Shooting Accuracy

OXN939

WKR
Or do people just brag it’s a 1 MOA gun if they do that group once a session?

Yes. This is why thousands of videos like this exist:

There have to be ten times as many people who overestimate their abilities as those who underestimate them. Finding out you're in the latter club is the cherry on top of hunting or shooting; finding out you belong to the former group is a really horrible feeling for anyone who doesn't suck.

i changed a few basic things and in the order that helped

Glad to hear you got some better groups! Do be mindful in the process of dialing things in that even small changes can influence POI. You always hear that "Adding a bipod can change the POI on rifles because it can cause some stocks to contact the barrel." True. But even much subtler changes can effect your groups. If you sight in while wearing a winter jacket or two, your rifle's recoil impulse in the 1000th of a second after the primer ignites will be different than if you were wearing a T shirt. Just food for thought!

OP
D

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Big issue in FL is the limited long gun ranges and your inability to try out different shooting positions etc per range rules.

amassi

WKR
Yes. This is why thousands of videos like this exist:

There have to be ten times as many people who overestimate their abilities as those who underestimate them. Finding out you're in the latter club is the cherry on top of hunting or shooting; finding out you belong to the former group is a really horrible feeling for anyone who doesn't suck.

Glad to hear you got some better groups! Do be mindful in the process of dialing things in that even small changes can influence POI. You always hear that "Adding a bipod can change the POI on rifles because it can cause some stocks to contact the barrel." True. But even much subtler changes can effect your groups. If you sight in while wearing a winter jacket or two, your rifle's recoil impulse in the 1000th of a second after the primer ignites will be different than if you were wearing a T shirt. Just food for thought!
Cant believe someone posted that video. Wow

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
Cant believe someone posted that video. Wow

Truly, it's an excellent learning point. You can hear the spotter wanting to stick by his buddy, but internally dying at the horribly butchered opportunity at a nice elk.

Also why, although I have plenty of rounds under my belt out to a thousand, I'll personally never send one at an animal past 400.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wow that’s an impressively terrible way of hunting. We’ve taken deer at 650 and 770 with my .300 win mag.

I never heard what distance they were shooting at, and I never once heard a distance, or MOA or MIL callout to dial.

Long distance is doable but you gotta practice and have the support equipment.

Videos like that are why the greenies want us to all die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Wow that’s an impressively terrible way of hunting. We’ve taken deer at 650 and 770 with my .300 win mag.

I never heard what distance they were shooting at, and I never once heard a distance, or MOA or MIL callout to dial.

Long distance is doable but you gotta practice and have the support equipment.

Videos like that are why the greenies want us to all die.

The 4th or 5th shot, 2nd hit they said 600 yards.

every one of us looking at this video, as an example, should realize that this kind if stuff will be the largest death blow to hunting in this battle as we hunters continue to defend ourselves daily

K

Kootenay Hunter

Remember, precision and accuracy are two different things. 1.5-2in group is precise enough for an ethical kill, making sure you can hit that spot repeatedly (accuracy) is the important thing.

EastMT

WKR
This video is the reason I limit myself to 300 yards. I don’t feel I have put enough time in for long shots so I don’t take them. Plenty of people do, and do it successfully due to the time they invest. I’m pretty sure I could hit one at 600, but pretty sure isn’t sure enough in my book.

“He’s gonna go down” (leg broken, no vitals). Unreal.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

robtattoo

WKR
My opinion, but marginal caliber & really, really bad decision making abound in that video. I found it tough to watch after the leg hit.
I really believe that since the 6.5cm became a mainstream caliber, everyone thinks it's the long range miracle drug & suddenly everyone can kill shit at beyond 600yds. Not bagging on the cartridge, but it really isn't all that. Consistent long range shooting takes dedication, time, effort & money. I shoot long range target. I'm at the range probably 10 hrs a week. I'm absolutely confident that with my range gun I could absolutely hit an elk's vitals at 1k.
Would I take that shot? Not in my lifetime. 400 is my absolute limit & if there's wind strong enough to feel, imma move closer. It's hunting. The shooting part should be certain. The getting close bit should be the unknown.....

