Sheep Packing List

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
I always learn a lot by looking at other people's packing lists for hunts so I thought I'd share mine.

https://lighterpack.com/r/hva094

A bit of background on the hunt this year. There will be two of us hence the larger tent and pot. It's a Chugach, AK draw hunt, actually my girlfriend drew the tag for hopefully her first sheep. Pooled gear will include, a tent, spotter, cooker, and fuel. She'll probably have a spare 4oz fuel can just in case.

I like to pack pretty light, and I used a similar loadout multiple times on extended mountain hunts in AK and NZ.

Anyway, tear it apart.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I like the list!! How many days will you be out for? up in sheep country have you had any issues with wind and a tarp tent? Most of the videos i've seen they have something with a frame on it? I am headed to ak next year for sheep and have been debating on bringing my silex.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks good.

You list two pairs of rain pants, guessing one is supposed to be a rain jacket :)

I’d probably rock a heavier puffy, but with the additional layers you have you’ll probably be fine (I have a MH Ghost Whisperer too, but I’m bringing a heavier/warmer puffy on my upcoming sheep hunt).

I also own a Front Range as well, w/ adequate stakes (number and length) and using all guy lines, you should be fine.

Had to look up the Quick Stick “tripod”; if it works definitely shaving some weight there!

Sounds like you’re in for a great adventure, best of luck!

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
I like the list!! How many days will you be out for? up in sheep country have you had any issues with wind and a tarp tent? Most of the videos i've seen they have something with a frame on it? I am headed to ak next year for sheep and have been debating on bringing my silex.
I have 14 days on there, but I don't think it'll need that much based on past years. I've hunted the area in the past with a tarp tent and there're good sheltered tent spots to pitch it. I think your Silex would be fine, I use single-pole tents almost exclusively these days.

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
Looks good.

You list two pairs of rain pants, guessing one is supposed to be a rain jacket :)

I’d probably rock a heavier puffy, but with the additional layers you have you’ll probably be fine (I have a MH Ghost Whisperer too, but I’m bringing a heavier/warmer puffy on my upcoming sheep hunt).

I also own a Front Range as well, w/ adequate stakes (number and length) and using all guy lines, you should be fine.

Had to look up the Quick Stick “tripod”; if it works definitely shaving some weight there!

Sounds like you’re in for a great adventure, best of luck!
Thanks mate!

I run pretty hotly so should be right, same time and area last year I barely touched the puffy, the Mrs on the other hand will need a far bit extra.

The front range is new to me but I had a seek outside LBO for a number of years, and it survived all conditions I used it in.

This will be my second year with the quick stick system, managed just fine last year and it ticks a lot of boxes which is awesome!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool on the quick stick, I'll have to look into those more closely.

I have the inner for my front range (wife wants a "real" tent :) ), also had a buddy put a stove jack in it, so definitely a versatile shelter!

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
I thought that, but the front range is pretty good, and I prefer the floorless setups

kaboku68

WKR
You can encounter 60+ mph winds from several directions in a storm up there and it can dump a foot of snow in August. The golden rule of hunting with your spouse is that she needs to be comfortable at all times because an expensive tent is cheaper than a divorce. Would you take that tent up Denali with her? That is the question.

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
Haha, past girlfriends, I would agree.

We were in Adak last year with 60+ winds and sleet for most days, but no dramas, she was smiling the whole time.

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
I'll run it by her though mate, and see what she reckons. We talked about getting a Helliberg post-Adak last year, so this could be the catalyst

What stands out to me is your choice of rain gear combination is backwards to what I would go for, generally. A Yukon jacket is super heavy and mostly overkill, while the Northridge pants are barely rain gear. One foray through knee high alpine scrub and you’ll have pin holes everywhere.
I like the rest of the list.

