Rock tumbler for brass cleaning?

I have recently taken the dive into reloading for long range rifle shooting. Thoughts on the suitability to use a rock tumbler to clean brass? It seems like the right sort of thing and already have a small one that I got to use with my son.

eschafer

FNG
I too bought a small rock tumbler years ago... Works OK for small batches... 30 brass max... If I were to buy stainless media again, I'd omit stainless pins and opt for stainless chips... for some reason the pins pack and jam full (tight) inside 270 win... inside 7mm-08 and 338 Win there is no problem... there must be something about 270 brass dimensions with pin dimensions...

OP
Bobrobheimer
Great, glad to hear I can save some money for now. I am not gonna be reloading large quantities so the smaller batch is not an issue. I ordered some stainless chips based on yours and some other’s recommendations to that effect.

Jimbee

WKR
Great, glad to hear I can save some money for now. I am not gonna be reloading large quantities so the smaller batch is not an issue. I ordered some stainless chips based on yours and some other’s recommendations to that effect.
The only time I clean brass anymore is when I pick up some from the range that's been stomped into the mud. You probably won't really need to clean your brass if you don't care about how it looks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That’s all Amber tumbler really is… a rock tumbler. I have a Frankfort arsenal that I use steel chips in. I do t use it anywhere near as much as I used to.

OP
Bobrobheimer
The only time I clean brass anymore is when I pick up some from the range that's been stomped into the mud. You probably won't really need to clean your brass if you don't care about how it looks.
Yeah - I have been kinda wondering about this. I don’t care how it looks - as long as it shoots. So wiping it down seems reasonable but would the case capacity diminish at all over time from build up inside the case?

Jimbee

WKR
Yeah - I have been kinda wondering about this. I don’t care how it looks - as long as it shoots. So wiping it down seems reasonable but would the case capacity diminish at all over time from build up inside the case?
I doubt it..probably not enough for me to notice anyway.