SHV vs NXS

Range use now, magnum hunting rifle use later on, which are you picking ?

• Total voters
Hey guys. I recently tagged a big muley and it’s got one of my friends from work that’s want to get into LR shooting and learning to read wind. He’s got a rem 700 308 win with a krieger barrel and a good load with 185 bergers that’s about half moa but he’s just using an old 3.5-10 Leupold. He’s wanting an optics upgrade. I’m a big fan of NF optics myself. I told him I would go with one of these two. He has mentioned that once he gets practiced up enough he will be buying/rebarreling a bigger rifle in 6.5 or 7 PRC to hunt with for long range.

What do you all recommend optics wise for this set up? Range use now, eventually ending up on a hunting rig? I own 4 NXS line and I’ve had an shv before but didn’t hold on to it long. Any experience with both or either one would be great. Hopefully we can get another LR hunter involved as long as I can show him the way.

SHV is a great scope on a budget. It's good for guys starting to learn LR and he'd have a hard time outgrowing it unless he demands additional features that really aren't necessary.

Eurooptic usually has a few demo's in stock to save a few more dollars.

ATACR or NXS all the way if it's in the budget.

Fwiw I was seeing the tenmile for the same price “ish” as the shv as recently as last week

OP
Libtard McSocalist
NXS, but I wouldn’t go more magnification than the 3-15x50 on a hunting rifle, long range or not.
I mostly hunt with a 5.5x22x50 on a 7wsm. I like the extra magnification available but I guess it’s personal preference. Maybe we should throw the 3-15 in there as well for him to consider.

mthayr

WKR
For getting into precision your friend might want to look into the F1 SHV but that's just an opinion. If he's an EMT he should reach out to direct sales from NightForce. Decent discount available for first responders, but only directly through customer service. Should bring the SHV into "EMT money" 😆

LaHunter

WKR
As per a NF CS rep, the glass in the SHV scopes is the same used in NXS. I assume the NXS is probably a better built scope due to the higher price and each undergoes the impact test before leaving the factory. That being said, I have 4 SHVs and have been happy with them, they hold zero and track true and I consider the glass to be ‘good’, but not amazing.

SHV is a great scope on a budget. It's good for guys starting to learn LR and he'd have a hard time outgrowing it unless he demands additional features that really aren't necessary.
This is true unless he eventually wants a FFP scope, since the SHV is SFP. The NXS is also SFP I think but there are FFP offerings around its price point if he wants that.

Eurooptic usually has a few demo's in stock to save a few more dollars.
If he's trying to save a bit of money I'll be selling a new (mounted but never shot) 5-20x56 illuminated SHV in a couple days once I get home to list it, plus the ARC rings I have on it for less than EO is selling their like new demo 5-20. I looked at the EuroOptic demo SHV and they're currently $1,145 though if he wants to go that route. The NXS like-new demo is $1400 if my search turned up the right one.

The SHV 4-14x50 F1 is FFP.
Yes, I was describing the SHV model the OP was talking about which is SFP. For the OP's purposes the SHV 4-14x50 F1 is probably what I'd pick even over the NXS since I'm not into SFP scopes anymore but to each their own.

SDHNTR

WKR
Neither. BecUse both are SFP and way too much magnification. FOV matters tremendously. If you want SFP, get the NXS 3-15x50. Any more mag than that in SFP is detrimental.

The NX8 4-32 F1 has become my favorite NF. It’s not perfect, does all I need it to.