Shooting and hunting tripod options

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been researching reasonably priced options for tripods, mounts and the necessary associated parts I may need.

So far I’ve purchased an rt90c tripod and a PIG saddle mount. Both have a few week wait before I receive them.

I plan on using this setup for prairie dogs, coyote sets, antelope, and range shooting.

Id like to use several different rifles without requiring arca rails or similar mounts.

Does anyone have first hand experiences or suggestions on anything that may be a better option for the scenarios I’ve laid out?

bsnedeker

WKR
I just use one of the cheapo V-rests for the top of my tripod and I find it to be plenty stable for me for sitting shots up to 400 yards. That PIG saddle looks like it should be legit!

OP
Goatie

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I just use one of the cheapo V-rests for the top of my tripod and I find it to be plenty stable for me for sitting shots up to 400 yards. That PIG saddle looks like it should be legit!

I have the v rest type setup on a flimsier manfrotto tripod I have now but I went with the saddle to have it in the ready position while seated with minimal movement.

khuber84

WKR
I suggest a feisol 3372 w/ rrs anvil. Not cheap but probably the lightest most versatile option. I run a PVA comp 40, which is heavy, but rock solid. Two vest sporting goods just released a new light weigh tripod called the no name Jr, that's only 2.3# with out the center stem.

I went with the no name carbon fiber tripod from 2Vets Sporting goods. I put a leveling base on it and a RRS Vyce clamp on top. The tripod is tall enough to shoot from standing (I’m 6’ tall). I’ve shot it out to 1250 yards alongside RRS tripods that cost 4times more. Works great for a rifle or a spotter.

I think the HOG saddle would be comparable, but I chose the Vyce because it opens wider. The PIG saddle isn’t as sturdy as the HOG.

I went with the no name carbon fiber tripod from 2Vets Sporting goods. I put a leveling base on it and a RRS Vyce clamp on top. The tripod is tall enough to shoot from standing (I’m 6’ tall). I’ve shot it out to 1250 yards alongside RRS tripods that cost 4times more. Works great for a rifle or a spotter.

I think the HOG saddle would be comparable, but I chose the Vyce because it opens wider. The PIG saddle isn’t as sturdy as the HOG.

Have you used a RRS to compare the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfeth20

FNG
I had a Salmon River Solutions mini arca rail mounted on my Christianson Arms Mesa. 6.5 PRC. And shoot off a cheap carbon fiber tripod I got off of optics planet. With that rail you can shoot off any tripod head that is arca Swiss compatible.

CJF

WKR
I unscrewed the "v" from an old trigger stick and mounted it on the adapter plate for my Vortex Pro GT tripod. I can shoot it sitting, kneeling, and standing.