Schnee’s Quality Control Issues?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For sure, and totally understand your point and that would really suck. If I said it's never happen before, i'd be lying. But it is exceptionally rare. The vast majority of guides, outfitters, etc.. that use our boots and beat on them every day, in some insane conditions and terrain, without issue. But, it is just a fact of life that a product of any kind can experience a failure anywhere, at any time. We do our best to ensure it doesn't happen, but nobody bats 1000 and in the end, we just believe in standing behind our products and providing the best customer service in the industry if it does happen.

I gotta say, i love these threads, the feedback and discussion. No brand or company is perfect, and stuff like this helps us all do better going forward.

- Matt
Thanks for the reply, I might just pick up some of those stiff version of your granites.

Buzby

WKR
that sounds very strange. shoot me an email. Would like to know more, maybe get some pics. - matt
I had this same issue with 3 out of 4 pairs of timberlines before I got a good pair.

Attachments

• E7E90DC1-F2E2-4AE8-89A7-6492B30B0996.jpeg
    E7E90DC1-F2E2-4AE8-89A7-6492B30B0996.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 31F949FE-F0E4-4CB8-8B33-C7EB8005488E.jpeg
    31F949FE-F0E4-4CB8-8B33-C7EB8005488E.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 72
  • FFB8A566-FD85-4C9A-A830-1C30F634A8DE.jpeg
    FFB8A566-FD85-4C9A-A830-1C30F634A8DE.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 73

UncleBone

WKR
I had the exact same issue with my size 12 kenetrek mtn extremes. I went to scheels and looked at brand new pairs, and sure enough, it is there on them size 11.5 and larger. seems to me that they didnt move the bottom hardware down far enough on the footbox, or maybe just used too much material. Im not entirely sure, but they warrantied them on the spot. I know Schnees and kenetreks are similar in design for a lot of their boots. Glad to see schnees addressing the issue!

Last edited:

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had this same issue with 3 out of 4 pairs of timberlines before I got a good pair.

That is so weird. I did get your emailed pic and have forwarded them on to our manufacturing mgr, president and owner... we will definitley figure it out!

thanks - matt

I almost wonder if it’s supposed to be like that. The liner/membrane being detached in those spots maybe makes it flex less and wear out slower.

Buzby

WKR
I almost wonder if it’s supposed to be like that. The liner/membrane being detached in those spots maybe makes it flex less and wear out slower.
I hope not. It was quite noticeable while wearing them. A complete deal breaker for me, until I got a pair without the wrinkles.

Buzby

WKR
That is so weird. I did get your emailed pic and have forwarded them on to our manufacturing mgr, president and owner... we will definitley figure it out!

thanks - matt
Again, Schnee’s customer service was outstanding during the whole process! Didn’t cost me anything other than time, trying them and returning them. The last pair have been excellent for me. I’d just like to see a bit better QC on a boot in this price range.

I sent my Beartooth and Timberline back due to the wrinkles and creases in the toe box. The Timberline were worse. I love the boots but I was getting blisters on top of my toes from them.

Contacted them got a fast reply from Cody to send them back. I paid for shipping. Got then back about 2 weeks later, both laced up. Felt the toe box nothing changed. So I emailed Cody and he responded very quickly that they expanded the toe box and hopefully that would fix the issue. He said if it didn't they would get me a new pair. Fast customer service, but not sure on what they did.

Does this work????? Not sure how that would fix sagging material.

Sickforit

FNG
Not sure on this, but I suspect that a lot of the issues (outside of the obvious “failures”, boots falling apart prematurely)……but I truly think it comes down to two things when you’re dealing with a boot of this quality. The issue to me are either…
1. A fit issue.
2. Issues for guys that don’t live in boots. I wear a cowboy boot 7 days a week, with the exception of dedicated “hunting days”, that were predetermined enough to plan. I don’t guide anymore, but even 10 years guiding in the Gila, I’d say 40% of that might have been done in just cowboy boots. Even the boots most of us guided in were more along the lines of danner, Irish setter, whites, etc……with the odd Kenetrek thrown in.

