Rifle recommendations

Can you please give more details? I’m looking to buy Guide Gun / Alaskan. And I keep stumbling across comments that m77 have problems.

I’ve had nothing but great experience with Ruger rifles and customer service.
I bought a used 77/17 that would occasionally fire when closing the bolt due to a amateur trigger job. I called them and explained everything including the fact that I bought it used. They sent a call tag, replaced the trigger and had it back to me in 2 weeks at no charge, not even shipping!

I know a couple guides that had issues with laminate stocks that were constantly soaked day in day out for months on end. Mine spent a week on Kodiak, a week in the Talkeetnas, 3 weeks on the N Carolina coast with no issues.

Ruger used cheap outsourced barrels from the 60’s - 1990 and they had tons of issues. It was rare to find a lemon after that. Ruger has further stepped up their QC and I’ve yet to see a Hawkeye that wouldn’t shoot or had feeding issues, except the first production run of .416 Rugers. I’ve spoken with 3 people who had that issue and they were taken care of by Ruger Customer service.

tdhanses

WKR
I couldn't find a Howa in stainless, it was actually
one of my first thoughts....
I'll take a look at the Ruger and Winchester ( I forgot to mention that Remington is also a no go)

Yeah unfortunately they stopped importing the stainless, but if you get a barreled action just have it rebarreled and you’ll have a semi custom for them. Just get the action cerakoted.

I just did my first Howa build in 6.5cm and really like it.

Another option, find a few used Howa’s in stainless and rebarrel plus put a good stock on. That’s what I did. I did add a mag box as I prefer them 😆

58BA89DA-E968-4726-A226-5CAFE0E5EBF1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
D
OP can you give us update?

I'm 99.9% going with the Ruger M77 hawkeye predators. They are built like tanks, , 3 position safety, no plastic trigger guards or bolt covers, have hinged steel floor plates instead of plastic mags, heavier barrel contour, and American made. I'm waiting two weeks to see if any local gun shops or Ruger has a black Friday promo before I buy two at full tilt..I really hope they are as accurate as other rifles in this price range. At ~$1000 per rifle, I expect sub moa with factory ammo.

Nothing about Winchester 70 stainless really got me excited, too lightweight, kinda loose feeling bolt, and the two guns shops I went to both felt that the accuracy was going to possibly be a bigger gamble than going with Ruger.

I have a few Tikkas and they are not bad rifles, but I think they are completely overhyped. ( kind of like the 6.5cr lol) The plastic mag and plastic "bottom metal" are my biggest gripes, that and the cheap safety just don't do it for me. My oldest son (16) hates them, my youngest son (12) loves his Tikkas... go figure., it all comes down to personal preference in the end.

In response to some of the cerakote suggestions, I think it's a decent product and has its place in the firearms industry but it's just not as durable as stainless or even true bluing. Besides, the inside of the barrel and action aren't coated with cerakote. These rifles will be riding inside wet scabbards on horseback, days at a time without drying... that is an accelerated incubator for rust to form.

I really appreciate everyone's input ,opinions, and personal experiences that replied....
I'll update this thread after I pick up the rifles.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My Ruger M77 stainless in .17 Hornet is one of my favorite rifles to take out of the safe and shoot. It gets the call about as much as my Cooper .204 does on the ranch (daily). It’s a great rig. Please heed this advice... Put the Jard trigger on it as soon as you buy it lol. Affordable stainless trigger that is 1000% better than those awful factory Ruger triggers.

Good luck finding a good deal on one. Don’t forget to check Gunbroker.

OP
D
The M77 predator variant supposedly fixed the notoriously bad "LC6" trigger and replaced it with a fully adjustable 2 stage. I'll give it a try before upgrading.
My Ruger M77 stainless in .17 Hornet is one of my favorite rifles to take out of the safe and shoot. It gets the call about as much as my Cooper .204 does on the ranch (daily). It’s a great rig. Please heed this advice... Put the Jard trigger on it as soon as you buy it lol. Affordable stainless trigger that is 1000% better than those awful factory Ruger triggers.

Good luck finding a good deal on one. Don’t forget to check Gunbroker.

