Rifle plan for deer and elk

Drenalin

WKR
So I haven’t rifle hunted in about 20 years (I do hunt with a modern muzzleloader) but have decided to buy a new rifle in the coming weeks for use next season. This rifle would be for whitetails and hopefully elk and/or mule deer in the near future. Range would be limited (self-imposed) to 400 yards. I am considering a Bergara B-14 Hunter in .30-06 with a Meopta MeoPro 6x42 and Talley lightweight alloy mounts (the one-piece jobs). I have no doubt this setup would be adequate for my stated purpose, assuming I do my part.

My questions, or what I need advice on:

1) Are there better options out there in this same pricing ballpark? For reference, the rifle is about 700, scope 400.

2) Downsides to a fixed 6 scope? I’ve generally had variables in the past, but never really used that feature.

3) I’ve heard Bergaras can be finicky on what ammo they like, wondering if anyone with some experience with one could confirm or deny that. I intend to try a handful of cartridges anyway, but it’d be nice to start off with a few that I could be reasonably certain the rifle would cycle.

Thanks in advance!

DarylG619

FNG
I just picked up an SWFA 6x on black friday. If you're looking or think you will eventually want to dial I would recommend looking into SWFA. There are a ton a posts on here about them. Never handled the rifle you are looking at but you can get a Tikka T3x lite in .30-06 for about the same price, it weighs about a pound less. Might be worth looking into.

jfs82

WKR
I've got a b14 ridge in 6.5 and when I tested factory ammo I tried 3. All three shot 5 round groups sub 1inch, Barnes at .44 I don't own one but in that same price range plenty on here will tell you a tikka will give you what you need as well.

N2TRKYS

WKR
My deer/elk combo setup is a Remington Model Seven SS with a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 sitting in Talley lightweight rings. I have three of these rifles: a 7 SAUM, 7-08 and 308. I killed an elk with the SAUM this year, so next up is the 7-08.

These are very handy little rifles.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
I just picked up an SWFA 6x on black friday. If you're looking or think you will eventually want to dial I would recommend looking into SWFA. There are a ton a posts on here about them. Never handled the rifle you are looking at but you can get a Tikka T3x lite in .30-06 for about the same price, it weighs about a pound less. Might be worth looking into.
I definitely considered the SWFA scope, but I don't see myself ever dialing a scope in a hunting situation. I'm not saying anything bad about it or that there's anything wrong with it if that's somebody's thing, it just isn't for me. So without needing that feature, I was leaning toward scopes that were a little sleeker profile and lighter weight.

The Tikka is still in the mix as far as the rifle goes. I am concerned about recoil at their weight, and if I go with a Tikka I may also go with a lighter caliber. I also need to handle one before making a final decision, which is also true of the Bergara.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
I really like my B14 hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. Havent found a factory ammo it doesnt like.
I've got a b14 ridge in 6.5 and when I tested factory ammo I tried 3. All three shot 5 round groups sub 1inch, Barnes at .44 I don't own one but in that same price range plenty on here will tell you a tikka will give you what you need as well.
Good to hear, I had read in a few other places this was a concern and am glad to know that hasn't been an across-the-board issue.

Dcaccia

FNG
The mil-quad reticle that swfa offers works well as a bdc reticle for me, after you get your bullet drops figured.

ianpadron

WKR
With a self imposed range of 400 yards I'd get a lower recoil short action option, especially if you plan on carrying it out West.

For deer and the occasional elk a 7mm08 would be SWEET.

Lighter, less recoil, plenty of juice out to 400 (and then some)

A light rifle in .30-06 WILL NOT be fun to shoot. I have a Tikka T3 and that sucker beats me up, although the limbsaver pad made a markable difference.

If lightweight is your goal for thr scope, get a fixed SWFA or Leupy and call er good. I personally like to dial my scopes but that's just a personal preference.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Overall you’ve got some good picks on all fronts for a hunting rifle.