I think if a guy gets a well built boot, that fits snug enough, if you cover enough miles, they’re just fine. Schnees are awesome, and my choice these days. I’ve noticed a lot of guys can literally tell you how many miles they have one they’re boots…..I couldn’t tell you how many I might log in them in a week or ranching, but I know it’s a lot more that what I hear some men say they have on a hunting boot. Don’t know if this makes sense, but I think the issues are generally fit, or not used to logging enough miles in boots regularly, outside of getting ready for a hunt. Agree or not, it didn’t cost you anything

Buzby

WKR
Not sure on this, but I suspect that a lot of the issues (outside of the obvious “failures”, boots falling apart prematurely)……but I truly think it comes down to two things when you’re dealing with a boot of this quality. The issue to me are either…
1. A fit issue.
2. Issues for guys that don’t live in boots. I wear a cowboy boot 7 days a week, with the exception of dedicated “hunting days”, that were predetermined enough to plan. I don’t guide anymore, but even 10 years guiding in the Gila, I’d say 40% of that might have been done in just cowboy boots. Even the boots most of us guided in were more along the lines of danner, Irish setter, whites, etc……with the odd Kenetrek thrown in.

I think if a guy gets a well built boot, that fits snug enough, if you cover enough miles, they’re just fine. Schnees are awesome, and my choice these days. I’ve noticed a lot of guys can literally tell you how many miles they have one they’re boots…..I couldn’t tell you how many I might log in them in a week or ranching, but I know it’s a lot more that what I hear some men say they have on a hunting boot. Don’t know if this makes sense, but I think the issues are generally fit, or not used to logging enough miles in boots regularly, outside of getting ready for a hunt. Agree or not, it didn’t cost you anything
I can’t speak for the other people, but I can assure you between construction work, and military, I have plenty of time and miles in boots. None in cowboy boots though, all in lace up, like schnees are. Most of the others have probably worn footwear of some sort most of their lives. Any shoes, boots, sandals, etc, I’ve ever worn that was a seam or something across the toes are not comfortable. I can’t see how a wrinkled liner is a fit issue.

CRJR45

WKR
This thread came up and I'm wearing my new Timberline boots,.....and I couldn't be happier with them . Fit great right out of the box , wore them around the house the first day , drove the dog nuts , he followed me everywhere , then I wore them to work . I have a pair of Granites coming Tuesday .

Update on mine from April. I originally had a pair of Timberlines and Beartooth. So after getting my original pair back, about a week later 2 new pair of Timberlines show up?
So I called Cody and he said well if you like them keep them. Never asked me to send the old pairs back. I did send them back!

The new boots have the different roller eyelets which I like better. The new pairs did not have the creases in the toe box. Been wearing 1 pair 12 hours per day for at least 2 weeks at a construction site and they feel great!!!!

I did replace the insoles with Super Feet Max Hike, I think the old name was Adapt Hike Max. Made them even more comfortable, better arch and heel fit.

Sickforit

FNG
I love my Divides, hate that they were discontinued. Really like a lot about the Timberline but not crazy about 9/10” boots

Funny, I bought a set of Beartooths and had the same rub on the toe from the bottom lace eyelet. Looked lopsided on the rub spot, like a manufacturer issue. Returned those and the second set had the wrinkle/too much fabric in the toe box, then after 50 miles they developed a crease that caused crazy pain in my big toe. Gave up after that. Really frustrating because you wish you’d have better luck with expensive boots.

My Timberlines are going on 2+ years. Just a hunting/hiking boot, not an everyday boot but at least 150 days of use. Had some minor issues with my pinky toe but the surgeon's lace fixed that.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I sure hope I have the same experience. Bought a pair of Kestrels in may and love them. Took them elk hunting in Oregon and they leaked like nothing I have ever worn. Called and they said bring them in (I’m heading up next week), and they will test them. Well, I don’t need a test, my feet were soaked, even with gaiters, and even after coating them with nikwax treatment. And soaked from the bottom up, the cork footbeds were saturated ON THE BOTTOM.