School me on lightweight knives (for quartering game in the field)

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a "knife" forum here, knowing how so many hunters are also "knife guys."

I am not really a "knife guy." I just look at them as tools and have never really spent more than maybe $40 on a single knife in my life. That said, I'm in a position now to afford a good knife, and I just don't know where to look. There are so many options it's pretty confusing.

I like small and light, and I know if a knife can hold an edge, you can use a pretty small knife to quarter out even a large elk. I did just that a couple years ago, using a 3" folding Gerber to quarter (gutless) my buddy's 6x6 bull, cape it and remove the head/antlers. That folding Gerber has been through a lot of critters. But I usually have to sharpen it at least once during a quartering job (deer) and on that bull elk I think I sharpened it at least 4x.

I would like to find a good fixed blade that holds it's edge well enough that I could expect to get through a whole deer without having to resharpen it.

I know these things can get crazy expensive, but I'm not willing to spend more than $150. Resharpening a knife mid-critter isn't that big a deal, but I would like to get away from the folder if I can.

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate the knowledge and experience on this forum.

I keep a ultralight fixed blade and a kestrel mountain scalpel in my kill kit.

Skeletonized ultralight knives are nice. I’ve used a benchmade altitude and a tyto fannin. More recently I picked up an Argali Col. Really like the blade shape and s35vn on that one. Out of those 3, I’d be fully confident in any of them. I have the Col in my kill kit now. It’s a touch smaller and more maneuverable than the other 2 but for my hands that blade profile is perfect.

The Col weighs 1oz. It takes up almost no space so I keep it in my kit because why not. Taking a redundant fixed blade is sacrilege to the weight police, But it’s essentially a backup blade and weighs just slightly more than air.

All that said, I’m taking my Benchmade Steep Country Hunter gen 1 wherever I hunt. Its the best knife I’ve ever used. And it’s not close.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I have not used one but Iron will just came out with a couple knives, A2 steel and 125$

They are known for high quality broadheads, worth a look at 1oz!
Just looked it over. Yea, that's pretty close to what I was imagining. I'm not sure about the sharpened top edge (prolly cut myself) but maybe it's not a big issue. Definitely a contender. Thanks for letting me know about them.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Not a fixed blade, but it is hard to beat a Havalon. I tried a different knife on my last antelope and came crawling back with my tail between my legs. If you get one buy some of the plastic blade removers. They are money.
I bet I've looked at the Havalon's 50 times, but I just can't bite. Not sure why. I really would like a good quality fixed blade I can hand down to a grandkid someday.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I keep a ultralight fixed blade and a kestrel mountain scalpel in my kill kit.

Skeletonized ultralight knives are nice. I’ve used a benchmade altitude and a tyto fannin. More recently I picked up an Argali Col. Really like the blade shape and s35vn on that one. Out of those 3, I’d be fully confident in any of them. I have the Col in my kill kit now. It’s a touch smaller and more maneuverable than the other 2 but for my hands that blade profile is perfect.

The Col weighs 1oz. It takes up almost no space so I keep it in my kit because why not. Taking a redundant fixed blade is sacrilege to the weight police, But it’s essentially a backup blade and weighs just slightly more that air.

All that said, I’m taking my Benchmade Steep Country Hunter gen 1 wherever I hunt. Its the best knife I’ve ever used. I will probably request that the damn thing is buried with me.
Thank you. I'll look them all over.

rclouse79

WKR
I bet I've looked at the Havalon's 50 times, but I just can't bite. Not sure why. I really would like a good quality fixed blade I can hand down to a grandkid someday.
I might hand my havalon down to my grandkids. I can't believe I haven't lost my original yet and it is still going strong. Blaze orange helps. I just bought the havalon talon for at home butchering and fish cleaning. I am impressed with how solid it feels and the 5 inch fillet blade made short work of a dozen fatty perch.

archp625

WKR
If you are wanted a really nice knife that is a fixed blade look at the kestrel Ovis. My brother bought one last year and used it on his mule deer. I was impressed

If you want light weight and a replaceable blade knife look into the Tyto 1.1. I picked one up last year. I had never had a replaceable blade k ice but wanted light and something g I didn’t have to sharpen. I did 1.5 mule deer with one blade before I decided I needed a sharper blade.

kda082

WKR
I have a Gerber with gut hook, buck knife, and Havalon. I start my cut with the Gerber when field dressing but when quartering up at home and breasting geese I always end up with the little Havalon. The blade on it now has 2 deer and I don’t know how many snows, canadas, ducks.

MattB

WKR
As much as the Havalon does not fit your requirements, they are tough to beat. And inexpensive as well. I have a few nice knives (Doziers) but almost never carry them anymore.

LostArra

WKR
Get six Little Vicki's for under $40. If you get orange handles you might only need 1. I bagged up a cow elk (gutless but did retrieve heart) just to prove a point to my hunting buds. No whining necessary if you lose it. Weighs less than your toothbrush

T28w

WKR
I think u would be happy with a slew of knives honestly. I really think that the steep country by benchmade is a hard thing to beat for the price.
I have a saddle mountain skinner and a hidden canyon skinner. The steep country fits nicely between those and is a good knife for the money. Again, I think u could be extremely happy with a lot of knives unless u are looking for something specific like weight or steel. Benchmade s30v is a good blade.

RS3579

WKR
I use a Case knife, also makes Zippo lighters. Bradford PA. It’s not a top of the line but it works for me. I really like the orange handle model. I’ve done a couple whitetail deer before it needed resharpened. I use a Havalon at times also.

I use a Tyto replacement blade knife and it works great. Tyto also has a fixed blade that is under 2oz for $130 and they claim it won’t need sharpening until you are out of the backcountry.