Shooting/ hunting extreme cold

Cheechako

FNG
Hey everyone, I live in Fairbanks and still have a week left on a moose tag. Only problem is that it’s 20 below and I’m shooting a laminated longbow.
It shoots and carries fine at 10 but I’m hesitant to try it at -20. Does anyone have any experience shooting that cold?

oldgoat

WKR
I don't, but I've read enough of these posts to say you should be fine, you might exercise your limbs a little before you shoot though if you are worried, just draw them back several times, start with short draws, gradually lengthening the draws each time. Hopefully some body will chime in though with more than just internet experience like I have 🤔 Coldest I've shot is in the single digits above zero.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I think your bow will be fine, I've had issues pulling back a bow on extreme cold days due to muscles not doing what I want them too...lol

GLB

WKR
I lived in Fairbanks and Delta Jct. I have hunted in the extreme cold for late moose and small game and haven’t had any equipment failures. However I know test has been done on equipment metals, wood and the findings are that they will loose tensile strength starting at 20 below and colder.
I still split firewood with an axe and much prefer to split it when it very cold out because it’s much easier. Just saying.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Grip it and rip it. It'll be fine. I'm in northern alberta and it's cold here too.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was shooting mine at -17 today without any troubles. I was only out doing it for ~ 30 mins though.

I will only opinionate here as I have no expertise. Things that flex and bend well at 10-90 degrees (F) often behave differently at higher and lower temps. It's simple physics. Adhesives in particular will usually have an optimum temperature range, and some can become brittle or less flexible in severe cold. Epoxies are strong but they still have limits.

So....I'm not wanting to worry anyone. I'd be out there shooting too if I wanted. I might ask my bowyer about it and get his thoughts. I don't recall ever hearing of a stickbow snapping or shattering in cold temps.

OP
C

Cheechako

FNG
Tried it yesterday for a few shots at ~-25 out here where I live. It did fine as did my wood arrows.
I think I’ll mostly be looking down the truck and taking quick walks so I think it’ll be fine.
Thank you all for your advice.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a doe yesterday. -22C I shoot my bow all winter, if it's minus 30C and sunny with no wind I'm outside Shooting. Or ice fishing, or both lol.

LostArra

WKR
Tried it yesterday for a few shots at ~-25 out here where I live. It did fine as did my wood arrows.
I think I’ll mostly be looking down the truck and taking quick walks so I think it’ll be fine.
Thank you all for your advice.
Keep us posted on the moose. Sounds like an adventure from shot to butchering. I imagine you don't toss a dead moose in the back of the truck and get back to a warm barn :)

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I break down in the cold more than my bow does......grin

-25 ouch.
I hunted a week in northern Alberta one year in those temps....and it won't hurt my feelings if I never do it again.

_
It's going back up to a balmy -10 this week. T shirt weather. Glad it's finally staying in the double digits for temp, time to start making ice.

I got a perch lake with way too many fish in it I need to get to haha.

It seems that bow that has been outside in those temps for several hours would perform differently than one that just came outside for a few shots. I agree with asking the bowyer. Better safe than sorry.

You can ask any engineer (except the train variety) and they'll tell you that every structural material is affected by temperature changes, and by temperature extremes. It doesn't mean something will fail or break, but it's worth being aware of that fact. In very cold temps I personally believe a laminated bow loses some flexibility and subsequent recovery speed. However, recall that bowhunters have hauled their laminated bows to the arctic for many decades, killing polar bears, walrus, muskox and other species in severely cold temps.

Tradchef

WKR
I hunt with mine in negatives here in Montana. I've never had any issues with mine at all. I try to practice in those temps as well until I can't feel my fingers on the string. It sucks but it's a great time to hunt when most are indoors. Good luck on the moose!!

OP
C

Cheechako

FNG
Well, the bow was fine but the moose were uncooperative.
I did learn that down vests are key to staying warm and not having too much bulk that you can’t draw at these temps. Also too many hoods can get in the way of shooting.

On to preparing for spring Bears.
Thank you for the advice everyone.