RokStok

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Guys…

It does not take some special magical rear bag.

This is ridiculous. I’d stab my self in the eye if I “needed” some specific bag. I shoot off a cinder block and pencil bag filled about 30% of the way with poly beads. It doesn’t matter if I have gamechanger, Tayler bag, puffy in a stuff sack, a bino pack, a bino, a rock, or a log as a rear rest. And…. I teach everyone to do the same without issue.

Guys…

This is ridiculous. I’d stab my self in the eye if I “needed” some specific bag. I shoot off a cinder block and pencil bag filled about 30% of the way with poly beads. It doesn’t matter if I have gamechanger, Tayler bag, puffy in a stuff sack, a bino pack, a bino, a rock, or a log as a rear rest. And…. I teach everyone to do the same without issue.
Pay attention folks, adapt and overcome. It doesn't always take dollars to make it happen.

i understand why it can be exasperating but this entire thread is about getting a piece of equipment that better how we shoot/hunt so it’s not surprising people would be the mood to analyze if our equipment choices are appropriate for what we are doing.

Fowl Play

WKR
Not going to lie… I don’t use a bag in the field when hunting and typically had been shifting my left hand under the angled toe to make slight adjustments in prone shooting. But… I also have only recently begun shooting more seriously at extended ranges. So would like to be educated here for hunting situations.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have enough experience to know what is practical and what works in the field.

Intersesting. So you can’t or won’t say which stocks, which chassis, what conditions, what terrain, how many animals, etc?

But you have “experience”.

Let's take 3 examples of modern long range stocks GW nexus, Allterra, and McMillan warden LR. Do you mean to tell me that none of those stocks had any R&D or forethought into the design of the toe?

How many rounds do you believe were fired in iterative testing and evaluation for those stocks before they finalized the design? I know the background of two of those.

You are wildly mistaken if you believe that companies in this industry are actually testing anything before they sell it, by and large.

It is not appealing to authority or anachronism. Its practical field use with applied research and development.

Ok- what research and development have you done personally? Again- what stocks and what chassis in what environments and what animals?

I'm not blindly following anyone, im simply stating and supporting my position. I can see i struck a nerve. Not my intention, and I hope your stock does well for you and all that buy it.

It isn’t “my” stock. And there is no nerve struck. Your position is ridiculous. If someone can’t make elevation changes without an angled toe line in the field, they need to learn to shoot.

If I couldn’t make elevation changes quickly in the rear without an angled toe, Seppuku would be an option.

I mean I could make the damn thing work with a bag if I had to but there are more practical options that function better in the field and don't look as....bad.

And that is your actual issue.

How about Alex Wheeler? Does he shoot and experiment enough for your standards? Here is his thoughts on the rokstok

No. He doesn’t. The shooting he does has almost no functional use to killing animals in the field, specifically the mountain west, at speed and under stress.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Guys…

Absolutely. Items need to do double duty, especially if one is backpacking. And please don't stab yourself in the eye.......then you would have to shoot lefthanded.

Randy

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Thats actually why I carry one, it's great to throw over a rock or branch. And it works as a rear bag.

And it makes an acceptable napping pillow, in a pinch.......
I’m for napping pillow being of equal importance to shooting rest and believe that from her on out all bags should be designed for use as front, rear, and back of head. If it’s gonna cost me a $100 it better be comfy.