Sidearm or Not?

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said weird stuff happens. I get more spooked by some of the goof balls I’ve met at CO trailheads than Montana g-bears.

Carrying is not “extra weight” to me, it’s simply a constant in the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisblue

WKR
Worked years and years outside in the west. Climbing guide, climbing ranger, trail crew, park ranger, biology tech, etc... Only time I have ever wanted something because of some weird people was close to the road, car camping etc...
I debate the value in a light weight leatherman, several extra pounds of metal just doesn't make sense to me, but they do say you pack your fears. I always carry too many snacks though.

Idaboy

WKR
If it gives you piece of mind, then go for it.,,don't hunt archery in grizz unit so I don't carry, not sure why I would use it

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry. 40 M&P Shield in non grizz country on the pack belt, and a 10mm on a chest rig in conjuction with bear spray when in grizz country. A few pounds to me makes no difference in my ability to stay light and I'd rather have it and not need it, vers need it and it's sitting in my truck. I will add the only two times I've had to use a gun in protection were in designated camp grounds camping out of my truck when Black Bears got a little curious about garbage and what's inside my trailer/tent. Hundreds of nights sleeping out of my pack and never deployed a round in that context. I have sprayed a few bears in AK though. The last shit show I wanted on my hands was shooting a G bear for wanting to eat a salmon. They don't like us NR punching holes in the bears.

chucko

FNG
Born and raised Alaskan for 60years I carry the rifle that I shoot well most folks including me are not accurate enough with a pistol . The company I used to work for won the contract for surveying every landfill in southeast Alaska carried a 10gauge for that one , Large caliber pistols require many hours of practice to become proficient

Ddubs20

FNG
I live in CO, I go back and forth when bow hunting. I carry a G29. I would like a .357 airweight. You feel the extra weight after multiple days, but I sleep better in a tent when I have it. Bears and lions never worried me that much. I will definitely be carrying now that there are 100 pound wolfs running around.

Idaboy

WKR
I live in CO, I go back and forth when bow hunting. I carry a G29. I would like a .357 airweight. You feel the extra weight after multiple days, but I sleep better in a tent when I have it. Bears and lions never worried me that much. I will definitely be carrying now that there are 100 pound wolfs running around.
I think wolves attack on human would be an exceedingly rare event

Stalker69

WKR
I carry every where, some times 22 sometimes 380 sometimes 9mm, sometimes 45, sometimes 10mm. Hunt occasionally with a 454 casull or 7mm br. 22 gets a lot of grouse, so yes I’ve used them. Never have needed it against against a bear, but have used about all of them on pigs.

Traditional sidearms suck. If you're trying to stop a methhead or a mountain bear with a 9mm, you're in a bad situation. My solution is an ultralight bolt-action .300 BLK AR pistol that weighs just over 2.25 pounds. It's not good for hunting. It's not good for defense. It's not good for anything but packing. That said, if I need to kill something/someone, that few extra pounds is so worth it.

Attachments

• AR-pistol.jpeg
    AR-pistol.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 77
p365 hard cast p+, called in a kitty one time, It was at that moment I realized I will always carry and carry in the right draw location, not stuffed in my bino harness, B/C I was to lazy to put holster on-pack belt

Southfork

FNG
Smith and Wesson 629 in Razco Holster under my Marsupual Bino Harness.

Attachments

• IMG_9409.jpeg
    IMG_9409.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9408.jpeg
    IMG_9408.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9407.jpeg
    IMG_9407.jpeg
    583.4 KB · Views: 76

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
I carry my Glock 40 S&W all the time. Tucks up underneath my bino harness so its never in the way. Chearp security if bad things happen.

I think wolves attack on human would be an exceedingly rare event
Friend shot 2 here in Idaho with a 10mm after they came at him during bow season. Not saying they target humans but he was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Matt5266

WKR
I do usually but I will admit there has been times where I left it behind cuz I didnt feel like packing it....