Really Right Stuff: TFCT vs Ascend

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. I’m back in the market for a tripod. I was wondering if any of you had a chance to play with both of these.
I’ve had the Ascend model (long version) with the integrated ball head. I didn’t love the ball head and the center post (just never used it) to be honest. I wouldn’t be opposed to it again but I would more than likely go with the short model and the Anvil head.

Main purpose would be shooting off of with glassing being secondary. Anything from range time with the kids, turkey hunting with the kids, to backpacking hunting.
I didn’t carry one last year on my sheep hunt in the NWT but I have a hunt coming up in 2025 and I would like to take one this time.
Thanks for the help.

Lawnboi

WKR
I had an ascend with an anvil and I got a 24l with an anvil after that.

I could see an ascend L in my future again with an anvil head and no center column.

The 24L is border line too big hunting, but it’s a solid tripod. I’ll carry the weight to deal with versatility for myself, as I use it for more than just big game hunting.

The ascend is really a seated/kneeling tripod as I see it, it just dosnt have the stability of the bigger tripods when you get higher off the ground.

Unfortunately there is no one size fits all. It’s all give and take.

The 24L is border line too big hunting, but it’s a solid tripod. I’ll carry the weight to deal with versatility for myself, as I use it for more than just big game hunting.
Basically this. The TFCT is a more solid and versatile tripod as I see it, but it depends if you want to take the weight cost. It's worth it for me and the type of hunting I do but it may be different for you.

I had an ascend with an anvil and I got a 24l with an anvil after that.

I could see an ascend L in my future again with an anvil head and no center column.

The ascend is really a seated/kneeling tripod as I see it, it just dosnt have the stability of the bigger tripods when you get higher off the ground.

Unfortunately there is no one size fits all. It’s all give and take.
I just got my ascend 14 platform and my Anvil 30 Arc, I just don’t know how to attach the Anvil without the column on the ascend, seems like I need to get an adapter or a screw or something. Please advise

Lawnboi

WKR
I just got my ascend 14 platform and my Anvil 30 Arc, I just don’t know how to attach the Anvil without the column on the ascend, seems like I need to get an adapter or a screw or something. Please advise
I would call them to confirm you’re getting up to date information.

I only attached mine direct with out a center column.

I bought caps and can remove one or two leg sections on my 24l. It gets the weight way down, if you don’t mind sitting or kneeling.

With two sections removed, the height looking through level 12x50s is 42”. I’ve used this quite a bit for glassing while sitting.
1704172310502.jpeg

Removing the two legs saves 1 pound 6.7 ounces. I bought the caps on amazon.
1704172393266.jpeg
1704172513309.jpeg

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I bought caps and can remove one or two leg sections on my 24l. It gets the weight way down, if you don’t mind sitting or kneeling.

With two sections removed, the height looking through level 12x50s is 42”. I’ve used this quite a bit for glassing while sitting.
View attachment 650583

Removing the two legs saves 1 pound 6.7 ounces. I bought the caps on amazon.
View attachment 650586
View attachment 650588

That’s awesome! What caps did you find that fit? I’d like to do this with my 24L.

bpurtz

WKR
I just picked up the Ascend Long Platform, Anvil, Scout, and Outdoorsmans Post - for me, I can't imagine efficiently glassing off the tripod w/o the center column. I bought the setup so I could have the option to shoot off of it, but the majority of the time it will be used for glassing.

I have a TFCT 24L. To me, an ideal model would be between the 24 and 24L. The 33 is tempting for a little weight gain.

The way guys are adding lightweight pan heads to these for glassing, I'd consider a Versa model with a leveling base depending on the frequency of needs for greater than 20 degree angled shots. The leveling bases are just more steady for shooting than the anvil.