Run n gun system?

vanish

WKR
I am interested in the tree saddle but they just seem way too dangerous to me.

Tree saddles are safer than treestands as you're always attached to the tree. You literally can't hunt out of it without being attached. Lineman belt up the tree, clip in to saddle, unhook lineman belt and you're never able to free fall.

Btaylor

WKR
I get that the saddle systems require you to be attached but you do not have be unattached if you are using a stand, at least I am not.

The more I look around I kind of like the idea of just permanently attaching some molle shoulder straps and hip belt on the stand and leaving it on there, should make it much quicker to get setup/taken down.

Any links on how to accomplish that would be great, need something to watch when I get home!

The molle straps have little belt loop type things attached to them already. Just loop them around the stand and you’re good to go. If you’re looking to quiet the whole stand setup check out stealth strips also. I have my stand and sticks wrapped in them and they dampen the metal on metal noise when you’re setting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddle changed everything for me. The added mobility and flexibility made hunting fun again. Highly recommend. Sorry, just my evangelical moment for the day.
I've been contemplating on going saddle. I do a lot of hang and hunts on private and public land. The saddle will be so much lighter. Which setup do you have (saddle, platform, tree sticks, etc)? Thanks

Brendan

WKR
Tree saddles are safer than treestands as you're always attached to the tree. You literally can't hunt out of it without being attached. Lineman belt up the tree, clip in to saddle, unhook lineman belt and you're never able to free fall.

I've used both. They are no more safe, no less. The saddle has very little to do with how you climb the tree - that would be exactly the same as a hang on.

I tried the mantis saddle last season never could get comfortable with the setup sold it going back to LW but saddle is definitely lighter

*zap*

WKR
Unless your walking and looking for a spot to hunt I have found that just carrying the stand in my hand is my preferred method.

cfbrown81

FNG
7015260af9467c7f4cf95f5d5b2b7781.jpg

cb6eaf7827b08a1f46d4502298a671d7.jpg

This is what I’ve been doing. Got the idea from the hunting beast forum. Easy way to use your stand as a load shelf

I really like this idea!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cfbrown81

FNG
Molle here as well. Which I don't carry that much stuff with me. If it's winter everything can easily be compartmentalized in my fanatic jacket or vest. Takes needing a pack, hand warmers, etc out of the equation

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I struggled for years to find a real effective way to carry a treestand and gear on hunts. Nothing worked. Bought a tree saddle, absolute game changer. I am running an Aero Hunter kestrel, a single lone wolf stick, a DIY foot platform. Whole set up weighs less than 10lbs. I climb using the single stick method. A little practice and now I,can get 20 feet up in just a few minutes. My saddle and platform fit down in my pack and the stick is strapped to the side. No clunky stand grabbing limbs and making noise, no buckles and straps flopping everywhere. And i feel safer in a saddle than any stand I have ever used.

Dazzler

WKR
I second the saddle. So much easier, lighter and cheaper depending on the gear you choose.

OP
Jacob Chapman
7015260af9467c7f4cf95f5d5b2b7781.jpg

cb6eaf7827b08a1f46d4502298a671d7.jpg

This is what I’ve been doing. Got the idea from the hunting beast forum. Easy way to use your stand as a load shelf

Sorry meant to link to this post, where do you put your sticks if the seat is acting as a load shelf up against the seat post?

Tim B.

FNG
I use a lone wolf alpha 2 with hawk sticks, used the molle straps last year, was better than what lone wolf supplys but not the best

this year i ordered a 24" duplex frame and 22 mag bag, i usually walk in a mile to 2.5 miles, early season its not to bad, but when it gets cold carrying all the extra gear it wasn't that comfortable, i really like the "run N gun" style, last year i never sat in the same tree, some times same area but never the same tree

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’m an eastern hunter. I had an NRS Paragon Pack that I cut the back straps off of and attached to the bottom of my climbing stand just like a lot of guys do with the molle straps. The system was very convenient and worked great. I just left the harness attached to the stand when I climbed. However, I was never happy with my system for carrying water and extra clothes. I could never get my daypack attached where it didn’t flop around or just feel clunky.

At the end of last season, I found a deal on a MR nice frame that came with a hitchhiker 20. I’ve rigged that up to work like a lot of guys use the cabinet or mule. It’s less convenient because you have to remove the pack and frame before climbing, but it works much better as a pack for longer hikes in. I haven’t hunted with it yet, so my views may change, but after some testing I think it’s going to work better for me.

The new Hawk Helium Sticks use a versa button and have a suction cup attachment to keep sticks together.

I think they should be released in the next couple weeks. May 15th was the last date I was told but that was a awhile ago.

Alchemy

WKR
I use mystery ranch dragons layer pack with stand lashed on back, split 2 steps on both sides. Carry bow in hand. Works well...

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I use my MR Metcalf for this with an XOP air raid and it works great

For Whitetails I tend to carry as little as possible, and a western pack is always overkill for me. I use a amazon tactical backpack for my saddle set up but am just going to try a cheap military frame.