School me on arrow rests

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still rocking a whisker Biscuit on my Mathews Q2. It’s accurate but refletching arrows is getting old as I’m putting in way more practice that I have in previous years.

What’s everyone using now? Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Wellsdw

WKR
Limb driven= easy setup fall away. Minimal timing. Field repairable. Trophy takers, hamskea (best imo), limb driver

Cable driven= qad, rip cords. Little more complicated set up. Timing is key. However Arrow can be stored in a loaded(cocked) position. Which is a big deal for some.

Both systems are utilized by awesome shooters.
Personally I like the hamskea hybrids. (Which can actually be set up either way. Although most would set it as limbdriven.)
Whisker biscuit is simple, but can effect arrow flight. Has the best name of all rest as well.

I love QAD drop away rests. Can be left locked, and can be repaired. I now run QAD HDX. I am unsure of the newer Ripcords, but the older ones had to be replaced if something happened to the cord.

I can tell you this story: Years ago I ran a super fast bow with an overdraw and a high tech rest that was perfectly paper tuned. We were on a hunt. I slipped climbing a rock wall and fell. My bow hit the rock. The overdraw was knocked out of position. The old timer I was hunting with had spent hours helping me tune that rest. He smiled. Then said that's why I run a simple rest. I was done hunting that trip. When we got home I took the overdraw off and went back to a simple rest. So as far as the Whisker Biscuit goes- it's simple and can take a beating. Find the rest that works with your hunting style.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Hamskea all the way. In my opinion there isn’t a better made or designed rest in the marked. AAE and smackdown are the next step down. And I always take the .5 oz weight penalty by always packing 24” of D loop material, a lighter, peep, and basic field bow repair kit. To protect my bow I run a neoprene bow sling but I cut off the shoulder strap. That way my cams and string are protected.

sc88

FNG
I currently use the AAE Pro Drop on my Prime CT3. It is a cable or limb activated fall-a-way rest.

OP
M

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Intended use is mostly stand hunting, I've got plans to do some spot stalk out west but that trip isn't until 2020. I've been running this same setup for almost 15 years and in my quest to achieve a greater maximum effective range my whisker biscuit is eating fletchings at an alarming rate. This combined with reading that it can effect arrow flight especially when reaching past the 20-30 I have always considered my max means its finally time for an upgrade.

Its just been hard to make changes to a setup that has proven deadly to a whole lot of Midwest whitetails.

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
Heard a lota good about hamskea. I run a vaportrail limbdriver pro v and love it. Would def go with limbdriven

I run the Hamskea Hybrid as well and really enjoy it. Been really reliable even after getting banged around.

87TT

WKR
I've been able to shoot out to 120 with the drop away and shoot 100 everyday unless it's windy. Couldn't do that with the old biscuit. Wasn't too bad out to 40 or 50 but started getting inconsistent after that.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
The Hamskea seems to be the hotness right now and all the cool kids are shooting it.

I ran a Ripcord code red for 8 years and never had a problem with it. This year I switched to the Ripcord Max. The max is super easy to replace the cord if you ever need too versus the code red.

I like how it holds my arrow during a stalk more then any of the other options that have a much larger opening and let the arrow bang around more.

Most of them are really well made and work good, it is just a matter of what options are most important to you.

jmez

WKR
I use a Hamskea. Been using the same Versa Rest for 10 years or so. Only thing I have done to it is take it off old bow and put it on a new one. They are pretty much bombproof. I've used Trophy Taker, Limb Driver and Hamskea. The Hamskea is in a class by itself compared to those two.

Prior to the Hamskea I used Limb Drivers. I had two springs fail and broke a cage off of another one, my brother also had a spring fail. They work well but are not the most durable rest out there. Night and day difference in build quality from the Hamskea.

I haven't used a QAD but the numbers speak for themselves. I've set one up on my brothers bow and it wasn't the great engineering experiment that most make it out to be on the internet. I read the instructions on the package, watched a YouTube video and was done in 5 minutes. He hasn't had any problems with it. It is also not as well built as the Versa Rest.

Kind of like bows these days, there are a lot of good options out there. As far as over all build quality and durability the Hamskea Versa Rest is at the top. I have not seen or handled the Trinity Series but would guess it is more in line with other brands in the build department.

I like limbdriven because of the simplicity and it doesn't put any tension on the cables. It can be repaired in the field with a shoelace if needed by someone with 0 technical knowledge. If you can tie a knot you can fix it. A cable drive model, depending on how you attach may require you to split the cables and do some serving, not hard for me but can be for guys that don't work on their bows.

The limbdriven rests don't contain the arrow as well as some of the cable driven models. They can't be locked in the up position. The arrow stays within the rest and the arm will pick it up but you can't lock it up. That said, it can't ever get stuck in the up position. If the string is tied to the limb the rest will drop.

Figure out which features are most important to you and then decide from there. Pros and cons to all of them.

KHNC

WKR
I USED to run trophy taker before the business was sold. Switched to Hamskea Hybrid two years ago. Love it! The limb driven rests are superior IMO.

QAD HDX. Have never had a problem with it. Have been shooting QAD rests for a long time. See no reason to change at this point.

92python

FNG
Ive owned a couple trophy takers (shakey hunter microadjust and a cheaper pronghorn), a G5 expert 2 and a newer HHA. They all worked well. Even though the shakey hunter isn't full containment I might like that one the best because the adjustments are really easy. I think most of these rests are solid and while the full containment isn't necessary - you may light that best as you already shoot a full containment rest.

Rikkar

FNG
I'm using the Schaffer XV arrow rest. Cable driven, locks up nice and tight with the push of a button. I'm really sold on it.