Scope selection help

I have question. I won a creedmor rifle and looking to put a vortex scope on it. I have a razor 3-15X42 on my .243 and 6-18X44 AO crossfire on my .300. So now looking to see what would be a good match for the creedmor. I like vortex and their customers service. They have never let me down with their warranty so far and that’s why I want to pick another vortex scope. Plus I can get a discount on expert voice :)
Thank for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Lingcod907
I like their products also. Their razor scope LHT is worth every penny. Light weight, clarity, easy to use. Most of all. I love how rock solid it is built.

Oh boy, ^^^^^^^^ that is going to get some serious laughs here on Rokslide. You may want to check the Longrange subforum here and read up on the scope tests and subsequent results.

I have a Viper HS LR 4-16x44 that I'd be willing to part with. It was on a 7mm with only a 10 day hunting trip of use on it. I've fired about 240 rds with it, dialing to 315 yds max, numerous times. So far, it's been spot on. PM me if that sounds interesting.

Fwiw, I probably get the same discount as you on expert voice and will sell you the scope at a much better price.

Just an idea!

6.5 Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor? Is the intended use just hunting? Do you want simple fixed parallax, adjustable? Are you looking at first or second focal plane? Simple duplex type reticle or one with hold-over/ Christmas tree type reticle?

More information will get you better responses/suggestions. I too like vortex because of their warranty.... I've wrecked a few of their optics due to mishaps and never had ab issue getting them replaced.

Oh boy, ^^^^^^^^ that is going to get some serious laughs here on Rokslide. You may want to check the Longrange subforum here and read up on the scope tests and subsequent results.
While I understand where you're coming from, you should understand that not everybody is traversing slippery mountain sides. When I lived and hunted in WA, I was always having accidents with my rifles. Since moving to the Midwest, I've yet to drop a rifle, shotgun, etc. The ground is flat, simple as that.

I don't know where the OP is from or what his intended use is but it's possible that he doesn't need a bomb proof scope. It's possible that a Vortex will fill whatever role he needs it for. There's no reason to laugh at or mock people that don't put their scopes thru the ringer.

While I understand where you're coming from, you should understand that not everybody is traversing slippery mountain sides. When I lived and hunted in WA, I was always having accidents with my rifles. Since moving to the Midwest, I've yet to drop a rifle, shotgun, etc. The ground is flat, simple as that.

I don't know where the OP is from or what his intended use is but it's possible that he doesn't need a bomb proof scope. It's possible that a Vortex will fill whatever role he needs it for. There's no reason to laugh at or mock people that don't put their scopes thru the ringer.

You're mistaken. I I didn't laugh or mock anyone. I made a suggestion to be better informed. If you follow the suggestion you will discover that Vortex has failed the scope test from just riding around in a truck, and of course they failed the drop test. In your post above, you imply the only issue was failing the drop tests.

And for the record, I could care less about selling my scope. The truth is, Vortex makes scopes that perform just fine for the average hunter. The average hunter isn't taking 600 yd shots at game or hiking thru the shit. The average hunter is likely taking a leisurely stroll to some spot within a mile of his vehicle. He probably won't drop his rifle, nor have need for dialing, and can get by perfectly with a Burris, Leupold, Vortex, etc.

That's the statistical truth.

I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, rainforest and steep crappy mountain territory, everything is slimy from moss and if youre not hunting that youre hunting high desert. I've taken too many falls/rolls to buy anything that doesn't have a good warranty. I've never had a minor incident mess up a vortex but I've definitely tatered a few beyond repair.

You're mistaken. I I didn't laugh or mock anyone. I made a suggestion to be better informed. If you follow the suggestion you will discover that Vortex has failed the scope test from just riding around in a truck, and of course they failed the drop test. In your post above, you imply the only issue was failing the drop tests.
I know you weren't mocking him. I wrote that simply because I know that others will, just like you pointed out.

I've read just about every thread on Vortex that's popped up here in the last 2 years. I wouldn't even try to dispute what others have experienced with their scopes. All I know is that I haven't had any issues with mine. I have a diamondback, a Viper, and a Razor. I had others and sold them. None of them failed me but I will admit that none of them saw hard use.

My hard use rifles all sport swfa scopes.

And for the record, I could care less about selling my scope. The truth is, Vortex makes scopes that perform just fine for the average hunter. The average hunter isn't taking 600 yd shots at game or hiking thru the shit. The average hunter is likely taking a leisurely stroll to some spot within a mile of his vehicle. He probably won't drop his rifle, nor have need for dialing, and can get by perfectly with a Burris, Leupold, Vortex, etc.

That's the statistical truth.

Yet POI changes on all of those, consistently. Thus the need to check zero after traveling. Now many may be happy with such risks. But for me, I spend way to much time and money on hunting trips, to miss animals because of an unreliable scope, to return home with tag soup and return the scope f ok r warranty repair and or replacement.

But of course, we all have different acceptable risks.

Yet POI changes on all of those, consistently. Thus the need to check zero after traveling. Now many may be happy with such risks. But for me, I spend way to much time and money on hunting trips, to miss animals because of an unreliable scope, to return home with tag soup and return the scope f ok r warranty repair and or replacement.

