Scope Ideas? ... tikka 308 | 150gr Trophy Copper | For thick timber elk to stone sheep

dapesche

WKR
So I currently have a vx2 4-12x40 on my tikka.

I am a big fan of the 150gr trophy copper in my 308 and I've taken elk and goat with it.
I'm going to stick with that ammo

So I was thinking about a new scope that I can dial for distance (ex. leupold CDS).

I have killed a couple elk at 10yds with my rifle and the 4x can be tough at those distances.
My friend didn't get a goat a couple years back b/c we were too close and all he saw was white in his scope.

I need/want a scope that is usable between 10 - 400yds, and I'd like it to be light.

Just curious to hear the experiences of others and to get some recommendations on a good scope for my needs.

Price range is likely about $1000 on high end.

Thank you.

TN2shot07

WKR
I have three similar set ups, all with different glass and weight was a priority. Maven rs2 2-10, Leupold vx3 2.5-8, and a Swaro z3 3-9x36. No performance issues with any, if I ever did another one it’ll also have a Swaro on it.

Depending on your zero 400 yards isn’t going to really require much dialing anyway so check out whatever you can get your hands on and like the best. The night force is hands down an awesome scope but it’s expensive if you don’t need it and it’s heavy.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Thank you.

Definitely would like to try to keep the weight down.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I am leaning towards a vxhd scope. Possibly in that 2.5-10 or 3-15 range.
Looks like they are 30mm tubes though.

4th_point

WKR
So I currently have a vx2 4-12x40 on my tikka.

I have killed a couple elk at 10yds with my rifle and the 4x can be tough at those distances.
My friend didn't get a goat a couple years back b/c we were too close and all he saw was white in his scope.

I need/want a scope that is usable between 10 - 400yds, and I'd like it to be light.
Do you shoot with one eye closed? Or both eyes open?

If one eye closed, I would try both eyes open. If that works, then keep the scope that you have, assuming that it serves your needs. Save the $1000 and spend it on something else.

I have used 6x at close ranges without a problem, but I know that some people can't or won't shoot with two eyes.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
Do you shoot with one eye closed? Or both eyes open?

If one eye closed, I would try both eyes open. If that works, then keep the scope that you have, assuming that it serves your needs. Save the $1000 and spend it on something else.

I have used 6x at close ranges without a problem, but I know that some people can't or won't shoot with two eyes.
that's a valid point for sure.

as you know, scopes last a loooong time and I am ok to spend some $$. I want a quality scope and I really like the idea of the CDS dial. I am pretty sure other manufacturers have those turrets but I don't think you can get them etched for a specific round.

That 3-12 seems like a perfectly good range and I don't want the scope getting too heavy.