Rain Tarp

robtattoo

WKR
I have a 10x10 & 5x7. The 5x7 I pre-rigged with dyneema cord at all the attachment points, with the little QD alien rings for a super quick setup. I've used in in many rain showers & if it's not in my pack, I'm using it. Damn thing's as handy as a shirt pocket & rolls up to about the size of a 12oz water bottle.
The 10x10 I mostly use with my hammock, but it's been used a couple of times as an ultralight tent option.
Both are simple ripstop numbers from Bushcraft Outfitters.

Marble

WKR
You can buy tyvek pieces in various sizes off of amazon and ebay bu the foot. Come with adhesive loops to put where you want, of you can press brass rings into or several other types of attachments. I got enough for 2 tarps for around $35. Comes with 12 loops iirc. Also doubles as a place to set meat.

I try to bring a tarp even on day hunts. When breaking down an animal it can help keep the meat clean. Planning to make more use out of it when glassing, but afraid of it scaring close animals when a wind comes by.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
Have you glasses from the Silex yet? It's my one hesitation on that setup right now. If the door is up enough to glass, I'm not seeing how thered be very much coverage. Am I wrong thinking that?

No, haven't received it yet. I bought it with that in mind so hoping it works the way I planned.

MattB

WKR
I got a cuben 10x12 I carry occassionally, saved the day once when a t-storm came up during a backcountry fishing kid with 3 young kids.

ohoopee

WKR
I have used a large cuben poncho tarp for several years. Sat out quite a few storms. I have several tarps both cuben and silnylon but the cuben always finds a way into my pack. If I were
20 years younger the silnylon would be my tarp though.

ohoopee

WKR
I have used a large cuben poncho tarp for several years. Sat out quite a few storms. I have several tarps both cuben and silnylon but the cuben always finds a way into my pack. If I were
20 years younger the silnylon would be my tarp though.

Jbake108

FNG
I always run a small jimmy tarp and an SOL bivy. The Jimmy tarp is light weight and can be setup a bunch of different ways (rain/shade). Fairly inexpensive and can withstand abuse,
Warbonnet makes good stuff too there hammock stuff is awesome.

Set up for glassing in a rain shower it would good for two people, but it’d be tight for sleeping. I don’t think I would plan for it to be my two person overnight shelter.

Beckjhong

WKR
I use an LBO base, most often for sun in the summer. Consistent, easy setup and plenty of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the Kelty Noah tarp.
I've sought refuge under this one through some nasty stuff, 40+ winds, holds up as good as you could hope for!

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I do it like a combination of these 2 photos. I have a nallo 2, so the tent side of the pitch looks like the first photo. I use a hilliberg tarp pole for the peak instead of a paddle like the 2nd photo. Depending on weather/wind/location, I'll tie the edges up like the first photo for more space or down like the 2nd photo for more protection.

I use a Hilleberg tarp 10. A kifaru aegis would also be a good option I think. Not sure if something smaller like the tarp 5 or sheep tarp would work well or not.
d616c2b4037cfb357d942488a2116bb1.jpg
6bb1289defb3b900ab11a4c3ba3b4c4f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
So, in the first photo when it rains all the rain water runs straight back onto your tent, or a lot of it anyway?

rino

FNG
I picked up a SkyAir ULT (full setup) this fall and plan to use it for September light and fast hunts. The tarp portion is 8 oz and would make a good get out the rain option for Spring Bear hunts where storms blast thru in the afternoons. It packs up super small. With some light cordage you could pitch it off the ground. You could tie off the peak via cord to a branch above.

So, in the first photo when it rains all the rain water runs straight back onto your tent, or a lot of it anyway?
Yea its really not a problem with a Hilleberg. Also, I pitch with a ridge cord, so a lot of it sheds to the left/right instead of straight back

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I used a Supertarp and bivy on my last solo backpack hunting trip. I had shit weather the whole time, and this setup really worked good. You can stretch out and stand up under the tarp, then be completely enclosed while sleeping. The bivy is pretty warm compared to a tent as well.
3a57d775764ab357c5f0034a11b30fb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davescarp

WKR
Set up for glassing in a rain shower it would good for two people, but it’d be tight for sleeping. I don’t think I would plan for it to be my two person overnight shelter.

yeah for glassing is what I had in mind. would only be used as an emergency shelter

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey man. As a last ditch tarp for bad weather I keep a 9x12 sheet of Tyvek in the pack. My wife sewed in tie down points at the corners and middle edge of all 4 sides. Makes a super lightweight tarp or shelter. It works great for keeping meat out of the dirt as well.