Savage 110 ultralight (proof barrel)

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine in a couple weeks ago. Had a heck of a time finding a base for it, finally have the right one coming in the mail. Still unsure how I feel about the rifle. Can’t wait to get the scope mounted and put some rounds through.
Is the bottom metal and magazine plastic or metal?

Fshnpole

FNG
I took it apart and checked torque. If I remember correctly manual says 40 inch pound. I had no problems setting it to that.

Got mine in a couple weeks ago. Had a heck of a time finding a base for it, finally have the right one coming in the mail. Still unsure how I feel about the rifle. Can’t wait to get the scope mounted and put some rounds through.
I'm still waiting on my PRC to come in. I do have a question on the bolt. Is it smooth, sloppy or rough?

Last edited:

gleason51

Lil-Rokslider
What base did you end up getting? I think I’m going to go with the Evolution Gun Works HD that’s drilled for the #8 screws already. I’ve had great luck with EGW products.

Fshnpole

FNG
I really wanted to try out the leupold backcountry but didn't realize the #8 screws on the savage. I looked at the egw but didnt like how it extended past in the front (just my personal preference). I went with leupold mark 4. Its a tad heavier being steel instead of aluminum but it will have to do.

Fshnpole

FNG
I would not call the bolt smooth. Bolt lift is substantial and bolt is kinda gritty and even when closed has some play in it.

Savage bottom plastic has metal inserts to prevent this from happening.
Quick follow up question. Is there a model number on the magazine? Savage told me that they use the Axis magazines but failed to tell me which one.

My 6.5 PRC finally shipped today. Been a long wait and hopefully it was worth it.

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
Quick follow up question. Is there a model number on the magazine? Savage told me that they use the Axis magazines but failed to tell me which one.

My 6.5 PRC finally shipped today. Been a long wait and hopefully it was worth it.
What is your initial thoughts on the gun before shooting? I have a 308 coming on Wednesday and I can’t wait to put my hands on it.

What is your initial thoughts on the gun before shooting? I have a 308 coming on Wednesday and I can’t wait to put my hands on it.
It should arrive on Monday, April 20. Am chomping at the bit to get my hands on it. However, I personally won't be shooting it for awhile as I will be dropping it off for load development next weekend. Now I have to figure out which scope to run.

Fshnpole

FNG
Well have put a few rounds through the 308. Started with 150 and 180 gr power point just cause I had them laying around those didnt shoot all that great. Today went with 168 gr barnes tsx in remington htp factory ammo (left) and 168 gr berger hybrid hunters in federal premium (right). 5 shot groups just under 100 yds. Tried a couple different torque specs on action screws 40 in lb seem to be best for me. With some more time should be able to tighten the groups up some more I imagine.

Attachments

• 279FD675-D09C-49B7-8A58-DEDC4F0D27DE.jpeg
    279FD675-D09C-49B7-8A58-DEDC4F0D27DE.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 73741F9E-97D1-4A49-A41C-7C715444F7F4.jpeg
    73741F9E-97D1-4A49-A41C-7C715444F7F4.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 182
I got mine in but have not shot it as it will be dropped off for load development tomorrow.

* It came in at 6 pounds 2.5 ounces so a bit heavier than advertised.
* The bolt action is a bit rough but working the bolt repeatedly is helping. Out of the box it is better than when I got my Savage Lightweight Hunter whose bolt action was "sloppy". It is not that big of a deal to me as I've had no issues taking shots.

bigdub257

Lil-Rokslider
I really wanted to try out the leupold backcountry but didn't realize the #8 screws on the savage. I looked at the egw but didnt like how it extended past in the front (just my personal preference). I went with leupold mark 4. Its a tad heavier being steel instead of aluminum but it will have to do.
20 MOA?