Selling firearms questions

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I've read the sticky's in the Gun Classifieds and still have some questions. I have a couple revolvers I was considering posting, and thru dumb luck (Googling the manufacturer PN), I found a webpage for the CA Attorney General with a list of decertified handguns. One of the two I'm considering posting is on this list.

Reviewing the list, I'm surprised to see so many revolvers listed. I can't see why some of these guns are even listed...a bunch of 22LR's in all different barrel lengths. Had I not come across this website, I'd have no idea they couldn't be sold in/to CA. This raises the question and concerns...what other states can I not sell these to, and how do I find out? Any help or guidance on this is greatly appreciated!

For reference, I have a S&W 163417 (44 Mag Emergency Survival kit).

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sell them inside your state if you know the laws.

Don't rely on the internet to tell you what is legal.

Start by ruling out all blue states, lol.

You can do a survey of stores on Gunbroker and see what states they say are on their "no sales" list as well. Then, do more research from there.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For each transaction, you can always have them pick the FFL and then YOU call the FFL and confirm the gun is legal in the state. Then take payment.

OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
The handgun roster in CA only applies to new guns, not used.
Thank you! I did some digging, and quite honestly, can't find solid proof on this. One site said they can't be resold, another said they can only be sold via private sale, etc. Apparently the reason they can be de-certified is simply because the manufacturer doesn't want to pay CA to certify the gun any more, which makes sense if the gun is out of production. That explains to lack of rhyme and reason in the list.
Do you happen to have a link to concrete evidence they can be resold if used? Maybe I can track down a dealer in CA and ask for some insight, but that's still word of mouth and it seems many FFL's aren't up on even basic transfers...

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! I did some digging, and quite honestly, can't find solid proof on this. One site said they can't be resold, another said they can only be sold via private sale, etc. Apparently the reason they can be de-certified is simply because the manufacturer doesn't want to pay CA to certify the gun any more, which makes sense if the gun is out of production. That explains to lack of rhyme and reason in the list.
Do you happen to have a link to concrete evidence they can be resold if used? Maybe I can track down a dealer in CA and ask for some insight, but that's still word of mouth and it seems many FFL's aren't up on even basic transfers...
This is from CA Department of Justice website:

"As of January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement."