Would you do it?

OP
Andrew12gauge
Man I would say early in the am or just before dark on maybe a day there’s not as much traffic, if your going to do it. He does not travel to water, or food ( away from road) ? And it’s amazing how unaware people really are. While traveling to different jobs I see deer, elk, antelope coyotes a lot. Co workers will be either driving ahead of me or behind me, and when we stop I ask did you those ( what ever they were) and 9 times out of 10 they didn’t even see them if they were standing 100 feet off the road. If they were bedded ( not moving) they never see a thing. And these are guys that hunt some what.

He feeds pretty much right where he beds and on his way to water which is probably only 300 yds from the road, but the area around the water would be about impossible to get close to him. He has a real small area he is calling home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Why not just wait longer and shoot him dead with a rifle? Will he move out come October? Flinging arrows that close to busy people areas is always sketchy. I did it once with a bow and got really lucky that my 530 grain arrow through lungs dropped the buck dead where he stood.

OP
Andrew12gauge
Why not just wait longer and shoot him dead with a rifle? Will he move out come October? Flinging arrows that close to busy people areas is always sketchy. I did it once with a bow and got really lucky that my 530 grain arrow through lungs dropped the buck dead where he stood.

I just think I have a better chance of catching him in his summer pattern, who knows what he will do once he sheds velvet and starts thinking about does

TaperPin

WKR
There will be a dozen pickups parked nearby on opening morning and after introducing each other over last nights gut pile you’ll have a chance to tell stories of what a nice deer it was. 😂

Dude, I would totally figure out a way to attempt to kill a 170" deer if he's in a legal spot. Just don't say a word to anyone. Don't even tell your wife where he is.

I’m slightly conflicted, there is a large buck I’ve seen pretty regularly this year on public land but he lives about 200 yds off of a very busy highway where anybody driving by can see him in plain sight. Not an area known for producing big bucks but this one looks to be 170”+, and he is in just enough of an out of the way spot that it’s possible not too many people will be after him. Is it worth trying to chase the buck during archery, I pretty well know where he beds every day and I think I could slip in there and cut him off on his way to bed. I do worry about all the traffic going by and the potential for a hit deer to run a long ways(potentially right into the freeway?). Give it to me straight am I crazy to even attempt it?

In my experience, a majority of the time deer run back to an are they are familiar with and feel safe. I would guess this buck is not crossing the busy highway often. If you shoot him, I would think the odds are higher he will run back to where he’s familiar.

You would think others will be after him.

I would have a really good plan of attack to intercept him on the way to his bed opening morning.

It would not shock me if another Hunter basically stalked straight at him from the highway opening morning, so the path to his bed might double as an escape route.

Good luck, post the story!

manitou1

WKR
I have never had a deer go more than seventy yards after hit with an arrow.
Practice and hit him where it hurts.

Regardless, if that 170" deer is the best you have on your hit list, go after him.

Who cares if there is a .004% chance of a non-hunter happening by and seeing the hit deer. They already have their mind made up. You might as well cherish the fact that you can ruin their morning. 😁🤣

Somebody is going to kill that deer, either bow, rifle or car... it may as well be you.

Sounds like you have him patterned well! Have you ever seen him on the road? Seems like if he crossed it too much he would already be dead. Oh and post pics once you get him 👍🏻

OP
Andrew12gauge
Sounds like you have him patterned well! Have you ever seen him on the road? Seems like if he crossed it too much he would already be dead. Oh and post pics once you get him

No thankfully he seems happy right off the road but not in it