Sheep Packing List

schmalzy

WKR
I think list is solid but also vote for a shelter that’s a little sturdier then a tarp. Only one trip under my belt so take with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Cheers, I usually bring some liquid I.V. but I've heard a few recommendations on the LMNT packs. I've get a few and give them a try
I recommend salt sticks as an alternative. I don't like mixing stuff in my water, and you can tune the dose based on how many capsules you want to take.

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
I think list is solid but also vote for a shelter that’s a little sturdier then a tarp. Only one trip under my belt so take with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I've had good luck with the floorless shelters up high when there are no bugs, and the tipi/pyramid shapes have less wind loading than most

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve thought a ton on shelter. I have a really light two person shelter that is pretty bomber, has seen me through some really rough weather. It also has two doors and vestibules, palatial for one! I was all set to bring this shelter to the Brooks Range this August. Until I heard about the weather they encountered in 2021 (very high winds and snow) It sounds like it was definitely an anomaly, well out of “normal” weather.

BUT it kept me thinking what if. That storm wrecked several shelters. This will likely be my only sheep hunt (30+ years of applying here and nothing) and I don’t want my shelter to be a weak link). Sooooo I purchased a Hille (Niak). It weighs double of my other shelter (4lbs vs 2), has less room and only one door/vestibule. But it buys me ease of mind :)

I’m pretty sure that when I’m done with the hunt, I’ll be saying should have brought the other shelter :D

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve thought a ton on shelter. I have a really light two person shelter that is pretty bomber, has seen me through some really rough weather. It also has two doors and vestibules, palatial for one! I was all set to bring this shelter to the Brooks Range this August. Until I heard about the weather they encountered in 2021 (very high winds and snow) It sounds like it was definitely an anomaly, well out of “normal” weather.

BUT it kept me thinking what if. That storm wrecked several shelters. This will likely be my only sheep hunt (30+ years of applying here and nothing) and I don’t want my shelter to be a weak link). Sooooo I purchased a Hille (Niak). It weighs double of my other shelter (4lbs vs 2), has less room and only one door/vestibule. But it buys me ease of mind :)

I’m pretty sure that when I’m done with the hunt, I’ll be saying should have brought the other shelter :D
I think that is a prudent move in a very remote new area.

I should have added more context on this hunt I'll be part of. It's in the Chugach in an area I've hunted in two other times. It's relatively close to civilisation, less than a day's walk out to the truck. We also have the luxury of a cave if the weather gets really really bad.

kaboku68

WKR
I hunted a section of the Chugach for three years that is east of your location. I got down to taking an unnamed ultralight tent because it was unbelievably light and pretty bomber if it is staked down. Then one season we got hit with a real mountain screamer(I was perched right under two 42 inchers) and I got blown off the mountain. It was nearly quiet but dark, dark, almost black out when the wind started coming from two Southerly directions and the tent blew up and then started a yard sale down about three hundred feet inside the tent with my pitbull who was a good mountain hunting partner but was completely freaked the Puck out. The next year I purchased a Black Diamond Eldorado and that rig has gone through hell with a chit eating grin. I replaced the poles with carbon fiber ones and had the zipper replaced after ten years of use but if it is vented right it is the perfect little yellow mountain hooch. I have other tents and have taken other tents but that Eldorado is hard to top in that rough weather environment.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ those are the stories that make me feel a little better with the purchase of the Hille :D

Last edited:
OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted a section of the Chugach for three years that is east of your location. I got down to taking an unnamed ultralight tent because it was unbelievably light and pretty bomber if it is staked down. Then one season we got hit with a real mountain screamer(I was perched right under two 42 inchers) and I got blown off the mountain. It was nearly quiet but dark, dark, almost black out when the wind started coming from two Southerly directions and the tent blew up and then started a yard sale down about three hundred feet inside the tent with my pitbull who was a good mountain hunting partner but was completely freaked the Puck out. The next year I purchased a Black Diamond Eldorado and that rig has gone through hell with a chit eating grin. I replaced the poles with carbon fiber ones and had the zipper replaced after ten years of use but if it is vented right it is the perfect little yellow mountain hooch. I have other tents and have taken other tents but that Eldorado is hard to top in that rough weather environment.
Great perspective, thanks very much.

HerdAK

FNG
I always learn a lot by looking at other people's packing lists for hunts so I thought I'd share mine.

https://lighterpack.com/r/hva094

A bit of background on the hunt this year. There will be two of us hence the larger tent and pot. It's a Chugach, AK draw hunt, actually my girlfriend drew the tag for hopefully her first sheep. Pooled gear will include, a tent, spotter, cooker, and fuel. She'll probably have a spare 4oz fuel can just in case.

I like to pack pretty light, and I used a similar loadout multiple times on extended mountain hunts in AK and NZ.

Anyway, tear it apart.
I see you swapped out the Kowa you have for sale with the Swaro 80mm. I'm curious on how that kowa compares. Im currently looking to pick one up just not sure if i want the 66 or step up to the 77

I love the Chugach! 13 or 14 if you don't mind? Good luck, pickins are starting to get slim out there sadly.

OP
KingGus

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
I see you swapped out the Kowa you have for sale with the Swaro 80mm. I'm curious on how that kowa compares. Im currently looking to pick one up just not sure if i want the 66 or step up to the 77
The 77 is great but just a shade heavier the 80HD. The 66 is definitely a great scope, probably the ultimate mix of price, glass, and weight on the market, very under rated

I always learn a lot by looking at other people's packing lists for hunts so I thought I'd share mine.

https://lighterpack.com/r/hva094

A bit of background on the hunt this year. There will be two of us hence the larger tent and pot. It's a Chugach, AK draw hunt, actually my girlfriend drew the tag for hopefully her first sheep. Pooled gear will include, a tent, spotter, cooker, and fuel. She'll probably have a spare 4oz fuel can just in case.

I like to pack pretty light, and I used a similar loadout multiple times on extended mountain hunts in AK and NZ.

Anyway, tear it apart.
Thanks for sharing. You only take one extra pair of socks and undies? How many days you going out for?

I thought it was interesting you have the strongfleece 260 Hoody. I have the 280 hoody and two years ago regretted not taking that particular piece of clothing over a guide jacket which I thought was too bulky and not practical on a sheep hunt. This year the strongfleece is definitely part of my pack. I also think this year I'm going to wear my Kutana pants over the Attack Pants. I just like them better for hiking. They're not as thick, but they held up good on a 8 day hiking trip in the Wind River range last year.

As far as clothing goes I'm wearing:
Sitka short sleeve shirt,
First Lite Boxers
Kuiu Pro Merino 200 Zip
Kuiu Kutana Pants
Darn Tough hiking socks
Zamberlan Baltoro Lite GTX
Kuiu Storm Gaiters. (To me necessary)

Outside of that I will have packed:
Sitka Dewpoint Top and Bottom rain gear.
Stone Glacier Gruman Lite jacket,
Kuiu Super lite insulated pants
Anetik Hoody low protech shirt
Strongfleece 280 hoody
two pairs extra socks
one pair extra boxers
One pair sitka long john bottoms. (Really for sleeping in as I like to change out of the boxers and let them air out.)

Outside of normal pack stuff, my amenity items comes down to a travel size tempur pedic pillow which doesn't weigh much at all and the REI flexlite air chair which to me is an absolute game changer and it goes on every trip of mine.