Scarpa Ribelle HD - First Impressions

Spoonman

WKR
Any additional feedback on the Ribelle’s performance post-hunt? Any heavy loads encountered? Am looking to understand how these many compare to Charmoz, Tibet’s, Ranger IIIs under pack-out loads if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Packed a bear out last year as well as a elk. Still my favorite boot to wear in the field and still comfortable enough to wear around town.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
Any additional feedback on the Ribelle’s performance post-hunt? Any heavy loads encountered? Am looking to understand how these many compare to Charmoz, Tibet’s, Ranger IIIs under pack-out loads if at all possible.

I used them all during my November hunt. I can say that I do love the boots. No blisters and no leaks. I was in a bit of snow a lot of the season as well. I did add some insoles just to try them out. I should be putting more miles on them for coyotes here soon.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Great. Could either of you comment whether the sole flexed under heavy loads or steep rocky climbs?

Sorry to be a PITA, but I got burned buying a pair of boots that claim to be a four out of five on the stiffness scale only to find out they were more like a 2 1/2 when compared to mountaineering boots.

Thanks,

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
I really liked the Ribelle when I tied them on but needed a 1/2" size bigger and could never find them in stock. I ended up with the Kuiu Scarpa Evo K-8, fit and stiffness felt the same as the Ribelle to me and they also have HDry vs Gore-Tex which is something I wanted to try. Just mentioning the Kuiu as another option.

Spoonman

WKR
Great. Could either of you comment whether the sole flexed under heavy loads or steep rocky climbs?

Sorry to be a PITA, but I got burned buying a pair of boots that claim to be a four out of five on the stiffness scale only to find out they were more like a 2 1/2 when compared to mountaineering boots.

Thanks,

Yes there was some flex under load but very little. This is another hard thing to take into consideration from another person as one may think a boot is stiff and another may think it’s flexible. But a pair and out in a pack and give em a try, if they aren’t what you like then send em back.

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. Is the Kuiu EVO the Zodiac?

No, its it own boot. I believe it was a EU model that we never got in the US and Kuiu made a few minor changes and slapped their logo and colorway on it.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t say that noticed any flex when I packed out my mule deer but if there was, it was very little like another member mentioned. The rocker shape is amazing as well when on flat ground.

Mudd Foot

WKR
b82ed3868b6b7e69147d4e987b2218f7.jpg

Anticipation....

Mudd Foot

WKR
Received the Ribelle HDs today. The sole/shank is virtually the same stiffness as that of the Charmoz. The forefoot rocker has about 2° steeper rocker as mentioned previously. Definitely facilitates rolling the foot forward. The Ribelle exterior sole and heal are slightly narrower than the Charmoz.

The upper of the Charmoz is stiffer than the Ribelle. The suede flexes on the Ribelle whereas the I do not discern any flexing in the upper of the Charmoz. As a result the Charmoz feel locked in place while there is some give across the upper of the Ribelle.

The last across the ball of the foot is wider on the Ribelle. It feels about a D in width versus the perceived C in the Charmoz. There is also greater volume top to bottom across the ball of the foot in the Ribelle.

The Size 46 Ribelle are too large and are being sent back for a 45.5. By comparison, my Charmoz are 46, and I run them without a footbed. In this configuration they fit like my feet were dipped in them. This is great for climbing steep terrain, but blister makers for the 5 mile trail walk in and out.

My feet are virtually flat, low volume across ball while being D-E in width and wide heals.
Am thinking the Ribelle are hunting unicorn boot of sorts for my Colorado terrain and foot anatomy needs. Crampon compatible stiff, while flexing across the upper. Fwiw, have used Lowa Rangers and Tibets, Crispi Colorados, and Charmoz.

Black Ovid was outstanding in their customer service as usual.

MojoTX

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the Ribelle’s 1 season. I’m no boot aficionado, but they are nice.

My only problem is that they are squeaky as hell! Anybody else having this issue?

I’m thinking they may need to be cleaned/treated. What are you guys using?

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the Ribelle’s 1 season. I’m no boot aficionado, but they are nice.

My only problem is that they are squeaky as hell! Anybody else having this issue?

I’m thinking they may need to be cleaned/treated. What are you guys using?
Mine were the same way, after more time and a couple cleanings they are quite as can be. They were also only used for last season so far.

I've had my Ribelles for almost exactly a year now, and have been super happy with them. I recently encountered a strange quality issue in which the inside lining at the heel completely degenerated on both sides all of the sudden. Photos attached. Scarpa did an excellent job on the CS side - they were actually out of the boots but were able to pull a pair from an in-process order to one of their dealers so I could have my boots before a planned trip later this month. I received the replacement pair today.
Anyway, as far as stiffness goes, it's important to remember that boots can be stiff in any of three ways - the shank can fold like a hot dog, like a hamburger, or it can twist. No lack of love for GoHunt, but it's impossible to communicate all that in a single "stiffness" number.

In my experience, these boots have excellent stiffness in the hot dog and twisting modes, and just a touch of flexibility in the hamburger mode (i.e., there is just a little flex under the ball of your foot when standing on your toes). That said - these are proper mountaineering-stiff boots and toe-pointing up ice with crampons is easily doable.

They are BOMBER waterproof. I've never owned a boot that keeps my feet dry through an all-day session on slushy melting snow, but these do the job just fine.

I did not notice any flex when packing about a bear last fall, ~4 miles with a (measured) 92lb pack over complex terrain in Glacier Peak Wilderness (photo below)

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpg
    IMG_3991.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3992.jpg
    IMG_3992.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3994.jpg
    IMG_3994.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    534.5 KB · Views: 54

Simon98

FNG
I'm looking for a boot that can take C1 crampons that is easy on the Achilles, reading reviews this seems to be a good option. Does anyone with Achilles issues have any experience with these. (Mammut Kento is another option but sounds like poor grip on the sole). Thanks.