I’ve had fixed 4X and fixed 6X scopes on a few different rifles and got along with them OK but found over time that I prefer variables for the flexibility they give. There are times when I need a big field of view and other times where I need more magnification to make a precise shot at a distance.

There are literally dozens of rifle, cartridge and optics possibilities and combinations which would work for your intended purposes.
If you have predetermined preferences, run with it. If later on you want to try something different there’s always the classified section to list your stuff on. If you buy top quality in the beginning it holds it’s value well if you decide to change your setup down the road.

Half the fun of rifle hunting is trying new equipment to see what you like.

howl

WKR
400 hundred is about a hundred further than I'd want to use a 6x on game. Low power variables maxing out around 6x are mostly what I use for SE deer. Shooting to 300 is not a problem. Past that I lose confidence I do not lose if I can turn up the mag some more.

I wouldn't want the narrow field of view deer hunting in TN where shot distance can be measured in feet rather than yards. 2-10x is easier to live with. For $400 I think you can find a Burris Veracity if you shop around.

Never had a Bergara. Generally I would expect you can choose whatever decent quality rifle floats your boat these days. If this is solely a low volume hunting rifle, not targets much, I would look at 270 WSM over 30/06. 'bout the same on your end, but you get more out the barrel. If targets much, nothing beats being able to buy a wide variety of cheap ammo in .308. A .308 is a joy to feed.

I didn't see anything about the scope mount. The mount is as important as the rifle and scope. Scope mount and stock quality are overlooked details when shopping for a rig.

Really, though. You can buy whatever you want. It'll do.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
400 hundred is about a hundred further than I'd want to use a 6x on game. Low power variables maxing out around 6x are mostly what I use for SE deer. Shooting to 300 is not a problem. Past that I lose confidence I do not lose if I can turn up the mag some more.

I wouldn't want the narrow field of view deer hunting in TN where shot distance can be measured in feet rather than yards. 2-10x is easier to live with. For $400 I think you can find a Burris Veracity if you shop around.

Never had a Bergara. Generally I would expect you can choose whatever decent quality rifle floats your boat these days. If this is solely a low volume hunting rifle, not targets much, I would look at 270 WSM over 30/06. 'bout the same on your end, but you get more out the barrel. If targets much, nothing beats being able to buy a wide variety of cheap ammo in .308. A .308 is a joy to feed.

I didn't see anything about the scope mount. The mount is as important as the rifle and scope. Scope mount and stock quality are overlooked details when shopping for a rig.

Really, though. You can buy whatever you want. It'll do.
Good points. I’m looking into a 4-12 variable power because of the close shots here at home. Planning on one-piece Talley lightweight mounts.

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
I do most of my hunting with a 30-06 Remington 700 and a 6x Leupold scope. Reasonably light, accurate, setup. It carries easy and has been 100% reliable. Sometimes I'll hunt with a different rifle just for the heck of it, but I've used it on black bear, antelope, elk, mule deer, wolf and grizzly with great success.

Just one simple, sturdy combo. Many will do fine.

Regards, Guy

Werty

WKR
Get a variable scope, it's like 4 wheel drive. It's there for when you need it. 3-12 or something I guarantee you won't regret it

hodgeman

WKR
"2) Downsides to a fixed 6 scope? I’ve generally had variables in the past, but never really used that feature."

Not for what you described. I love hunting with fixed power scopes and even on my rifles with variables, I tend to shoot everything at 6x.

A good '06 with a fixed 6x scope will do for any big game hunting on this continent and the majority of it everywhere else.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
Wife sent me to Lowe’s today for light bulbs and some other junk. I ended up somewhere else and came home with the Bergara B-14 Hunter in .30-06. The look on her face when I came in the door was priceless! I got the stuff she wanted too.

Last edited:

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Nice choice!

They really are nice rifles. I picked up a B-14 Woodsman in 270 a little while back and I've been very happy with it. I topped mine with a Leupold VX3i 2-8x36.