Remington 700 to build or not to ?

My dad handed me down a Rem 700 300 win mag he bought in the mid 80’s. This thing is beautiful and Cherry , I think the top model 700 from that era glossy polished stock of some fancy wood and been shot very minimal like a box or two.

It has a Timney trigger , he put it in some crapy Tupperware to save the beautiful stock and Leupold rings and VX2 scope . Id like to have built or buy my first and probably only custom rifle to keep forever. Question is , would you use this rifle as a donor or keep it as your dad gave it to you and buy an already built custom.

If you’d use it for a build post up what you’d do to it.

robtattoo

WKR
You can buy a new donor for $300
You couldn't replace an older model CDL (if that's what it is) for 5 times that.
Sentiment aside, it makes little or no financial sense to alter your Dad's gun.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
I agree. Keep it as is and buy/build a different gun. What are you looking for in a "custom" gun? This gun will probably shoot as well as most custom guns with the right ammo anyways.

OP
Cant hit em
I agree. Keep it as is and buy/build a different gun. What are you looking for in a "custom" gun? This gun will probably shoot as well as most custom guns with the right ammo anyways.

Great point , i shoot my bow a lot and my rifles not so much . My daughter’s first year hunting and she is drawn to rifles more than her bow. Id like to start shooting more with her and the long range stuff is drawing my interest. So in a custom id like to have a rifle that i can learn to reach out 700-1000yds with accuracy.

My dad and I have around 10-12 rem 700s. You will never need another hunting rifle, especially in that caliber. Absolutely shoot it, what better way to honor a gift from your father than taking it out and putting food on the table with it!?!? I would have it glass bedded, try out some custom loads and stick with the one that gets the best groups. Done.

mcr-85

WKR
I would bet if you worked up a load with that rifle you'd be surprised what it will do. Like said above, glass bed it. Then throw a new scope on it and work up a load and go kill something.

Azone

WKR
If he already swapped stocks and in a sense broke up the original gun I would at least consider ditching the Tupperware style stock and upgrade there and leave everything else as is. If it had been given to you mint condition in un altered factory form then it would make it a little different, at least in my opinion to not screw up the old mans rifle. By leaving the barrel and action alone you can always put it back to its original form if you get the urge.

My favorite rifle I own is a CDL and I wish I would have just got a synthetic stock for it when I bought it. It had pretty wood at one time, now, well......its a face only a mother could love I guess. But it still shoots pretty good.

hevi14

FNG
i woulk keep it and build off a donor action. My built guns will outshoot my abilities and are cool if you're into reloading. That being said you can get by a lot cheaper buying a production rifle. I would look into the tikka rifles. My .260 ctr is a 1/2 moa gun with reloads.

Was it a gun your dad got with intentions of using and never got to?

I don't know that I would be that tied to it if he didn't use it much. If it is 30 years old and has only had that many rounds through it I don't think it was really used. I'm assuming he has another rifle that he actually used for the most part. Maybe not.

My point is if it's not a gun that your really into you might be better off to sell it and put the money towards something you will use. I wouldn't use it as a platform to build off of. Be better to sell it and start new.

Keep it since it has sentimental value to you and probably your daughter.
I would pillar bed it in the original wood stock and work up a load for it if you handload.
To me a rifle is meant to be used. That factory wood stock although it looks nice it’s not a $2000 custom wood stock. Scratches add character and are memories on my wood stocks.
Take the rifle on hunts and make more memories with it and your family.

I own a 1963 Remington 700 BDL in 30/06. It was the first year they produced the model. While yours is not as old or vintage, so to speak, it is as FINE a production rifle ever made. Period. You'd have to have a lose screw to foul up a heirloom from your dad on top of that.

Buy another action, fit it to a barrel of your choosing, and build a rifle if you must. But, don't screw that 700 up.

FWIW, I have half a dozen friends who have bought a Ruger American, topped it with top dollar glass, and instantaneously had a 1000 yard gun. With factory loads. Just something to consider.

16Bore

WKR
Leave it as is and buy a Tikka. Once you get out of the Rifle Looney stage you cant unbuild it.

Ask me how I know.