MattiG

FNG
If the American-made piece is critical, then ignore the rest of what I have to say, but after shopping with a set of similar constraints (6.5, floor plate, heavier barrel, sub-$1000, accurate out of the box), I ended up with the Bergara Ridge. It's a lot of gun for $795 or whatever I paid... Accuracy leaves nothing to be desired, and it will target shoot if you're into that sort of thing.

OP
D
Stainless?
If the American-made piece is critical, then ignore the rest of what I have to say, but after shopping with a set of similar constraints (6.5, floor plate, heavier barrel, sub-$1000, accurate out of the box), I ended up with the Bergara Ridge. It's a lot of gun for $795 or whatever I paid... Accuracy leaves nothing to be desired, and it will target shoot if you're into that sort of thing.

MattiG

FNG
Ah, I must have missed that line item. No, it's not stainless. And frankly, it's my biggest concern with this gun. I've resolved to keep it dried and oiled after use, and hope for the best. The cerakote definitely comes off too easily in certain places.

OP
D
My concern is keeping them from rusting in the field. Rifles that ride in scabbards are subjected to 10x more wear than backpacking carry. Add some moisture to the equation and you've got custom speckled barrels.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
The cerakote definitely comes off too easily in certain places.

Which application did you have put on? There are two methods of Cerakote, type C & type H. Type C is applied and left to dry naturally for about 5 day's & is about 60% of the hardness of type H. Type H is cured with heat and offers the best application for this product.

MattiG

FNG
Which application did you have put on? There are two methods of Cerakote, type C & type H. Type C is applied and left to dry naturally for about 5 day's & is about 60% of the hardness of type H. Type H is cured with heat and offers the best application for this product.

I'm just referring to whatever the stock finish is on the rifle (it may not be cerakote). I haven't done anything with it post-purchase other than mount a scope and make ragged-edged holes in targets.

OP
D
My experience has only been with factory applied cerakote (FN, Ruger, Aero) so I'm not sure about the different types. Edges, outside radiuses, protrusions etc all wear much faster than even the cheapest bluing. I think its glorified krylon, and view it as a cosmetic fad.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 99.9% going with the Ruger M77 hawkeye predators. They are built like tanks, , 3 position safety, no plastic trigger guards or bolt covers, have hinged steel floor plates instead of plastic mags, heavier barrel contour, and American made. I'm waiting two weeks to see if any local gun shops or Ruger has a black Friday promo before I buy two at full tilt..I really hope they are as accurate as other rifles in this price range. At ~$1000 per rifle, I expect sub moa with factory ammo.

Nothing about Winchester 70 stainless really got me excited, too lightweight, kinda loose feeling bolt, and the two guns shops I went to both felt that the accuracy was going to possibly be a bigger gamble than going with Ruger.

I have a few Tikkas and they are not bad rifles, but I think they are completely overhyped. ( kind of like the 6.5cr lol) The plastic mag and plastic "bottom metal" are my biggest gripes, that and the cheap safety just don't do it for me. My oldest son (16) hates them, my youngest son (12) loves his Tikkas... go figure., it all comes down to personal preference in the end.

In response to some of the cerakote suggestions, I think it's a decent product and has its place in the firearms industry but it's just not as durable as stainless or even true bluing. Besides, the inside of the barrel and action aren't coated with cerakote. These rifles will be riding inside wet scabbards on horseback, days at a time without drying... that is an accelerated incubator for rust to form.

I really appreciate everyone's input ,opinions, and personal experiences that replied....
I'll update this thread after I pick up the rifles.
Ruger m77, God dam you're gonna miss those tikkas..
I've had nothing but problems with the two I've owned, my buddies Hawkeye shot 2 moa on a good day.
Total crap triggers with limited aftermarket support.
Good luck

EmperorMA

WKR
and the two guns shops I went to both felt that the accuracy was going to possibly be a bigger gamble than going with Ruger.
I find this to be the complete opposite of what I hear and read. One of the best things about recent Winchester Model 70s has been their consistent accuracy across the board. The shops I’ve been in and the folks who have them all say the M70 barrels are as accurate as high-end custom barrels costing as much as the entire rifle.

I’ve owned or been around over a dozen M70 rifles built since FN took the reins and all have easily been MOA or better with factory ammo right out of the box. I have never heard or experienced anywhere near that type of accuracy with a Ruger 77 of any flavor.