Scam?

I agree it looks like a scam by the wording, but I dont think Ive ever spoken to anyone on here, and Im not sure I would and Ive done hundreds of all perfect transactions. Personal preference not wanting to give out a ph number, etc. Maybe I would if the member had a good bit of positive feedback. I think I can tell enough by that response to not want a phone call and just move along. Usually you can tell enough from IM and text to know to steer another direction.

People need to start leaving feedback more consistently though. And Im guilty of not doing it myself. I have I think 44 positive feedback and Ive done probably 4-5x as many transactions.

OP
Jake Larsen
This is going to get harder to verify by comments with AI. I can know nothing about something, run to ChatGPT and have it write 5 paragraphs for me. I post it, it looks like I wrote it.

I PMd you some suggestions before I would purchase it.

Your not looking for a unicorn of a scope, I would find someone more creditable.

Good point on the chat GPT. Hadn’t considered that. Thanks - I’m definitely not going to buy. That is some impressive photoshop on the photo though. I zoomed in super close and looked at all the edges, it’s clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jake Larsen
I agree it looks like a scam by the wording, but I dont think Ive ever spoken to anyone on here, and Im not sure I would and Ive done hundreds of all perfect transactions. Personal preference not wanting to give out a ph number, etc. Maybe I would if the member had a good bit of positive feedback. I think I can tell enough by that response to not want a phone call and just move along. Usually you can tell enough from IM and text to know to steer another direction.

People need to start leaving feedback more consistently though. And Im guilty of not doing it myself. I have I think 44 positive feedback and Ive done probably 4-5x as many.

I’ve talked to tons of members on the phone. Made some good buddies from buying/selling that I keep In touch with often. Even if it’s not a preference, seems odd he wouldn’t take a 30 second call to verify the sale of a $1500 dollar item

Again, the person has been a member here for a year, with no posts, then all of a sudden has 21 posts in 2 weeks? Probably hacked someone's account that is no longer here. Run Forest Run !!

OP
Jake Larsen
Definitely a scammer. I pushed a little and things became very obvious. I don’t want to post up the responses, because these guys watch and learn I’m sure. FWIW I will never buy something (especially expensive) on here without taking a phone call from now on. He almost had me…the first several dms/texts interactions back and forth were flawless. These guys are getting way better, be cautious everyone.

Flyjunky

WKR
Good point on the chat GPT. Hadn’t considered that. Thanks - I’m definitely not going to buy. That is some impressive photoshop on the photo though. I zoomed in super close and looked at all the edges, it’s clean.

That’s super easy to do in photoshop, take about 5 minutes.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Definitely a scammer. I pushed a little and things became very obvious. I don’t want to post up the responses, because these guys watch and learn I’m sure. FWIW I will never buy something (especially expensive) on here without taking a phone call from now on. He almost had me…the first several dms/texts interactions back and forth were flawless. These guys are getting way better, be cautious everyone.

Video chat is also a good option.

IMO, all of these requests for F&F transfers or + 3% needs to end. The norm should be the business/purchase transfer so the buyer is protected, and the seller should factor that into the asking price.

OP
Jake Larsen

IMO, all of these requests for F&F transfers or + 3% needs to end. The norm should be the business/purchase transfer so the buyer is protected, and the seller should factor that into the asking price.

Problem now is PayPal will 1099 you for G&S. Big brother already gets enough.

Could maybe keep a P&L spreadsheet for every single purchase and show resale items as a loss. But that’s not a small amount of work

CorbLand

WKR

People need to understand that there is risk in buying used items on the internet. Nothing wrong with wanting it F&F. If you as the buyer dont want the risk of doing F&F, dont pay F&F.

I bought something the other day from a long standing member but he didnt have a ton of posts or feedback. I paid the fees for him. I have also bought things F&F. Protecting yourself is all you can do.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't handle the classifieds but saw this pop up and somehow we missed banning this guy. I just did. @Jake Larsen did you reach out to any mods (besides me)? Just can't believe this guy wasn't banned.

is now.

blkqi

WKR
People need to understand that there is risk in buying used items on the internet. Nothing wrong with wanting it F&F. If you as the buyer dont want the risk of doing F&F, dont pay F&F.
Not to mention that riflescopes may or may not be considered a restricted item under PayPal's use policy. In which case G&S will do nothing for the buyer and may get the seller's account closed.

OP
Jake Larsen
Not to mention that riflescopes may or may not be considered a restricted item under PayPal's use policy. In which case G&S will do nothing for the buyer and may get the seller's account closed.

I try to avoid using PayPal at all for that very reason. They’ve made their stance very clear on people like us

OP
Jake Larsen
I don't handle the classifieds but saw this pop up and somehow we missed banning this guy. I just did. @Jake Larsen did you reach out to any mods (besides me)? Just can't believe this guy wasn't banned.

is now.

This all happened very quickly this morning. I was about to DM you when CorbLand @all of the mods. Originally wanted to start with seeing if someone could vouch for the guy, because i wasn’t sure if he was a scammer at first.