Safety redundancy, plans.

fwafwow

WKR
Stress testing of various professionals is mandated by various governing bodies because people lie to keep working. There is also local variability (the State I was a firefighter in did not require stress tests). It should not be confused with good preventative medicine.

You are correct that I'm not a cardiologist, though I did not call myself one.

As for preventative medicine, what information does a stress test in an asymptomatic and low risk patient give us that helps?

A stress test is a physiologic test of perfusion, it does not identify none perfusion limiting lesions (so certainly cannot be considered primary prevention), nor can it differentiate the cause of the lesion. The tests themselves are pretty low risk (about 1:10,000 will lead to hospitalization), but a false positive will likely lead to a left heart cath, which is higher risk.

Anyway, if you can provide data (not what cardiologists have done for your friends, I can go talk to one of the interventionalist I work with and get their input at any time), I will reconsider.
You are wasting your breath (and time). He got the hammer.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You are wasting your breath (and time). He got the hammer.
Thanks. I did not notice. Sorry for derailing the thread further.

Perhaps someone will find it useful.

I will go water a plant to thank it for replacing the oxygen I wasted. 😭🤣

TX_Diver

WKR
Tell your partner where your spare keys are or how they can get back into your truck...

Whether it's them going a different route and it making more sense to pick them up somewhere else, or your partner having an issue on the mountain it'd suck to be at the truck and not able to go anywhere or do anything...

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks. I did not notice. Sorry for derailing the thread further.

Perhaps someone will find it useful.

I will go water a plant to thank it for replacing the oxygen I wasted. 😭🤣
I think it was a positive tangent - no need to apologize (at least to me).

fwafwow

WKR
Tell your partner where your spare keys are or how they can get back into your truck...

Whether it's them going a different route and it making more sense to pick them up somewhere else, or your partner having an issue on the mountain it'd suck to be at the truck and not able to go anywhere or do anything...
+1 to this. And if your truck uses an electronic fob, I've been told that storing the spare (or primary) fob on the tire or otherwise too close to the truck can drain the fob battery and/or make it easy to open by someone else.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
My inreach contacts can also sign in to my OnX account. I tell them my general location and use the tracker function a lot. I also verbally run through scenarios with my wife and hunting buddies so they can guess what I may have done/will do in a given situation or vise versa. If I'm hunting in waders near deep water I always wear a life jacket AND a belt ever since the time I almost died in a slough retrieving a duck. Near water, at least one member of your party should have a life vest and there should be dry clothes nearby in case somebody takes a dive. Oh and I delete my internet search history before every trip. 😂

As a young buck hunting ducks with a slightly older fellow many years ago on the Dakota prairies, I took note that my hunting partner always told me his keys were in his left pocket.

Beendare

WKR
Tony, good awareness thread.

I didnt used to climb while teathered to the tree…now I do. I didnt used to do a lot of precautions when I was younger…..now in my 60’s, I do.

I do think a younger guy in top condition can physically overcome a lot of hazards without a bunch of backups.

As I've gotten older, I have started thinking about safety plans. I cut a ton of firewood and used to just cut by myself. I was a faller in my younger years, so know my way around saws and trees. In the last few years I have started taking my wife with me, basically so I'm not on the hill by myself. I've had to teach her how to unhook the trailer from my truck and how to drive a stick shift. She didn't want to know any of that, so I asked what are you going to do if something goes south? You need to know where keys are at , keep a constant inventory on your first aid kit and keep a running tally on phone checkpoints. One of the things I learned in logger first aid class, is know your location and don't waste time with calling an ambulance, get that chopper in the air. Which brings me to another point, if you aren't a member of one of the Life Flight plans, look into doing it.

Something kinda different, but.

Years ago I was at a convention with a friend, I say friend, it was work related, but we got to be close later, I'd actually travel to his place and hunt, he would come to mine (more than your normal days work to get between them).

Anyways, point being neither of us knew much about anyone else there, he turned to me and told me the password on his phone incase I'd need to open it to get in contact with his family for an emergency. At first it seemed weird, but after thinking about it made a lot of sense to me.

Probably something that if it's 2 people out together, be good to be able to use the others communication device if needed, like yours becomes inoperable for some reason.
This is a great idea.

Several years ago we were running a field trial, and one of the guys was from about 10 hours away, died on the course... Had his truck and 3 or 4 dogs.

In addition to the obvious stress, it was a nightmare. No one had any way to contact anyone that knew him. Sheriff couldn't leave the body until the coroner got there, coroner wouldn't come until we had a real name and some medical history...

I was way back in the wilderness a few years ago & things got real hairy late at night due to a bad injury & a grizz that probably wanted the elk we had just processed. The injured guy was basically immobile for a little while & laying right beside the carcass. I was the only one that had any way to communicate with base camp & the damn thing had enough battery to make about 5 texts before it died. It was a bit of a shit show mixed with several moments of WTF is gonna happen next.
So.... make sure to have more than 1 way to communicate, make sure the batteries are charged or carry a small power pack & share each other's contacts for the people who can actually do something to help you in that moment. That family member 2,000 miles away ain't gonna be much help. You don't wanna have to hit the SOS button other than as a last resort

I’m a big fan of point #4. In the Marines we used to say we were only as strong as our weakest teammate, and that no one was ever left behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Little tip with the inReach. Learned this from an incident involving a gal who went missing in the Beartooths two years ago.

