hoffman and salewa have women's boots that would fit right in there.

Seems like you might be describing the @Hoffman Boots explorer if you genuinely want a little insulation.
Not sure she needs much insulation if any as they will get used for archery elk.
Ankle support is the focus.

Do you know what foot type/shape the 4D is?
Pretty much just standard toe box & heel isn't it?

I were zamberlan and salewa because there narrow heel lpw volume.

sndmn11

WKR
Not sure she needs much insulation if any as they will get used for archery elk.
Ankle support is the focus.

Do you know what foot type/shape the 4D is?
Pretty much just standard toe box & heel isn't it?

I were zamberlan and salewa because there narrow heel lpw volume.

I misinterpreted the mention of later season hunts then. Hoffman does have other options as well and have spent a lot of time on the phone with us in the past.

I wear the 4d and my many salewa pairs because they are low volume and fit snug. The 4d are more of a flexible athletic shoe, the salewas stiffer in every dimension and aspect. Crow/Rapace/Raven would be great to keep in mind.

OP
BRTreedogs
I misinterpreted the mention of later season hunts then. Hoffman does have other options as well and have spent a lot of time on the phone with us in the past.

I wear the 4d and my many salewa pairs because they are low volume and fit snug. The 4d are more of a flexible athletic shoe, the salewas stiffer in every dimension and aspect. Crow/Rapace/Raven would be great to keep in mind.
Thats that helps.

I had my question so well worded in my head.

If they bridge the gap to later season that would be great but they don't have to.

I supposed an 8" inch all leather boot is what I have pictured as working best.

Something like the explorer for sure if thr fit was good.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Need some advice.
My Lady @Simmonsl0912 has been using the 4d for a couple years. They are great but in addition to having some later season hunts where all leather may be a benefit, she needs more ankle support.

I would say maybe the Crispi Wyoming or Idaho but my Wyoming flexed at the toe hard and pinched my big toe.

@Jordan Budd your into boots, what say you? Was also thinking maybe the lapponia 2
The lapponia flexes purposely right at that big toe spot too.. if the Wyoming pinched you the lapponia in my experience will as well. It’s seemed to have gotten better over break in. But some folks don’t have that issue, just depends on the foot.

I would give the Colorado a good look… they have fantastic support for ankles. They have abss but also the side to side flex in the sole is very stiff and while the front and back is also stiff its not like a mountaineering technical stiff feeling. They’re comfy as heck. I have a bad ankle and the only thing that’s helped me over the years is a stiffer boot

sneaky

"DADDY"
Zamberlan makes some good looking women's options. Different lasts in some of them, the ZBPK should be the standard fit. They have some on the women's side they don't offer a comparable one in the men's. 330 Marie and 334 Circe. Kenetrek makes some women's all leather boots too.

Big Ern

WKR
Crispi Thor 2 may be a good match. Flex 4 on their scale, but it isn’t that stiff. The Thor provides nice support in a lightweight package.

I use them for early seasona dm Spring Bear. I switch to the the Briksdal once temps get cooler.