My opinion, but marginal caliber & really, really bad decision making abound in that video. I found it tough to watch after the leg hit.
I really believe that since the 6.5cm became a mainstream caliber, everyone thinks it's the long range miracle drug & suddenly everyone can kill shit at beyond 600yds. Not bagging on the cartridge, but it really isn't all that. Consistent long range shooting takes dedication, time, effort & money. I shoot long range target. I'm at the range probably 10 hrs a week. I'm absolutely confident that with my range gun I could absolutely hit an elk's vitals at 1k.
Would I take that shot? Not in my lifetime. 400 is my absolute limit & if there's wind strong enough to feel, imma move closer. It's hunting. The shooting part should be certain. The getting close bit should be the unknown.....
wanted to give that 10 thumbs up !!

wyosam

WKR

The long range crowd, and the love affair with the CM has certainly made it so when you tell someone you bought one, the response is “getting into long range stuff?”. I picked one up this year to improve my shooting (and for simplicity, wife shoots a 6.5). I spent years getting rid of a flinch I developed during the half dozen years a hunted with a big magnum in a light rifle. Switched back to my trusty ‘06, and eventually got rid of that damn flinch. Fast forward another 15 years, and my shoulder is wrecked from other pursuits. Flinch came back. I dreaded practicing with my rifle, so it got zero verified and little else. I’ve found joy in shooting again, and the paper shows it. That being said, my max range on game shrunk from 400-300, and only with a broadside beyond 200. The creed shoots great- I can regularly ring steel out to 600, but realize that is not at all realistic for elk. Of course many argue it’s not an elk caliber, but I am confident sending my wife out with it, with range and presenting shot angle limits. A 7-08 would have probably been a better choice, but I admit I fell for the new and shiny. I don’t typically do that with hunting gear- I’ve carried the same’06 for 30 years minus my 300wm experiment, same rangefinder for about 17, same pack frame for 18. Upgraded all that plus Binos this year- guess I got carried away after my recent promotion!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Ok, let’s reset here. That video was what it was for of some obvious reasons, but the 6.5 Creedmoor isn’t one. That first hit was a leg hit that did not enter the chest cavity. A 338 mag wouldn’t have done any better with the impact. More recoil NEVER is never the answer in rodeos.

wyosam,

You are swinging all the way to the other side. Destroyed vital organs are what kill, and the 6.5 Creedmoor will do that well past 600 yards. There is no magic to this- learn to shoot, put a bullet with enough impact velocity to upset into the lungs, and things die without fuss.

wyosam

WKR
I’m well aware what kills elk, I’ve put dozens of elk in the freezer with calibers from .243 to 300 WM. I’ve never seen one go far with a quality bullet in the boiler room. I’ve also not noticed a significant difference in results in larger calibers with poor shots. Sure, the 6.5 will kill elk a long ways off, just as the ‘06 is capable well beyond my self imposed 350. My range is less about caliber or shooting ability, and more about me not being a meteorologist. I live and hunt in windy county, and I can’t reliably predict how many different ways the wind is blowing 500 yards away. Just irritates me that the CM is assumed to be a choice based on long range hunting ambitions.

dla

WKR
Fairly new to shooting and hunting. Please help with shooting expectations. I am shooting around 1.5 to 2 inch groupings at 100 on average.

I am shooting a
rem 700 sps tactical 308 16.5inch barrel
Hornady eld-x
Vortex viper 3-10 Scope
Indoor range 100yards

Should I expect or strive for consistent sub inch/ 1 MOA groups? Or do people just brag it’s a 1 MOA gun if they do that group once a session? Should I expect to do less because my scope isn’t higher powered and hunting ammo chosen? Or do I just need more practice and time to get better? Thanks all
I tried to read through everything in this thread, so my apologies if this has been asked: Do you want to hunt, or do you want to shoot?
If you want to hunt, then focus on field shooting - the positions, unknown ranges, shot placement, time to first shot.