RC harnesses vs traditional safety harness

Blackcow

WKR
As far as I know, they haven’t used the dryad, but I have a drey with the mutiny belt and I use the belt as a harness in a hang on and it’s fine. I wouldn’t want to be hanging from any of them for very long, intentionally or unintentionally. I just have the narrow leg straps, probably going to get the wider straps at some point.

fwafwow

WKR
That’s the first time I’ve seen a harness like that, thanks for posting the links. I’m pretty intrigued by that as an option.

I wear a full body now and don’t have (too much) of an issue with it, so I’m used to having my tether coming off my back. Did you find it difficult to have your tether hooked to the front? Where do you have the tether on the tree in relation to the height you’re sitting/standing at?
My pleasure. I do the same as @Macintosh for my tether. @Blackcow makes a good point - no matter what you are using, you need a plan to get down if necessary.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve been using a petzl rock climbing harness for years. For me it’s way way simpler, lighter, and easier to put on/off. Granted, I’m hunting western Nebraska, Eastern Colorado, occasionally Wyoming, etc. so my need and frequency for climbing very high is not very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Cut

WKR

The safest RC harnesses built. Every attachment point is 10KN rated with the main (center) attachment being somewhere between 14-20kn if memory serves me correct.

I own the deluxe, have 8 years on it with no complaints. It’s nice knowing that every loop is a life line attachment point. I like options.

My .02

naternate

FNG
I switched to the Dryad Killdeer and love it. I never wanted to mess with RC harnesses because they had no loops for lineman’s and I didn’t want to mess with DIY loops. I have the mini Drey as well so when I am mobile I am ready for any setup, saddle or stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve been using the Black Diamond Vario Speed and really like it. It’s lightweight, the metal parts are out of the way from my bow or anything else that would bump against it, and simple to use.

Macintosh

WKR

The safest RC harnesses built. Every attachment point is 10KN rated with the main (center) attachment being somewhere between 14-20kn if memory serves me correct.

I own the deluxe, have 8 years on it with no complaints. It’s nice knowing that every loop is a life line attachment point. I like options.

My .02
Metolius website says “all attachments are 4.5kn where possible” but I did not see anything specifically pointing to strengths of various parts. 4.5kn is only 1000lb, which can easily be exceeded just by bouncing on a static tether with your body. All climbing harnesses have a minimum 12kn front-tie-in point, its part of the standard. I cannot find anywhere on metolius’ site where it says every attachment is 10kn—do you have a link or something? This is the best I could find:

IMG_1370.jpeg
(For all, 1kn is a unit of force used in dynamic load testing roughly equivalent to 225lb)

Scrappy

WKR
I use a lineman rope with my RC harness. I attach it to the front of my harness and have had zero issues doing so.
I've never understood why people think they need attachment points on the side when you can achieve the exact same results by attaching to front.

Long Cut

WKR
Metolius website says “all attachments are 4.5kn where possible” but I did not see anything specifically pointing to strengths of various parts. 4.5kn is only 1000lb, which can easily be exceeded just by bouncing on a static tether with your body. All climbing harnesses have a minimum 12kn front-tie-in point, its part of the standard. I cannot find anywhere on metolius’ site where it says every attachment is 10kn—do you have a link or something? This is the best I could find:

View attachment 573843
(For all, 1kn is a unit of force used in dynamic load testing roughly equivalent to 225lb)

IMG_8260.png

541) 382-7585 give Metolius a call if you care enough.

This is a screen grab off Backcountry, but the gear loops are 10KN and the 4.5kn is the individual leg straps.

I have called them before and verified.

You don’t get the same benefits from just a front point.
I work for a power company but im not a lineman and all our lineman climb with lineman loops for a reason.
Try climbing with a climber,or steps,much easier and out of the way with lineman loops.
I use a mini drey now but still have my petzl gym harness.It’s a great harness but I prefer the lineman’s loops.

Long Cut

WKR
I've never understood why people think they need attachment points on the side when you can achieve the exact same results by attaching to front.
Actually you get more distance away from the tree and more stability.
Have you ever climbed a tree using just the center attachment??

pirogue

WKR
If you hunt with climbing sticks, a positioning strap attached to side loops is MUCH easier to clear the steps, than a center tie-off.

Scrappy

WKR
Actually you get more distance away from the tree and more stability.
Have you ever climbed a tree using just the center attachment??
Been doing it for 10 plus years now without feeling any kind of instability.

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you hunt with climbing sticks, a positioning strap attached to side loops is MUCH easier to clear the steps, than a center tie-off.

Attaching climbing sticks is the only time I use a lineman’s rope. I don’t have any difficulties with using a center attachment point.

Macintosh

WKR
Ive use a rock climbing harness for over 30 years, both as-is with center attachment and modified for side linemans belt. It works “fine” both ways, but for me it is noticeably easier with the side attachments, and easier to keep clear vis on whatnis attached where, as I am clipping and unclipping to get around a branch, etc. I think it’s a little safer for this reason, but thats splitting hairs. Also the pull angle is more spread out so its a little more comfortable, although climbing trees to hunt thats virtually irrelevant since I’m only using it for a few moments. Both work, but knowing theres a purpose-built model I’ll probably try one of those in a couple years when my current harness wears out.

Last edited: