Rifle Sling Recommendation

Midwest hunter who takes a trip to CO/WY every year looking for rifle sling recommendations. Currently rocking old faithful leather sling attached to my 25lb 7-mag (feels like anyway) but I just cannot go through the pain for another year. Rig is to heavy to carry freehand any reasonable distance and after 6 days in the hills, seems to damn near wear a groove in my shoulder. Looking for some suggestions on what you guys love/hate/recommend. Appreciate any insight you gents might have on the topic.

TN2shot07

WKR
If I’m going too far I’d prefer to have it strapped to my pack. For just a sling, this has been my favorite

I like to carry my rifle up front so it's accessible. I use either an Edgar Sherman, Blue Force Gear Vicker's, or Ferro Concepts sling. Lightweight, simple slings are my favorite. I use QD sling swivels on the sides of the rifle. If I'm not carrying it that way I'll just attach the rifle to my pack.

wyosteve

WKR
I don't know if there's a current version similar to it, but I use what's called a Wyoming split sling. Can put it over the shoulder like a regular one, but the strap is 'split' into 2 so you can wear it like a backpack, hands free. I usually use a lumbar/fanny pack and not a backpack so it does well especially if climbing somewhere that you need your hands.

Kifaru gun bearer if hiking with a pack is my preferred

If carrying just a rifle I think the rifle slings with the rubber are nice

BradySC05

FNG
No sling at all! Get your pack rigged up with a gun carrier with a quick release. Much better route in my opinion.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Kifaru gun bearer for a few years now and never had an issue. Super quick and comfortable. As long as you get ur top strap in the right place on the barrel and tight enough, it wont bounce around on yu. Besides the minute it takes to get that right, idk why more guys dont use it. Never had an issue with the fact that its in front of me vs behind my shoulder, even when climbing up steep terrain

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
Gun bearer, slik sling, vickers, and my own modified version of a vickers but attached to a pack.
If I'm packing a 22"+barrel rifle its either in a gun bearer type or slik sling.
If im packingva carbine ( im usually packing a carbine) i carry front ready muzzle down using a vickers type or more often my own design 2 peice vickers attached right to the packgiving me instant access to the gun while still being hands free. I love this style while elk calling, tracking, or still hunting.

fwafwow

WKR
Great thread. I'm also considering a new sling for a new rifle (Sako S20). Note - my primary use would not involve a backpack.

I'm somewhat enamored with the sling that Sako promotes - the 3HGR Takedown - but it's spendy and not readily available. I do have some Ferro Concepts Slingsters on my ARs (and the Edgar Shermans and Vickers seem similar - and maybe better in some respects). Anyone use a 3HGR that can comment as to whether it provides some advantages? I do like the Red Kettle though - thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
Most packs have these sliders up on the shoulder straps - 550 cord hooks over these quite well and puts the weight on a shoulder strap. Imagine that - a sling that weighs almost nothing and doesn’t dig into your shoulders. I started using parachute cord or thin accessory cord slings back in the 1990s and couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

• 0BB41768-6C6A-4E20-91AA-19D5379B6515.jpeg
    0BB41768-6C6A-4E20-91AA-19D5379B6515.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 53

fwafwow

WKR
Most packs have these sliders up on the shoulder straps - 550 cord hooks over these quite well and puts the weight on a shoulder strap. Imagine that - a sling that weighs almost nothing and doesn’t dig into your shoulders. I started using parachute cord or thin accessory cord slings back in the 1990s and couldn’t be happier.
If you are replying to me, I should have specified (and I’ve edited my post) that my current use doesn’t include a pack.