She was doing a multi-day loop, with some peak bagging thrown in. Solo, but a lot of experience in the backcountry. She contacted her mother each evening to let her know that everything was OK. After two days of not hearing from here daughter she called the local Sheriff's office and they initiated a search. They used here last known location (call to her mother via inReach) to start, but it took a week (maybe longer) before they found her (sadly she had a really bad fall and was likely killed immediately).

They said if she had left her inReach on; not in tracking mode mind you- that sucks the life out of your batteries, just on- that takes almost no battery life away; they would have found her quickly.

Soooo.. after a couple of years of keeping my inReach off until I needed to send a message, I now leave it on and don't see much of any additional battery use.

CJohnson

WKR
In addition to everything stated above, I think just a general increase of your surroundings is the surest way to avoid an injury. I catch myself so often in day to day life just zoning out and mindlessly getting on my phone, whatever. Almost every close call or accident I’ve ever been in has been a result of lack of awareness. I can’t tell you how many duck hunts I’ve been on where someone will throw a loaded gun in the boat at the end of a hunt because no one took the time to say “hey guys did everyone clear their guns?” Or how many times I’ve been cruising through a river in freezing temps with no kill switch tied off or life jacket on just because I was too lazy to do either.

Now that I have a family I bug the crap out of everyone I hunt around. My buddy shot a nice 5x5 a couple of years ago and the first thing I asked him after he dropped it was “Is your rifle clear?”

Regarding the inreach, I think Cliff Gray has a good YouTube video on what actually happens when you punch the button and how helpful it is to take a few mins to enter some basic trip/party info into the garmin website before you leave.

tdoublev

FNG
Little tip with the inReach. Learned this from an incident involving a gal who went missing in the Beartooths two years ago.

She was doing a multi-day loop, with some peak bagging thrown in. Solo, but a lot of experience in the backcountry. She contacted her mother each evening to let her know that everything was OK. After two days of not hearing from here daughter she called the local Sheriff's office and they initiated a search. They used here last known location (call to her mother via inReach) to start, but it took a week (maybe longer) before they found her (sadly she had a really bad fall and was likely killed immediately).

They said if she had left her inReach on; not in tracking mode mind you- that sucks the life out of your batteries, just on- that takes almost no battery life away; they would have found her quickly.

Soooo.. after a couple of years of keeping my inReach off until I needed to send a message, I now leave it on and don't see much of any additional battery use.
Interesting. I just purchased an inreach mini and was testing it out. I definitely noticed the battery dies pretty quick with tracking on, even in half hour increments. This comment has me very intrigued. I’ve been keeping tracking on because I thought the bread crumb trail would be useful. Obviously the current location would be most useful, but if you fall into a canyon, your device is probably never going to find the satellite from there. Were they advising not to leave bread crumbs to preserve battery? My thought process is if you become immobile and can still reach the satellites, you’ll be leaving multiple bread crumbs in the same spot until the device dies which would be a sure indicator to S&R. If you’re somewhere where the device can’t reach the satellites, you’re SOL either way but at least they would know the general vicinity from the last waypoint.

I’m probably reading into the context wrong.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tracking always on is the safest bet, but the fastest at eating batteries. Having it on and not tracking, still lets them "ping" the device and saves battery life. Having the device off is the worse bet; that's the way I was using it for a couple of years :(

If you have buddies a field, they can ping your device (or vice versa0 to get a location- w/ the device(s) on. Can also be used to find a lost device (if on).

Lowg08

WKR
I use my tracker allot and my son can open onX because we use just my account and watch where I’m going. I always have a time and place I should be back by and check in on the regular. Ever since I broke my leg 100 away from the truck by myself with no phone. I am kinda gun shy about getting hurt and no way to contact some one. I even carry a battery pack with me and the stuff to make it over night.

dtrkyman

WKR
I probably should get a satellite device.

I logged into my onX account in my wife’s computer and show her where I will be on the map.

Also give her a day and time that if she hasn’t heard from me yet there is a problem!

Put in text so there is no confusion also.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I probably should get a satellite device.

I logged into my onX account in my wife’s computer and show her where I will be on the map.

Also give her a day and time that if she hasn’t heard from me yet there is a problem!

Put in text so there is no confusion also.

I finally did. Two things that made do it was the situation that led me to make this thread. In an area with good cell reception on the ridge but someone climbing the face fell and was hit by a rock. Their partner bushwhacked back to a paved road to call for help. A similar sos at the scene could make a difference (don’t know the whole story so maybe they did both). The other reason is it takes longer than expected for SAR to mobilize. That’s not a dig at them it’s simply time consuming to gather people and intel to plan a rescue. Also during this event flight for life circled for a while looking for a person wearing grey in a scree field.
IMG_7466.jpeg