Nice list. Just my opinion based on one sheep hunt in the Brooks so take it for what it is.
I also agree with the previous comment about rethinking the rain gear/hard shell. I used the Northridge elk hunting in idaho in September and the one morning it rained I dang near shredded them. I think the Yukon is a bit overkill. I have been very happy with the Chugach set and on my sheep hunt I actually wore them straight for 2 days either with nothing on underneath or with zip off peloton. It had rained a lot and the willows were wet. Once we got on the mountain the side zips were nice vents.
First aid kit?
No gaiters? I would recommend taking them.
Drop your second pair of undies. With decent hygiene you can easily go a couple weeks without changing - maybe that is just the Marine in me.

One tip I picked up a long time ago that might be handy for you in a variety of situations. Wrap some duct tape and electical tape around the upper part of your trekking poles. The electrical tape can be used to cover the rifle muzzle and the duct tape can be used for a variety of things taping up feet for blisters, fixing tent pole, torn clothing, etc.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
What stands out to me is your choice of rain gear combination is backwards to what I would go for, generally. A Yukon jacket is super heavy and mostly overkill, while the Northridge pants are barely rain gear. One foray through knee high alpine scrub and you’ll have pin holes everywhere.
I like the rest of the list.
Yeah I was uming and ahing about the Northridge, I have the Yukons so I'll will swap them out

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
Nice list. Just my opinion based on one sheep hunt in the Brooks so take it for what it is.
I also agree with the previous comment about rethinking the rain gear/hard shell. I used the Northridge elk hunting in idaho in September and the one morning it rained I dang near shredded them. I think the Yukon is a bit overkill. I have been very happy with the Chugach set and on my sheep hunt I actually wore them straight for 2 days either with nothing on underneath or with zip off peloton. It had rained a lot and the willows were wet. Once we got on the mountain the side zips were nice vents.
First aid kit?
No gaiters? I would recommend taking them.
Drop your second pair of undies. With decent hygiene you can easily go a couple weeks without changing - maybe that is just the Marine in me.

One tip I picked up a long time ago that might be handy for you in a variety of situations. Wrap some duct tape and electical tape around the upper part of your trekking poles. The electrical tape can be used to cover the rifle muzzle and the duct tape can be used for a variety of things taping up feet for blisters, fixing tent pole, torn clothing, etc.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the input.

There's a first aid kit in the other category. Yeah, I might drop a pair of undies. I usually take two but don't seem to ever wear the second pair.

Yup, no gaiters. When hunting in the US I normally wear pants and when wearing pants I think gaiters are a little overkill. When hunting in NZ I usually wear shorts so I'll wear gaiters to stop shit getting in my boots

Great point on the tape! I have electrical tape on chapstick that I counted in the first-aid kit and some duct tape on the hand sanitizer.

For a muzzle cover, I use these black water balloons https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ANCFYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

S.Clancy

WKR
I went on that hunt with my buddy last year, personally I would not do a tarp. We had a floorless and Tarptent Notch-Li. I would strongly advise against anything that is not freestanding or a Hilliberg after hunting that country.

You are bringing more stuff than I did, I was at under 50 lbs for a 10-day hunt without weapon.
Your clothes are significantly more than what I brought. Basically I had my colthes worn, plus 1 extra pair socks, down sweater, synthetic puffy and rain gear.

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
A freestanding shelter is the easy button. In my very limited experience floorless or staked options can work but man you have to be so picky about where you put them and by hyper vigilant about weather.

I like the ability to pick a spot that might not be perfect.

I had a floorless shelter staked out with large rocks and deadmans, buried edges and a pretty decent protected spot. I was dam lucky my buddy stayed behind to eat while I moved out on a ridge to glass. Wind ripped front half of shelter out of the stakes, bend stakes, started to tear fabric on the gusseted stiching. He was in the tent and was able to save sleeping bags and other gear that was headed down the mountain.

Shit happens and sometimes it's not worth the risk on hunts with low draw odds. My .02

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Not sure what is included in your daily food pack, but I highly recommend the LMNT electrolyte packs for your nalgene bottle

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
Cheers, I usually bring some liquid I.V. but I've heard a few recommendations on the LMNT packs. I've get a few and give them a try