Raw Wild Meat: you eat it?

Do you ever eat raw game meat? If so what have you tried? Experience any negative consequences if you did? Anyone follow a practice contradictory to FDA or popular safety guidelines (like cooking bear meat under 165F)?

Include fish but please exclude any cannibalism recipes im trying to cut back.

Updated: And how’d it taste? Great, crap, just ‘different’ etc

Last edited:
A couple bites when I was kid helping butcher Deer, but I think the adults were just messing with me at the time.

ChrisAU

WKR
I've sampled both elk that I've been a part of taking, fresh off the animal. When they are still warm its no different than if you cut the middle out of a rare steak. Kinda off putting as I read that out loud lol.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Elk Parisa. Parisa is a south Texas raw ground meat dish/appetizer. It was delicious.

Oysters.

I would an ungulate. I frequently hardly sear edges on steak, even without it ever being in anything more than a cooler.

An animal that eats anything other than plants I'm going to cook more.

Not warm and twitching (usually), but deer backstrap cut 1.5" thick and seared to a warm red center with garlic butter on top is one of my favorites.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll munch on raw and blue seared chunks of deer while I’m butchering. I used to keep a pan in the kitchen and pan fry a little bit for snacks while I did the work. I just progressively ate it more and more rare out of hunger one day. Not bad, I prefer it lightly seared on the outside though.

I only do that on an animal I kill and get taken care of in what I consider a safe and very quick manner.

wife is in the food safety business and even she admits that my handling of the deer means it’s probably perfectly safe to eat.

Drenalin

WKR
Trout roe. I didn't get any parasites, but the raw roe wasn't really worth it - not especially good and a little gritty.

Whitetail heart and backstrap, not really that exciting. Think I prefer a little salt and a good sear.

A handful of different insects and one spider. Not sure if that counts, but not recommended in any case. Nightcrawlers either.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Thinly sliced moose steak served sashimi style. Outstanding. Was initially reluctant until a chef friend of mine insisted.
Whitetail deer served the same way, not so much. A bit too much funk as opposed to clean and grassy.
The surprise of the raw sampling was bear heart ceviche. Cored and outer membrane removed. Small 1/4 inch dice and ample citrus/acid and seasoning yields a delicious result. Was inspired on that one seeing Rinella do the same thing with a Nygal heart.

kloppy

FNG
As others have stated, never had any issues snacking on thin slices of backstrap while butchering.

As for your bear meat comment, the FDA recommendations refer to the minimum temperature required to kill trichinosis and other meat-bugs instantly. You can kill them at lower temps if cooked for longer at those lower temps. Same for pork etc.

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't had a problem doing it with deer or elk backstrap yet. With the way I cook steaks or burgers as well I've certainly eaten my fair share of raw meat. Tastes better than cooking the hell out of it in my opinion and I'm still kicking. I love it when other people ask me to cook a burger or steak done like mine. Usually in for quite the surprise haha.

Wapiti1

WKR
Deer, elk and antelope: Biltong, Carpaccio, Parisa, and just salt and pepper on blobs of burger when i'm cooking.
Tuna, snapper and a couple of other fish right on the boat while fishing. Not technically supposed to do this, but it's so tasty.

Paddlefish roe, salmon and trout roe, salmon lax but those are cured. Not sure if cured, or dried counts. The biltong above is really just seasoned and dried with no cooking or full curing done to it.

I've tried liver raw, and it tastes like liver cooked to me. Which I like. Heart is super chewy, so better cooked a little.

Jeremy

EastMT

WKR
I work in the Meat industry, I’m not eating anything raw. I like most stuff cooked medium, safe enough but not boot leather.

I’ve been wanting to make my own biltong for DIY hunting meals, but there’s a fine line between dangerous and safe biltong, it’s a science. Still reading about the process and how to do it correctly.

rclouse79

WKR
I cook my black bear all day so I don’t have to worry about it. I have consumed some deer or elk burgers and steaks that I pulled off the grill to early and were very rare. No issues I am aware of.

Oysters, shrimp, scallops all great raw. Not many ocean fish I won't make ceviche with.. AJs are one but that's due to the worms. Deer, elk, antelope, cow had all those raw. Even when I do cook stuff I am a blue to rare temp guy.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Tried Dolly Varden raw,,,not bad, and Ceviche from Spanish Mackerel which was even better.
Generally speaking, if I can start a fire i'm not eating any raw meat.