But of course, we all have different acceptable risks.
Before I knew about drop tests and how sensitive scopes were to vibration, I was a fairly successful elk and deer hunter with an old savage 111 and a Tasco 3-9. Every animal I shot at died. The rifle was dropped many times and I almost always continued my hunt without re checking zero. So why was I able to kill so reliably with such an abysmal weapon system?

The answer: Because all my shots were well under 300 yds. Most animals were shot within 150 yds or less.

What's a 2 moa shift from zero at 100 yds? Hell, my first elk was smoked at 60 yds. What's a hard fall and 3 moa shift at 60 yds?

Like I said before and statistics prove, the average hunter isn't shooting very far, will not be dialing, and isn't traversing treacherous country.

You've mentioned that Vortex scopes shift POI just from riding in a vehicle. I can't and won't try to dispute that. All I know is that 2 years ago, I drove from IL to WA and 25 miles up shitty logging roads, to do a bear hunt. Once I got to where I was going to hunt, the zeros on my 7mm with Viper and 30-06 with Nikon Monarch were checked. Outside of a small, predicted adjustment for elevation change (from 500 ft to 5800 ft) both rifles were right on.

All I'm saying is, I didn't see any crazy POI change. I'm a 0.9 - 1.2 moa average with both rifles. Maybe that's not precise enough to detect a change? I don't know.

Regardless, I appreciate the discussion. I don't want you to think that I'm against the advice you're giving. I'm just presenting an opposite view.

It’s funny that you can’t mention Vortex let alone LHT on this forum without people regurgitating the one negative “torture test”. LOL.

It’s funny that you can’t mention Vortex let alone LHT on this forum without people regurgitating the one negative “torture test”. LOL.
Or without people mentioning how well Vortex warranty service has worked for them. You see that swirling mass of liquid? That is a Vortex. A scope company purposefully gave themselves that name.

Or without people mentioning how well Vortex warranty service has worked for them. You see that swirling mass of liquid? That is a Vortex. A scope company purposefully gave themselves that name.

The fact is that 95%+ of Vortex sales are shitty Chinese and Phillipino models which yes get replaced a lot. At least they replace them when they fail though unlike some companies. If you get one that you’re just not happy with you can smash the damn thing on a rock and they’ll replace it with a new unit.

Vortex’s Razor line is solid, the 4.5-27 is probably the winningest optic in PRS so it’s pretty hard to say they’re trash and don’t hold zero or track when some of the best shooters in the world choose them to go win matches where they get bashed into barricades and crap for two days at a time running 20 stages with 10-12 rounds per stage and sometimes dialing between every round but at least dialing 4-5 times per stage. Yet they’re supposedly not robust enough for some hunter to use a week out of the year strapped to a pack with a neoprene scope cover LOL.

BjornF16

WKR
OP

As suggested earlier, more details on expected use would help. Ranges shooting, ToD, MOA vs MIL, etc.

I would also highly recommend reading through the scope evaluation section in Long Range Hunting forum.

I’m running Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x42 FFP on my 6.5 CM; NF 4-32x50 on my 6XC; Trijicon 2-10x36 FFP on my 22CM; NF SHV 4-14 on 300 WSM; SWFA 6X on my Rokslide “Special” .223 Rem

I used to run Vortex exclusively…

Edit: link to LHT scope eval: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/vortex-razor-hd-lht-4-5-22x50mm-field-eval.253013/

Last edited:
OP
Lingcod907
6.5 Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor? Is the intended use just hunting? Do you want simple fixed parallax, adjustable? Are you looking at first or second focal plane? Simple duplex type reticle or one with hold-over/ Christmas tree type reticle?

More information will get you better responses/suggestions. I too like vortex because of their warranty.... I've wrecked a few of their optics due to mishaps and never had ab issue getting them replaced.

6.5 and for hunting. Adjustable and Second focal point with MOAD.

OP
Lingcod907
To clear thing up I’m bow hunter at heart. I can tell you all about sights rest, releases and everything you need to know about a bow. Im just not a gun guy. Funny thing is all my rifles I won at banquets. Now with that. I can shoot a rifle no one question. 28 years in the military taught me. I just never got in knowing scopes, bullet ballistics. I just have to do research. Once a year I head out to Montana with a rifle to deer hunt.
I appreciate everyone’s input.

Flyjunky

WKR
The fact is that 95%+ of Vortex sales are shitty Chinese and Phillipino models which yes get replaced a lot. At least they replace them when they fail though unlike some companies. If you get one that you’re just not happy with you can smash the damn thing on a rock and they’ll replace it with a new unit.

Vortex’s Razor line is solid, the 4.5-27 is probably the winningest optic in PRS so it’s pretty hard to say they’re trash and don’t hold zero or track when some of the best shooters in the world choose them to go win matches where they get bashed into barricades and crap for two days at a time running 20 stages with 10-12 rounds per stage and sometimes dialing between every round but at least dialing 4-5 times per stage. Yet they’re supposedly not robust enough for some hunter to use a week out of the year strapped to a pack with a neoprene scope cover LOL.
I’m not a vortex user but I tend to agree about certain scopes. So many people are using scopes in matches that get knocked around, slammed into barricades, bags, etc yet these same scopes are taboo here.