Scarpa Ribelle HD - First Impressions

Mudd Foot

WKR
Not sure what easy on the Achilles means; having owed both the Ribelle HD’s and the Charmoz, the Charmoz would be my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon98

FNG
Thanks ... since last using my current winter boots nearly three years ago I have got a permanent tendonitis on one side, even before that wearing those boots all day sometimes would be very uncomfortable on the Achilles. Will look into Charmoz.

OP
L
I'm looking for a boot that can take C1 crampons that is easy on the Achilles, reading reviews this seems to be a good option. Does anyone with Achilles issues have any experience with these. (Mammut Kento is another option but sounds like poor grip on the sole). Thanks.
I've had achilles tendonitis for the past 2 years and as much as I love the Ribelle's because it holds my heel in better than any other boot, my Achilles do seem to get a touch aggravated.

After a little more rehab on my Achilles I did try the Ribelle again this past season for a couple hikes. When slow hunting off trail in the timber, I really like the support and didn't notice any issues. Walking on the harder packed trail or faster pace is when I have been noticing my tendonitis.

I've been running the Scarpa Zodiac Plus GTX instead which has been easier but don't think they're C1 crampon compatible. The Zodiac Tech's had an even more vertical heel element so maybe no problem for the Achilles, but my heel just moved too much in them so I returned them.

Seems like a catch-22 in that the boots that would hold my heel in less have less pressure on the Achilles.

Good luck as I feel your pain!

OP
L
Ok, for those who love the Ribelle HD, who'll be the first to test out the Ribelle Lite HD ??

Spoonman

WKR
Ok, for those who love the Ribelle HD, who'll be the first to test out the Ribelle Lite HD ??

Look good. Glad they stuck with the Hdry.

It’s about time they released them in North America. They have been out for a couple years atleast in Europe. If you do some searches, you can find some reviews from over there. I may try out a pair when they are in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L
FYI - For any who've been considering the Ribelle HD, looks like they're on sale a few places at a big discount from about $350 to $287. Saw REI and Backcountry advertise this so may be others soo.

Braaap

WKR
I bought a pair of Ribelle HD boots last year and finally decided that they don’t work for me. I love the fit of my Zodiac plus boots but wanted a more heavy duty boot so I contacted Scarpa and it turns out the Ribelle is based on a different last and has a different fit than Zodiac boots. Below is the response I received from Scarpa.

“Thank you so much for reaching out. The Zodiac Tech and Zodiac Plus are formed from the same last, BZH, so they will have the same fit! The Ribelle uses a different last than the Zodiac line, and is a littler higher volume in both the forefoot and the midfoot.”

The issue I have with the Ribelle is volume so this made perfect sense. I bought a pair of Zodiac Tech’s to replace the Ribelle and they’re perfect. I have a low volume foot but like a wide toe box and the Zodiac line is the best I’ve found for me.

Hopefully this helps anyone considering these two boots.